Countless Claims to "Answered" Prayer(s)

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Countless Claims to "Answered" Prayer(s)

Post #1

Post by POI »

We have countless claims, from Christians, to God/Jesus answering prayers for healing to human affliction(s). And by 'answered' prayer, I mean God/Jesus states -- (yes, I will grant you this prayer request to remove the human affliction).

For Debate:

1. Does God "answer" any of these prayer requests? If not, why?
2. If so, why does God/Jesus perpetually skip the following afflictions (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, cerebral palsy, dementia, diabetes mellites 1, amputation, muscular dystrophy, hunington's disease, epilepsy, parkinson's disease, paget's disease, motor neuron disease, and so on)?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Re: Countless Claims to "Answered" Prayer(s)

Post #201

Post by 1213 »

Difflugia wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:56 pm
1213 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:28 amI think this proves they can be visible with a tail in the sky.
That's a time-lapse photograph. Those "tails" are the same ones that these cars have:
Thanks, that was a good point. How about this one, can meteor look like this, without time-lapse?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #202

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:47 am
Difflugia wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:56 pm
1213 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:28 amI think this proves they can be visible with a tail in the sky.
That's a time-lapse photograph. Those "tails" are the same ones that these cars have:
Thanks, that was a good point. How about this one, can meteor look like this, without time-lapse?

Any meteor, bolide and fireball will last no more than a couple of seconds. They do not resemble comets. Rather than make irrelevant points (meteors can look like comets) about an irrelevant point (people thought comets were dragons) and that fire breathing dragons which do not exist, used as an analogy could we get back to relevant discussion rather than you trying to scrape irrelevant half - points?

POI
Prodigy

Post #203

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:46 am
POI wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:41 pm
1213 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:28 am Bible tells many things about prayer. Nothing that supports the idea that anyone can make God to do anything they want. If God would do everything that is demanded from him, Satan could for example demand that God kills himself and everyone who loves truth, and God would just do it. no, it is ridiculous and baseless to think that Bible tells God can be made to do everything everyone wants.
Why does God/Jesus perpetually skip the following afflictions (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, cerebral palsy, dementia, diabetes mellites 1, amputation, muscular dystrophy, hunington's disease, epilepsy, parkinson's disease, paget's disease, motor neuron disease, and so on)?
Sorry, I don't believe God perpetually skips the afflictions.
Then how come none of these afflictions have ever been clearly documented to be cured?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Post #204

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:37 pm
1213 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:28 am Bible tells many things about prayer. Nothing that supports the idea that anyone can make God to do anything they want. If God would do everything that is demanded from him, Satan could for example demand that God kills himself and everyone who loves truth, and God would just do it. no, it is ridiculous and baseless to think that Bible tells God can be made to do everything everyone wants.
Why does God/Jesus perpetually skip the following afflictions (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, cerebral palsy, dementia, diabetes mellites 1, amputation, muscular dystrophy, hunington's disease, epilepsy, parkinson's disease, paget's disease, motor neuron disease, and so on)?
Then how come none of these afflictions have ever been clearly documented to be cured?
Maybe because no one was documenting them the way you would accept.

POI
Prodigy

Post #205

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:47 am
Are you saying cures to the following listed conditions, after prayer, have been documented? Where?

Savant

Post #206

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:55 am
Are you saying cures to the following listed conditions, after prayer, have been documented? Where?
No, I tried to say, if those happened, it is possible that there was no one to document them in a way that you would accept as valid documents. Many things happen in this world that are not documented. Missing a document doesn't necessary mean that nothing has happened.

The Nice Centurion
Guru

Post #207

Post by The Nice Centurion »

You yourself do not realize that the illnesses you enumerate would in biblical times and middle ages not get documented under their modern med science names?
Interesting!

And as for amputated limbs growing back here you go;
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_Calanda
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

POI
Prodigy

Post #208

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:50 am No, I tried to say, if those happened, it is possible that there was no one to document them in a way that you would accept as valid documents. Many things happen in this world that are not documented. Missing a document doesn't necessary mean that nothing has happened.
I listed many conditions, and none of them have simply been formally documented, even though it happens?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #209

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:50 am
No, I tried to say, if those happened, it is possible that there was no one to document them in a way that you would accept as valid documents. Many things happen in this world that are not documented. Missing a document doesn't necessary mean that nothing has happened.
That won't do to get you out of it. Aside from appealing to unknowns as though they were evidence,. if prayer worked as guaranteed in the Gospels, even allowing for for not doing obviously absurd or harmful stuff, if it worked as guaranteed, we'd know. For certain. No doubts at all.

This is part of the 'Problem of Evil' package where God not only doesn't do what by all reason it should do, but doesn't do as per guarantee or promise, including of course not coming back in the lifetimes of those supposedly hearing His Words. Face up to it, if you can, the Gospels are just wrong, contradictory and make no sense, are full of fantastic stuff, anachronisms and advice that really is not good advice. Which is why you have to deny what it says is what it means, while also saying it means what it says - as Interpreted by you.

Savant

Post #210

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:37 pm That won't do to get you out of it. Aside from appealing to unknowns as though they were evidence,. if prayer worked as guaranteed in the Gospels, even allowing for for not doing obviously absurd or harmful stuff, if it worked as guaranteed, we'd know. For certain. No doubts at all.
Sorry, I disagree with you. Bible clearly tells how the prayers works and gives several reasons why things will not necessary go the way you pray. I believe it works as told in the Bible. And biggest reason for that is, if it would not, I don't think we would have the Bible.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:37 pm... including of course not coming back in the lifetimes of those supposedly hearing His Words. Face up to it, if you can, the Gospels are just wrong, contradictory and make no sense...
Sorry, I just can't accept things that are not true.