Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Kuan
Site Supporter

Toronto "Slut Walk"

Post #1

Post by Kuan »

[youtube][/youtube]

Does anyone else find this...weird? I dont understand what is wrong with it in any way, and for those who dont want to watch the video here is a quick summary.

"Proud" and "awesome" sluts are marching in Toronto for their right to dress like sluts. The protest is in response to a male cop who advised women to "avoid dressing like sluts" in order not to be victimized and raped.

Questions for debate: Was the cop giving bad advice? Was he interfering with their rights to dress slutty? Was the advice common sense?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Toronto "Slut Walk"

Post #31

Post by McCulloch »

richardP wrote: MY POINT is that the public parade is in and of itself immoral.
They why did you expend so much venom on the lack of attractiveness of the participants? Would it have been any more moral if they were not fat and ugly?
richardP wrote: It forces the views of a specific group of people upon those who didn't ask for it.
Well, yes. It is, as you rightly point out, political. They wish to make a point, to those who might not agree. That is what free speech and freedom of assembly are all about. Their point is that it is not acceptable to blame the victims of violent crime for their choice of clothing. Dressing like a slut should not be dismissed by the police as an invitation for rape.
richardP wrote: That is, after all, the whole purpose of a parade and it is why they did it - to force their opinions upon those who witnessed them marching down the street. They "get it", why can't you?

Yes, I get it. Their opinion, in case you missed it, is that one's manor of dress should have no bearing on criminal matters. The police don't "get it" and apparently neither do you.
richardP wrote: You continue to obfuscate and fuss - all the time errantly avoiding my assertion.
The person who spent much of three or four posts complaining about the weight and ugliness of the parade participants, now wants us to avoid obfuscation in debate. Pot meet kettle.
richardP wrote: THIS parade's theme was that dressing like a whore is ok.

Yes, the parade's messages was that dressing like a slut should be of no consequence or interest to the law enforcement authorities. And yes, even prostitutes should benefit from an impartial legal system and should be protected from unwanted sexual activity. You disagree with that message?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #32

Post by micatala »

richardP wrote:
McCulloch wrote: I believe that richardP is the one missing the point. If one takes the time to look at why these people held this demonstration, and at what provoked it, you will find that this is not merely about clothing choices. It is about the hateful bigoted attitude that blames the victims of crime for their clothing choices. "Dress like a slut and you increase your chances of getting raped" is not the message that the police should be sending to the public.
The inability to acknowledge a point made here is amazing. If I could find a cerebral jack hammer I'd use it to penetrate that concrete - attitude - entered in your posts.

Once again, because you just don't get it......

MY POINT is that the public parade is in and of itself immoral.
Why?
Because it forces the views of a specific group of people upon those who didn't ask for it.

That is, after all, the whole purpose of a parade and it is why they did it - to force their opinions upon those who witnessed them marching down the street. They "get it", why can't you?

You continue to obfuscate and fuss - all the time errantly avoiding my assertion.
Why? Are you ignorant of the political purposes of a parade, of any public demonstration?

ALL PARADES are political.
Usually most people agree with the theme. In this case they don't.

I am making a simple statement of political fact. Try to keep up, I know it's a stretch but if you pay attention you might actually learn something.

All parades are political.
THIS parade's theme was that dressing like a whore is ok.
The parade, not the clothing, is the primary immoral factor here because it forces an opinion upon the community which is beyond the scope of a standard of appearance.

If you still think I'm wrong, then please provide something other than your limited intellectual capacity to prove it.

Does anybody out there understand what I'm trying to say, or is this person the only one that can't figure it out?

It's about the parade, Einstein, not the fashion.

perhaps you can learn something about men and women in the process.....but only if you pay attention.

Moderator Comment

There is a lot of demeaning sarcasm in richardp's last two posts, especially the bolded sections above.

Please avoid such incivility.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

otseng
Savant

Post #33

Post by otseng »

Dressing like a slut might not result in rape, but it can raise the odds of men to act inappropriately.

[youtube][/youtube]

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #34

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:
Was the cop giving bad advice?
Yes and no. Though I object to raping anyone, I can't deny there's some hens that'll dress in such a manner that weakens my resolve in this regard. This is of course my problem, not theirs (insofar as I've yet to act).

I think he coulda phrased the deal better.

I support the right of folks to wear what they wish.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #35

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 27:
richardP wrote: THE POINT is that the immorality of these ugly women is forced upon the community and that it is demanded of the community to accept it.
I agree.

We oughta require the ugly'ns to cover up, and require the pretty'ns not to. And of course, being the helpful sort, I'll be the judge here.

Ladies, please send naked pics via PM to JoeyKnothead for determination on whether you're required to cover up or not.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

MagusYanam
Guru

Post #36

Post by MagusYanam »

Two things. One:
otseng wrote:Dressing like a slut might not result in rape, but it can raise the odds of men to act inappropriately.
So what? I am a man, and I consider myself responsible for my own actions. I honestly find it offensive that people - particularly other men! - will assume, simply because I have the wrong set of genitalia, that if left to my own devices I would attack and violate a woman simply because of what she is (not?) wearing.

I don't consider my sex so weak that we can't exert some self-discipline, seriously.

Two:

I'm not quite clear on the desire on the part of women to dress in such a fashion. High heels, super-short jeans et cetera don't look particularly comfortable. Men might expect and demand it via social pressure, but that's never a good excuse. If it's to 'feel sexy', doesn't that speak of some deep existential emptiness in said woman's life, that she feels the need to define herself and comfort herself based on what she chooses (not) to wear?
If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe.

- Søren Kierkegaard

My blog

Mr.Badham
Sage

Post #37

Post by Mr.Badham »

What RichardP understands perfectly well is that these women wish to change our definition of morality.

What RichardP does not seem to understand is that they are correct in doing so.

Believing a woman is a slut is immoral.

RichardP is immoral.

Slut should not be a derogatory word.

mlcole8907
Student

Post #38

Post by mlcole8907 »

Coming from a woman, that cop was as ignorant as they come to blame women as a whole for a rape. Women's clothing can be slutty (depending on how far you are willing to go) but shouldn't the blame be on a mans (unwillingness) to control his own desires? The cop makes me think he wants women to cover all the way up, as if we live in Afgainistan. But, then again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics

All these diverse countries and yet, rape still happens.

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #39

Post by Strider324 »

Rape is a crime of VIOLENCE, and has nothing to do with how a woman might dress. Rapists are 'turned on' by the opportunity to express their rage and commit VIOLENCE against a weaker person. They will rape an eighty year old nun, or an 18 month old child. Do you really think there is something sexual in that act?

Give me a break.
#-o
"Do Good for Good is Good to do. Spurn Bribe of Heaven and Threat of Hell"
- The Kasidah of Haji abdu al-Yezdi