Post #1

Post by CJK »

Simple question.

Is Evolution a Religion?

Lotan
Guru

Post #31

Post by Lotan »

Sender wrote:What have you contributed to this thread?
Sender, do you think that you might get around to telling us WHY you think that evolution is a religion any time soon? For example does evolution involve belief in and reverence for a supernatural power?
And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto His people. Exodus 32:14

Sender
Sage

Post #32

Post by Sender »

Actually lotan I am now done with this thread, I am taking the high road from here on out, but thanks for asking. I appreciate your civility.

Lotan
Guru

Post #33

Post by Lotan »

Sender wrote:...I am now done with this thread...
That's a shame. :(
Sender wrote:I appreciate your civility.
See guys, he said I'm civil! :whistle:
And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto His people. Exodus 32:14

Grumpy
Banned
Banned

Post #34

Post by Grumpy »

Sender
blowhards...gang...cowards...bullies...burn in hell...hypocrites...buttinsky...asshole...jerks...liar...legend in your own mind...putz...instigators...brain lock...unable to articulate an intelligent response...idiots...weiners...
and
Another asshole in the thread, surprise surprise surprise. If heaven and hell are real, I'll be in heaven and you jerks will burn in hell, sad yet comforting.
I, sir, am a smartazz, you are an azzhole. I never said or printed your name before your behavior melted down.
Myself, I prefer a more civil dialogue.
and your a liar too!!!

Grumpy 8)

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by micatala »

As a moderator, I would remind everyone to follow the rules which I think everyone is well aware of.

Please keep in mind that forum posters are not free to ignore the rules simply because they feel another poster has broken the rules. 'He did it first' or 'I am only responding in kind' is not an excuse or a justification for breaking the rules.

If there are any questions, respond via PM to me or one of the other moderators.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #36

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

Sorry, non Christian need not apply the bible when it is to your advantage.
By your standards, even Christians need not apply the Bible.
Actually I came back for some intelligent and civil exchanges, but I have walked into a land mine. I have not started anything with anybody. I am defending myself.
You are right, I (and everyone else, it seems) has overlooked that. Honestly, I did not even glance at the first page before replying... I saw your replies and passed judgement then and there. My appologies. Juliod was off off base (albiet, certainly not to the extent of warranting your particular choice of retorts).

Anywho, the proper response for a supposed Bible adherant (and everyone else likewise) would be thus:

Rom 12:17-21
Don't pay people back with evil for the evil they do to you. Focus your thoughts on those things that are considered noble. As much as it is possible, live in peace with everyone. Don't take revenge, dear friends. Instead, let God's anger take care of it. After all, Scripture says, "I alone have the right to take revenge. I will pay back, says the Lord." But, "If your enemy is hungry, feed him. If he is thirsty, give him a drink. If you do this, you will make him feel guilty and ashamed." Don't let evil conquer you, but conquer evil with good.

Mat 5:38-39
"You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you not to oppose an evil person. If someone slaps you on your right cheek, turn your other cheek to him as well.

1Pe 3:15
Always be ready to defend your confidence in God when anyone asks you to explain it. However, make your defense with gentleness and respect.

Enough of that, back to the topic at hand...
On to evolution...I was merely going to point out MACRO evolution takes a degree of faith that certain things happened, mostly energy creating energy and a dog as an example giving birth to a non dog. NO ONE has observed this ever happening, you have to believe or have faith it happened, thus making MACRO religious in nature.
I agree to an extent, but the difference is, evolution has (to a degree) material evidence for such occurances. We have uncovered enough bones and skeletons over the years to depict many species' exact evolutionary patterns; slight bodily alterations, gene mutations, new characteristics, ect. No one can live long enough to witness an, as you said, dog change into a non-dog. However, we can witness highly conspicuous alterations in the species as result of encountering a changing environment. Tracing these changes into the past leaves us with a perfect model of evolution in action, even though it might not be a first hand account.

Obviously, under the traditional definition evolution would not be a religion, as there is no diety involved. However, I personally prefer to adopt the more inclusive definition, "A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion." I find dictoral barriers do little more than further alienate person's submitting to opposing worldviews. The intention of all parties is the same (that is, to discover truth), and it may be better to focus on similarities such as this than the belief inpediments.

juliod
Guru

Post #37

Post by juliod »

Juliod was off off base
WHAT? Where?

Where was I "off base"?

What's the sum of the evolution-as-religion as presented here? "I think evolution requires faith therefore evolution is a religion." That insults both religion and science. The phrase "breathtaking inanity" comes to mind.

BTW, if you are going to define religion in terms of zeal or devotion, then political parties will be religions too. How does that help clarify the meaning of the word "religion"?

DanZ

steen
Scholar

Post #38

Post by steen »

Sender wrote:
Grumpy wrote:... and also because I did not think there was anyone...shall we say definitially deficient enough to actually confuse science and religion, I stand corrected.

Another asshole in the thread, surprise surprise surprise.
Could you please stick to the moderator instruction instead of the flaming trolling?
If heaven and hell are real, I'll be in heaven and you jerks will burn in hell, sad yet comforting. :D
Lame and irrelevant. Evolution has nothing to do with Christianity or lack of faith, your argument is nonsense.
I have no idea what I did to any of you, but your antagonistic behavior is reprehensible.
You seem to be talking to the mirror here?
Geology: fossils of different ages
Paleontology: fossil sequence & species change over time.
Taxonomy: biological relationships
Evolution: explanation that ties it all together.
Creationism: squeezing eyes shut, wailing "DOES NOT!"

steen
Scholar

Post #39

Post by steen »

Sender wrote:Actually I came back for some intelligent and civil exchanges, but I have walked into a land mine. I have not started anything with anybody. I am defending myself.
Nop, you are trolling, attacking and outright bearing false witness and spitting God in the eye.

steen
Scholar

Post #40

Post by steen »

Sender wrote:On to evolution...I was merely going to point out MACRO evolution takes a degree of faith that certain things happened, mostly energy creating energy
This is a false misrepresentation.
and a dog as an example giving birth to a non dog.
Another misrepresentation.
NO ONE has observed this ever happening,[/quote[]And nobody have ever stated that this would have to happen for Evolution to occur. You spewing ignorant strawmen is not evidence against anything. Rather, it is evience that you don't actually know what evolution is.
you have to believe or have faith it happened, thus making MACRO religious in nature.
Your claim is false.
Micro evolution OTOH, is good sound science, but mixing the two together IS NOT the thing to do. Pretty simple and that is all I was going to say.
So what is the difference between them? How is it that the processes in micro-evolution is limited and don't lead to whatever it is you claim to be macro evolution but have not been able to meaningfully explain or define yet?
You can tell juliod has it in not just for me but Christians in general,
I am Christian, and I say your argument is crap. You have spewed "just because I say so" unsubstantiated postulations and made lots of false claims about evolution, and now you are yammering about being called on it? If you don't like it, you merely should make sure that what you post is actually true. Then you wouldn't hear a word about it.
I on the other hand am here for constructive dialog,
Then start with constructive claims instead of bearing false witness.