By what name do you call your God?

Post #1

Post by Angry McFurious »

What name do you call your God?

Tuddrussell
Student

Post #31

Post by Tuddrussell »

I know nothing of the gods, I just do what I can, and what feels good to me.

I worship in my own way, I figure that if the gods wanted me to worship them in any particular way then they would make it known to me.

If they call me on it, i'll just remind them that they made me stupid, or didn't guide me properly... it's a bit cheeky, but that's how I do things.

I refer to the gods by their titles: The god of the sun, goddess of the moon,or the god of the forest, goddess of the earth depending on mood, or purpose.

lorene

Re: By what name do you call your God?

Post #32

Post by lorene »

Angry McFurious wrote:What name do you call your God?

Jesus

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #33

Post by JoeyKnothead »

What name do you call your God?
Weed.
Last edited by JoeyKnothead on Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #34

Post by Cathar1950 »

Lainey wrote:Angry McFurious wrote:
By what name do you call your God?
I like "Bob." :-k
What about Bob?
Great movie I laughed.

JamesWesley
Apprentice

Post #35

Post by JamesWesley »

I usually consider Thor, Odin, and the other residents of Asgard to be my Gods. I'm aware that their existence is highly improbable. That fact doesn't bother me though, as I do not worship them. I don't believe that their stories are necessarily true, but that doesn't matter. It's more about the morals of them that matter to me. To lust after knowledge and wisdom like Odin, to have honor and strength like Thor, and to be brave and fearless like Tyr.
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #36

Post by Slopeshoulder »

I use the word God, but not as a name, and not as a thing, but rather as something that points, vaguely, empherally, and incompletely to the sum of what the tradtions I like mean when they use their word for it in a non-literal way. When this doesn't work, I say the great guitarist in the sky. Or sometimes Macro-Me, but I'm kidding.

Mohana
Student

Post #37

Post by Mohana »

Goddess... Hecate... Isis...

I believe all existence has a cause but do not think of said cause as deity. Yet, I need a name as it give me a point of focus.

I am a fan of Melvin Gorham (The Pagan Bible, Pagan Reality) who says when "the cause" became aware/conscious of itself that existence/being/life/consciousness was born. All existance is the expression and exploration of the Cause/Cosmic Consciousness/Goddess.

In essence, I am the Goddess herself (as is all existence) as she looks through my/our eyes and experiences and explores herself through my/our body.

As a self-proclaimed witch (we need another user group :D ), I do not believe a god or deity acts on my behalf, but rather gives me the tools and awareness and connection to act/create for myself. This is the heart of spellwork, magic, witchcraft as I practice it. My faith and trust and belief is in myself/Goddess.

azmo
Student

Post #38

Post by azmo »

``ED``

I don't smoke weed, I grow it. Which one is worser, using it or using it to get cash?
Go hippies.

SB Habakuk
Student

Post #39

Post by SB Habakuk »

Overcomer wrote:The nanes of God found in the Bible are fascinating. The interesting thing is that the names are not just something to call him by. Each name represents a characteristic of God. Therefore, the names tell us who he is and what he does.

For example, the name Jesus means "He who saves". His name, Emmanuel, means "God with us". "Christ" means "the anointed one".

And in the Old Testament, there are many names for God. For example, Jehovah-Rapha means "God the healer". Jehovah-Jireh means "God the provider".

Here are a couple of links if you're interested in reading about this:

http://www.egospel.org/names_of_god.htm

http://www.drfry.com/Sermons/1998/Names_of_God.htm

The wonderful thing is this: If we call out with sincerity to God using any one of his many names, he will always answer!

Everybody has a god of some kind, even atheists. Whatever a person puts his faith in, whatever he focuses his life on, whatever has top priority -- that's a person's god.

Atheists often put their faith in science or logic/reason or their own intellect or their own interpretation of the world around them. They make relationships or education or their job or money and possessions the focus of their lives. These are their gods. They just don't name them.
Do you know that in Christianity - Only -God_ can name himself- All of you

Who was before him to name him\
And by what name can you bless him in your feebleness- and whimsical thought- Christianity will not be discredited by such shallow ideology and weak theology-ing, and childish prankstrer questions-

You think any name in the Bible is a Name of _God_ how can you all be so silly-

Do you not know that in Christianity- it is _God_ who names himself- it is he alone who is aware of himself

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #40

Post by Kuan »

Heavenly Father, Savior, Jehovah, God, Jesus, and some others.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.