What triggers atheism?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

harvey1
Prodigy

What triggers atheism?

Post #1

Post by harvey1 »

I've been thinking about this subject lately because some atheists on this board said at one time they were a Christian. Then I got to wondering, what would bring a Christian to the point to where they no longer believed in God?

In Christianity, the scriptures are very clear on what brings such a person to that point:
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities–his eternal power and divine nature–have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools... They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator–who is forever praised. Amen
This verse in Romans 1 clearly sums up what many Christians believe about so-called Christians who turn away from believing in God. The particular verse that is emphasized is that atheism is in response to:
  • not glorifying God
  • not giving God thanks
  • thinking became futile
  • their foolish hearts were darkened
  • exchanged the truth of God for a lie
  • began worshipping the universe rather than God
When you look at that list, the one that sticks out the most is that their "thinking became futile." That is, "thinking" in Greek is better translated as "disputing within themselves," or "questioning what is true." And, "futile" is translated as vain, empty, or foolish. Hence, they began a line of inquiry within themselves that they started doubting their beliefs in a vain and empty kind of reasoning. That is, I translate it as, "their thinking began to consider meaninglessness as meaningful."

I think that is right on the money. In all my experience with people who became atheists (which seems like the majority of atheists, although I'm not sure), what seems to be the case universally is that meaninglessness became somehow a meaningful way to think for them. So, instead of seeing purpose in creation, they began to see it as meaningless. Somehow, this soon developed into a line of thought where they "began to worship the universe rather than God."

So, what evil lurks at that point when you see meaninglessness as meaningful? In my mind, it's as Paul stated: "they claimed to be wise, they became fools." In other words, they were lured away from God by the appeal of wisdom. The same reason why Eve took the forbidden fruit from the serpent. The desire for wisdom, if not tempered with the desire to give God glory, is a subtle means by which a Christian can become at odds with God.

Therefore, here's my question. Is atheism caused by a rejection of meaning in life in order to be vainly knowledgeable, is that what is really happening? I'd like to understand what causes someone from a natural tendency to be open-minded about the causes of the universe, to be very narrow-minded about what can't be the cause.

harvey1
Prodigy

Post #41

Post by harvey1 »

JamesBrown wrote:Seriously, you know very little about me to be making sweeping generalizations like that.
Okay, I agree that I jumped to conclusions based on little information. However, please understand, I have never seen a very good atheist argument, so I don't take compassion on those who allowed their faith to be rolled under by people who's intentions are only to take away a meaningful life from people. Christians only wish to give a meaningful life to others. There's a big difference there. So, yes, I am usually rude to atheists for that reason. I have very little patience and generally I shouldn't be debating atheists. (I didn't come to this website to debate atheists, I didn't realize there were so many and I just sort of fell into doing what I know I shouldn't do.)
JamesBrown wrote:More unsupported assertions and blanket insults. Isn't this forum supposed to be about debate?
I can't help it if you don't like how I think of the subject. I'm not insulting you personally. If I am, I apologize.

JamesBrown wrote:
Well, you've converted over already, Anakin.
So now I'm being compared to the Hitler of a fictional galaxy.
No, Anakin converted back in the end. I apologize though, that you took it that way. I only meant to convey that once someone has pursued the dark path, they are unlikely to see it any other way.
JamesBrown wrote:I'll be honest. I'm fairly new to this forum, and haven't been able to plumb the atmosphere here completely. I haven't learned the posting styles of the regulars yet. In every board there are those who are worth dialoguing with, those who are best ignored, and everything in between. Bernee51 seems to speak fairly well of you. However, I can't help but wonder if you are always this insulting. You stated in your original post that Christian deconverts are narrow-minded futile thinkers who worship the universe. Someone else followed up stating that there is no such thing as a "former Christian." I'm pleased at least to see you at least admit that it is possible for a person to be a deconvert. But in this thread you've dismissed whole groups of human beings with a haughty wave of the hand, accusing us of having darkened minds, vain selfishness, and intellectual self-deception, all without any support to back your claims.
Well, it's tough trying to convey thoughts while sugar coating them for their politically correctiveness. If you want me to think of Christians who converted to atheists as a "cool thing to do," then we probably shouldn't be having a discussion. I think it is a downright shame. I'm sorry that it comes out. I wish I had more control of my temperment.
JamesBrown wrote:I was under the impression that such insults are against the rules of this forum. Again, being new, perhaps I'm mistaken. But I came here to engage in debate, not bandy suggestive philipics.
Yes, there are. I'll try to watch myself. Although, the only real personal insult was the Anakin reference, and that was meant light-heartedly. I don't really hear that kind of music when atheists express their views.

trencacloscas
Sage

Post #42

Post by trencacloscas »

Christians only wish to give a meaningful life to others.
Sure. 1700 years of assassination, corruption, Inquisitions, Crusades, collaboration with fascist authorities, oppression, slavery, superstition, burning witches, indigen genocides, holy wars and every possible crime committed under the pious name of God and The Bible... That's what I call "meaningful". :?

trencacloscas
Sage

Post #43

Post by trencacloscas »

trencacloscas: "Then, after a process, I opened my eyes to the universe..."

What kind of Christian allows their faith to be swept away so easily and without any real fight?
Tell me, ... whoever you are, when a "process" is mentioned, what do you understand by it? "Don't judge if you don't wanna be judged", does this ring a bell to you?

JamesBrown
Student

Post #44

Post by JamesBrown »

I'm not insulting you personally. If I am, I apologize.
I accept your apology, particularly in the light that I am still learning everyone's personalities. In truth, I've heard many worse insults, always by Christians. I have no intention of "taking a meaningful life from people," and I did not deconvert under pressure from anyone. We can talk all night about what a meaningful life is, but I believe that each person would give a different answer as to what a meaningful life consists of.

For some, a meaningful life would entail knowing that they are loved and valued, even when they fail. For others, a meaningful life is knowing that they are fulfilling a certain purpose or destiny. Others find meaning in discovering unknown truths about ourselves and our universe. And the list would go on and on. It seems to me that our species can only grow and thrive through communication and understanding, mutual support and encouragement. We may never agree on the fundamental mysteries of Heaven and Earth. But I believe the value lies in the search itself, even if we arrive at different conclusions. After all, as a wise man once said, "Seek, and you will find."

Overcomer
Guru

Re: What triggers atheism?

Post #45

Post by Overcomer »

bernee51 wrote:
I am not a sinner and I don't know your god
Wow! And you think Christians are arrogant! At least we recognize that we are not perfect and make mistakes. If you did know my God (who is quite willing to be yours if you would set your pride aside and admit that you aren't pure and holy and perfect in goodness and love), then you would never make such a statement. I humbly admit that I am a sinner and I am so glad that I know Jesus.

Here's another comment from above:
Hmm...Overcomer, that is not really fair. You are using a question-begging definition. It's as if someone says "true love never ends in divorce" and when you point out a case where two people who started out loving each other but then got divorced, he says that theirs was not true love... using as "evidence" the fact that they got divorced. Your argument looks like this:
"Christians are defined as a kind of people who never abandon the Christian religion. Therefore, a Christian will never abandon the Christian religion."
Clearly this is not an argument but a (questionable) definition.
Actually, you're the one not being fair. You have set forth an analogy re: true love that has nothing to do with what I said as if you think it in some way might refute what I wrote However, it doesn't.

Also, I didn't say that Christians are the kind of people who will never abandon the Christian religion. I said that a Christian is a person who is in a relationship with Jesus Christ and could never deny that he exists any more than that Christian could deny that his mother or father, sister or brother exists. You have put words in my mouth and changed what I said because you have no argument to refute it. Changing what I said so that you could come up with some kind of psuedo-refutation represents a fallacious argument.

Then there's this statement. I'm sorry. I forget who it was by, but here it is:
"To be a christian is to BELIEVE that god,holy spirit and jesus EXIST and CLAIM to have a PERCEIVED relationship with god through jesus through the PERCEIVED filling of the holy spirit"
I don't think you have the expertise to be able to assess my relationships with Jesus or anybody else. You have not provided a refutation of what I said, only your personal opinion, built on a lack of knowledge and experience. Just because you don't know Jesus, that doesn't mean that he isn't real and that there aren't others who know him. I think you should stick to what you know, not what you surmise and not what you would like to believe.

trencacloscas wrote the following:
Sure. 1700 years of assassination, corruption, Inquisitions, Crusades, collaboration with fascist authorities, oppression, slavery, superstition, burning witches, indigen genocides, holy wars and every possible crime committed under the pious name of God and The Bible... That's what I call "meaningful".
This is a tired old argument, one that I have addressed elsewhere on this board as well as others. There are people who do things in the name of God, calling themselves Christians, who don't know God at all and are not in a relationship with Jesus Christ.

And whether you people like it or not, there is a difference between someone is really a Christian and someone who merely calls himself a Christian. There are true Christians and false ones. Atheists always seem to focus on the false ones and never admit that the true ones have done some mighty fine things in this world. Not looking at ALL the evidence and information and examples is a dishonest way of approaching any topic.

I could list some of the horrible things that atheists have done in the world. Would you, as an atheist, want to be tarred and feathered along with them if you yourself are innocent of the crimes? If I point to a man who says he is an atheist who molests children, would you like me to then make the statement that all atheists are pedophiles? That's what you are doing when you point to people who call themselves Christians who do vile things in the name of God but who, in truth, are NOT true Christians following God and living out the love of Christ in their lives. That's an invalid argument as well.

Also, trrencaclosas, you made the comment elsewhere that you used to be a Christian. But you didn't explain why you think that. I told you that a real Christian has a relationship with Christ and cannot suddenly say he doesn't exist. Are you saying you knew Christ intimately and then decided that you were wrong, that he was a figment of your imagination? I repeat. You may have gone to a church and given some credence to Christian beliefs, but YOU NEVER KNEW JESUS. And if you never knew Jesus personally and interacted with him and heard his voice and fellowshipped with him, then you were never a Christian. You merely thought of yourself as one and attended a church. I"m sorry, but you haven't refuted what I said either.

Whether you people like it or not, there is a difference between true Christians and false ones. Pointing to the false ones is no argument against who Jesus Christ was and what he did on the Christ and why he did it (out of sacrificial love).

I think that, given the fact that I know Jesus personally and fellowship with him constantly, that gives me a better idea of who he is and what he did than any of you have. Atheists talking about God, Jesus, Christians, Christianity and the Bible are like a bunch of blind men describing a sunset. They haven't got a clue and they always get it wrong!

The good news is none of you has to remain in the dark. God will welcome you if you welcome him. And I can attest to the fact that knowing him is wonderful. I highly recommend it!
Last edited by Overcomer on Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

harvey1
Prodigy

Post #46

Post by harvey1 »

trencacloscas wrote:Sure. 1700 years of assassination, corruption, Inquisitions, Crusades, collaboration with fascist authorities, oppression, slavery, superstition, burning witches, indigen genocides, holy wars and every possible crime committed under the pious name of God and The Bible... That's what I call "meaningful". :?
Oh, if only I had a device where we could play with history. I'd love to show you a world where Christianity did not rise up to power.

harvey1
Prodigy

Post #47

Post by harvey1 »

trencacloscas wrote:Tell me, ... whoever you are, when a "process" is mentioned, what do you understand by it? "Don't judge if you don't wanna be judged", does this ring a bell to you?
A process sounds like something that happens over a few months or few years period. Not good enough for someone who has committed themselves to Christ. You better become a master in the philosophy of religion before you give up your faith. If you spent 15 years learning philosophy, and that's what you mean by process, then you are right, I judged incorrectly.

trencacloscas
Sage

Post #48

Post by trencacloscas »

This is a tired old argument, one that I have addressed elsewhere on this board as well as others. There are people who do things in the name of God, calling themselves Christians, who don't know God at all and are not in a relationship with Jesus Christ.
Of course... Why don't true Christians paint a cross on their foreheads, so the world can recognize the difference?
I could list some of the horrible things that atheists have done in the world. Would you, as an atheist, want to be tarred and feathered along with them if you yourself are innocent of the crimes?
No, dear, because atheism is not a religion, and if I am an atheist I don't feel or think in league with others. Neither I approve any crimes from believers or unbelievers alike. I don't have neither "brothers" and "sisters" nor a common "father" or a criminal church that gathers all its sons. And, of course, I don't belong to a religion that promised peace of any kind, and mostly brought war and pain and suffering to the world.
Also, trrencaclosas, you made the comment elsewhere that you used to be a Christian. But you didn't explain why you think that. I told you that a real Christian has a relationship with Christ and cannot suddenly say he doesn't exist.
Who said "suddenly"? Didn't I mention a process?

Are you saying you knew Christ intimately and then decided that you were wrong, that he was a figment of your imagination?
Yes, that's what I'm saying. And as you are not me, you cannot "know" anything. There is no possible "interaction" with an "entity" that doesn't exist.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #49

Post by bernee51 »

harvey1 wrote: I have never seen a very good atheist argument,
In your opinion...
harvey1 wrote: so I don't take compassion on those who allowed their faith to be rolled under by people who's intentions are only to take away a meaningful life from people.
Harv I fully undestand how clinging to the translative mythology of christianity can provide meaning and legitamacy to your existence...meaning because it links you to something you believe to be larger than yourself, and legitimacy because your life is sanctioned by that you take to be sacred.

But these are your beliefs - it is personal. What applies to you does not apply to the world at large.

Perhaps the folks who are questioning are not, or no longer, getting this meaning and legitimacy from the belief in mythology.

Why do you judge them when they are obviously gaining what you believe you have.

Most atheists I know are not proselytizers (unlike many christians) - they do not aim to take meaning from the lives of anyone.

harvey1 wrote: Christians only wish to give a meaningful life to others. There's a big difference there. So, yes, I am usually rude to atheists for that reason.
You find it easy to be rude then.
harvey1 wrote:
JamesBrown wrote:More unsupported assertions and blanket insults. Isn't this forum supposed to be about debate?
I can't help it if you don't like how I think of the subject. I'm not insulting you personally. If I am, I apologize.
It is still an unsupported assertion. Just because Harvey says so doesn't make it so.

A fine example of the inherent narcissicism of translative religious belief.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: What triggers atheism?

Post #50

Post by bernee51 »

Overcomer wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
I am not a sinner and I don't know your god
Wow! And you think Christians are arrogant! At least we recognize that we are not perfect and make mistakes.
Arrogance? How so? Who said anything about not admitting to imperfections. Who said anything about not making mistakes. All I said was that I am not a sinner. I am not a sinner because to be a sinner there must be a god to sin against. As I do not believe there is such an entity I cannot, by definition, be a sinner.

OTOH at least when I do make mistakes I do not claim that a mythological being has sent his only son to atone for MY mistakes. I take full personal responsibility.
Overcomer wrote: If you did know my God (who is quite willing to be yours if you would set your pride aside and admit that you aren't pure and holy and perfect in goodness and love), then you would never make such a statement.
It has nothing to do with pride and everything to do with self knowledge. That part of me that interacts with the phenomenal world is certainly less than perfect, impure and struggles with goodness and love. That part of me that knows this is eternal and, for want of a better word, Christ-like.
Overcomer wrote: I humbly admit that I am a sinner and I am so glad that I know Jesus.
Good for you.

I humbly submit that if you truly knew Jesus you would know that you are him.

We are all Christs and don't realize it.