Are sins equal?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Princess Luna On The Moon
Apprentice

Are sins equal?

Post #1

Post by Princess Luna On The Moon »

I'm an Atheist, but I've always been curious about the idea of sin. The bible mentions things like murder, theft, hypocrisy, homosexuality, dishonesty, adultery, and coveting to name a few specifics. Would all of these be considered the same in the eyes of god, or are some worse? If so, why? Also, why are some of these considered 'sins' in the first place, like homosexuality?

Mesopatamia
Student

Re: Are sins equal?

Post #41

Post by Mesopatamia »

[Replying to post 40 by Mesopatamia]

I'd also like to add another important point. G-d's nature is comprised of different attributes that exist together. To separate one aspect of Him without the other aspects or leaving out any aspects of Him, changes the understanding of who He is. I liken it to a cake. Trying to describe a cake by any one component doesn't work. Leaving out one ingredient, like an egg, doesn't work. A cake must have certain ingredients working together, or you may end up with either too sweet a taste, too bitter a taste, etc..

I kind of think of the different church denominations this way. They all capture certain aspects of G-d well, but heavily neglect certain aspects. Churches are much like individuals. One might really get the "reverence" aspect but neglect the relationship aspect. Another might really get the "relationship" aspect but neglect the reverence aspect. One might focus on the "truth" aspect, but forget the grace and humility aspect.

To take G-d and define Him by one aspect without the lending of all the aspects together could, in some ways, be the same as defining a person by a stereotype, rather than a loving husband, contributor of society, great father, peaceful,, loyal,, etc. We all have so much more to us; when we reduce someone by a stereotype, we are reducing someone to something no more than "invaluable". We are finding the thing we want to focus on to validate a hatred, but it is in no way a reflection of who that person really is.

Understanding G-d from a focus on "punisher" without understanding love and grace and mercy at the same time is a concept we have difficulty understanding because there is no earthly example that fully captures this. Imagine feeling completely aware of every flaw you have while at the same time feeling, for the first time fully accepted for who you are and so much love you cannot fathom. We associate shame with imperfection and cannot really identify the feeling of complete acceptance simultaneously with the complete awareness of our faults or guilt. Yet, there is no feelings of shame with G-d, because it is coupled with a healable amount of love and a peace that he fills us with.

Ancient Paths
Student

Re: Are sins equal?

Post #42

Post by Ancient Paths »

[Replying to post 1 by Princess Luna On The Moon]

To the original poster, are you still watching this discussion? I'd like to address your original post if you're still interested in engaging in this topic.