JP Cusick wrote:
KenRU wrote:
JP Cusick wrote:
It is a fact that judging "good from bad" is uncertain and confusing,
it is arbitrary and capricious, and that poisoned knowledge is never quite accurate.
While one can say that certainty is only for fools, that is still no reason to claim that we do not know what those words mean (subjective though they are).
Certainty is not for fools - certainty is for the mighty and for the bold.
And the theists apparently : )
And that poisoned knowledge is not about knowing the dictionary definition of "good and bad" ~ it is about judging anything in that perverted way.
Perverted is your opinion, and not shared by all.
That revelation about the poisoned knowledge is really the very first message of woe from the Bible, from the J source, which means that the ancient people were told this too from the beginning.
Opinion noted.
KenRU wrote:
JP Cusick wrote:
Morality needs to be judged by right and wrong,
The definition of moral does indeed encompass Good and Bad.
You are correct about that definition, and that is why people get morality confused and misguided.
No, I submit that people get confused and misguided when people start CHANGING the definitions of words to suit an agenda.
Methinks you have cause and effect backwards here.
There is no such judgmentalism between right and wrong.
Sure there is. Is it wrong to prevent same sex couples from marrying? Is it wrong to force a rape victim to carry to term a baby she doesnt want? Is it wrong to prevent a terminally ill patient in never-ending pain to end his or her own life? (I actually created a thread on this earlier, if you are interested:
viewtopic.php?p=876764#876764)
These are just some of the grey areas of right and wrong that exist today. How is this any different than the subjective conversation one has when discussing Good and Bad?
If you view the moral standards to be good - then that is wrong.
If you view the moral standard to be right, then that is wrong, and can just as easily be refuted as well.
Now that we have invalidated all forms of subjective thinking, now what?
If we seek to learn which morals are right and correct - then exclude the poisoned judgments of good from bad.
I submit that you are utilizing the same judgements (system) when determining right and wrong as one does for good and bad " a subjective system.
I really do not expect you to do this - so I am just saying it in case anyone is interested.
Well, that is good, because while I admire the effort to not judge other people unnecessarily, I submit that the world is not just black and white, wrong and right. New evidence and data informs our opinions on a daily basis. Thinking you have the answer to everything is short-sighted at best, and harmful at worst.
KenRU wrote:
JP Cusick wrote:
which is a completely different kind of judgment.
Do you concern yourself with being a Good person as well as a Right(eous) person? Or is Good character not a concern for you?
The answer is no, because those are an unsound judgments.
I am not perfect at the discipline but I do try hard to ignore any thinking or judging based on "good or bad" and I focus just on right from wrong - and it really is a huge distinction.
Right and wrong has substance - while good and bad are unstable and weak.
Can you illustrate an example for me?
Plus I do not judge myself as a right person nor as a righteous person - certainly not, but I do try to do right and to avoid doing wrong, so I do it for power and not for position.
And if doing what you believe the right thing is causes harm?
KenRU wrote:
JP Cusick wrote:
Truth is right and to lie is wrong - yes but either of those might be either good or bad depending on the circumstances - yes but to lie is always wrong and the truth is always right.
To judge morality as either "good or as bad" is to always be wrong.
Morality definition: principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.
Is the dictionary wrong?
Back to the dictionary as a God, and I do respect the dictionary Gods, but they are not infallible.
They are more infallible then an imaginary being : )
The dictionaries are just to help people to understand the language and word meanings, but the dictionaries are not infallible Bibles.
While I do not consider a dictionary as a bible, I submit that if you have to claim the dictionary is wrong about the definition of a word, then you are already admitting to a fault or weakness in your argument.
As such - then yes - the morality as told in the dictionary does include "good and bad" and that is because the poisoned knowledge is infected into our language and into human thinking and no person on the entire planet earth is immune.
How convenient. The dictionary is wrong because it has been infected. Perhaps it is infected but not the way you think? Maybe morality should not include Right and Wrong but ONLY Good and Bad?
Anyone can suppose anything. You have nothing but a preconceived bias to support this argument, convenient though it is.
In essence you are saying, yes the dictionary definition of Moral does include Good and Bad, but it doesnt fit my belief system so it must be wrong. That is circular logic.
It is a mental activity which holds the same poison in every different language and every different culture and so the poison is not limited to the English dictionaries.
Every culture is wrong but the one you ascribe to. Wouldnt this be the ultimate case of Special Pleading?