If you asked a child the quote below what would they say?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #36]

I'll ask again:

If I went up to a child and said
'Who created the heavens?

'Who created the earth?

'Who created all the people and angels?'

'Who exists before anything else exists?'

(This is taken from this thread: viewtopic.php?p=1134599#p1134599)
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Re: If you asked a child the quote below what would they say?

Post #41

Post by Wootah »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:24 am [Replying to Wootah in post #39]
First question;
Double Begging the Question Fallacy. Also it remains unclear what the questioner means with: " the heavens ".

Second question;
Double Begging the Question Fallacy.

Third question;
Triple Begging the Question Fallacy.

Fourth question;
Double Begging the Question Fallacy.
https://www.txst.edu/philosophy/resourc ... a%20circle.
Begging the Question
The fallacy of begging the question occurs when an argument's premises assume the truth of the conclusion, instead of supporting it. In other words, you assume without proof the stand/position, or a significant part of the stand, that is in question. Begging the question is also called arguing in a circle.
I didn't say,

'Who created the heavens and why is it the God of the Bible?

'Who created the earth and why is it the God of the Bible?

'Who created all the people and angels and why is it the God of the Bible?'

'Who exists before anything else exists and why is it the God of the Bible?'

You are imagining that part.

I am asking what would be the frequently given answer to a question by a child (5-10). What would your guess be?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #42

Post by The Nice Centurion »

[Replying to Wootah in post #41]
My guess❓

Toldya in Post #38❗
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Wootah
Savant

Post #43

Post by Wootah »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:02 pm [Replying to Wootah in post #41]
My guess❓

Toldya in Post #38❗
So fallacy or no fallacy?

edit: Are you demonstrating the fallacy by making a circular argument?

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #44

[Replying to Wootah in post #43]
Yeah, Fallacy !

Believe the kid !
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Wootah
Savant

Post #45

Post by Wootah »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:00 am [Replying to Wootah in post #43]
Yeah, Fallacy !

Believe the kid !
Why? Can you explain it?

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #46

Wootah wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:20 am
The Nice Centurion wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:00 am [Replying to Wootah in post #43]
Yeah, Fallacy !

Believe the kid !
Why? Can you explain it?
I honestly cannot. Too dumb is me!

But the kid would answer here:
"Assuming said things were created, assuming created by a who rather than a what, assuming the unproven existence of the (7?) heavens that are part of the catholic christian tradition, assuming the unproven existence of mythical beings like angels who sprung from abrahamitic mythology - All that hogwash begs the question!
Wouldnt you know that for yourself, Uncle Wootah?
And now gimme back my Teddy Bear at once!"🐻

Wootah
Savant

Post #47

Post by Wootah »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:35 am
Wootah wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:20 am
Yeah, Fallacy !

Believe the kid !
Why? Can you explain it?
I honestly cannot. Too dumb is me!

But the kid would answer here:
"Assuming said things were created, assuming created by a who rather than a what, assuming the unproven existence of the (7?) heavens that are part of the catholic christian tradition, assuming the unproven existence of mythical beings like angels who sprung from abrahamitic mythology - All that hogwash begs the question!
Wouldnt you know that for yourself, Uncle Wootah?
And now gimme back my Teddy Bear at once!"🐻
So God is just a Christian conception? Christians were considered atheists by the Romans by the way.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #48

Wootah wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:02 am So God is just a Christian conception? Christians were considered atheists by the Romans by the way.
Kid:
"Hey, you again?
I am having a debate here with my Teddy Bear! Cant you see that?
About honey. But very well; just to humour you:
To take care of your question: No! More presumably a babylonian conception copycated by the jews and later from them copycated by the so called christians.
To take care of your second sentence: Dont again confuse romans with greeks. It makes me nervous every time. Romans correctly considered christians as another jewish sect. Some greeks allegedly considered them atheists.
Now do you have a cookie with you for my Teddy, uncle Wootah? Please, he got so hungry from all that hogwash."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #49

Post by TRANSPONDER »

The point of the mind -experiment of asking a kid '"Who made everything, then?" is skewed because the Churches make a point of preaching to the kid as soon as possible so 'God' (name your own) is the only answer they heard. In India they would likely say Shiva.

But it no about kids but about lack of knowledge. The first gueses as Who made everything suggested a big invisible human because they knew no better. When they did know better (because science found the answers) the Churches still kept telling the people it was God and persuading them not to listen to the scientists. especially as science doesn't have all the answers (just most of them).

The right answer now is 'it happened naturally'. And, apart from science - denial, of which there is a lot about, Churches try to get away with claiming that 'Natural' is how God (name your own) did it.

The scam and fraud going on here should be obvious, even to a six year old kid. It is time we put away childish things, like religious mythology.