Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

The "Apostles Died For the Rez" Lie.

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

Christian clergy and apologists claim that "All the Apostles died instead of recanting their belief in the Resurrection."

Josh McDowell ("More Than A Carpenter, Evidence Demands a Verdict") says,
Even though they were crucified, stoned, stabbed, dragged, skinned and burned, every last apostle of Jesus proclaimed his resurrection until his dying breath, refusing to recant under pressure from the authorities. Therefore, their testimony is trustworthy and the resurrection is true.
Josh McDowell.

This is a demonstrable lie.

Sean McDowell, son of Josh McDowell, says:
If you have followed popular–level arguments for the resurrection (or ever heard a sermon on the apostles), you’ve likely heard this argument. Growing up I heard it regularly and found it quite convincing. After all, why would the apostles of Jesus have died for their faith if it weren’t true?

Yet the question was always in the back of my mind — how do we really know they died as martyrs?
(Note, he was told that lie by his father.)

The claim that all of Jesus' disciples were killed for their unwavering belief in the resurrection is a popular and often-repeated narrative. However, this claim is not entirely accurate and is based on a limited understanding of the available historical evidence.

Firstly, it is important to note that the historical record of the disciples' deaths is sparse and often unreliable. Many of the accounts of the disciples' deaths were written years or even centuries after the events they describe, and some of them contain obvious embellishments and inaccuracies.

Furthermore, there is significant debate among historians about the veracity of these accounts. Some historians argue that the disciples' deaths are well-documented and reliable, while others argue that the available evidence is too thin and contradictory to draw any definitive conclusions.

Even assuming that the accounts of the disciples' deaths are accurate, it is not clear that they were all killed specifically because of their belief in the resurrection. Many of the disciples lived and died in relative obscurity, and there is little or no historical record of how or why they died.

For example, we know almost nothing about the deaths of most of the disciples, including James the Less, Thaddaeus, and Simon the Zealot. The accounts of the deaths of Peter and Paul are somewhat more reliable, but they provide no evidence that these disciples were specifically targeted for their belief in the resurrection.

Moreover, it is worth noting that many religious figures throughout history have been persecuted and even killed for their beliefs. The fact that the disciples were killed for their beliefs does not necessarily make those beliefs true, nor does it provide any evidence for the resurrection itself.

In conclusion, while it is certainly possible that some or all of the disciples were killed for their beliefs, it is far from clear that this is the case. Furthermore, even if the accounts of the disciples' deaths are accurate, they do not provide any evidence for the resurrection itself. Therefore, the claim that the disciples were all killed for their belief in the resurrection is a problematic and oversimplified narrative that should be approached with caution.

1. To what extent do the deaths of the apostles prove the veracity of the resurrection story?
2. Can we trust the accounts of the apostles' deaths as historically accurate, or are they subject to bias and myth-making?
3. Is it possible for someone to be so convinced of a belief that they are willing to die for it, even if the belief is not true?
4. How do we reconcile the apostles' willingness to die for their belief in the resurrection with similar accounts of martyrs in other religions?
5. Do contemporary Christians have a responsibility to question the historical accuracy of their religious texts and teachings, or is faith sufficient?
6. If the clergy is lying so easily about this, what are we to believe about their other claims?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

The Tanager
Savant

Re: The "Apostles Died For the Rez" Lie.

Post #81

Post by The Tanager »

POI wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:49 pmDoes Jesus fulfill prayer or not?
What do you mean by "fulfill"? Jesus answers prayer. Jesus doesn't give everyone what they necessarily want.

POI
Prodigy

Post #82

Post by POI »

The Tanager wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:13 pm
POI wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:49 pmDoes Jesus fulfill prayer or not?
What do you mean by "fulfill"? Jesus answers prayer. Jesus doesn't give everyone what they necessarily want.
Does he ever give earnest praying folks what they want?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

The Tanager
Savant

Post #83

Post by The Tanager »

POI wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:20 pmDoes he ever give earnest praying folks what they want?
I believe so.

POI
Prodigy

Post #84

Post by POI »

The Tanager wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:02 pm
POI wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:20 pmDoes he ever give earnest praying folks what they want?
I believe so.
Then why does he not ever give amputees, ones with Cerebral Palsy, or type 1 Diabetes what they want? Which is to mean, "Jesus, please rid me of this affliction." You know, like he seemed to do so in the Bible times? Maybe because a postmortem Jesus does not exist?.?.?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

The Tanager
Savant

Post #85

Post by The Tanager »

POI wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:08 pmThen why does he not ever give amputees, ones with Cerebral Palsy, or type 1 Diabetes what they want? Which is to mean, "Jesus, please rid me of this affliction." You know, like he seemed to do so in the Bible times? Maybe because a postmortem Jesus does not exist?.?.?
Or maybe he doesn't think it is for their good. Some of those who have prayed for such have ended up praising God for not healing them of such, for many, because of how their story impacted their life and trust on God as well as those around them. Jesus didn't heal everyone of their ills back then either. Those kinds of healings weren't Jesus' primary aim then, so why should they be now? The possibility that this is because Jesus doesn’t exist isn’t enough to show Jesus doesn’t answer prayer or didn’t resurrect.

POI
Prodigy

Post #86

Post by POI »

The Tanager wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:55 pm
POI wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:08 pmThen why does he not ever give amputees, ones with Cerebral Palsy, or type 1 Diabetes what they want? Which is to mean, "Jesus, please rid me of this affliction." You know, like he seemed to do so in the Bible times? Maybe because a postmortem Jesus does not exist?.?.?
Or maybe he doesn't think it is for their good.
Quite convenient, isn't it? No one with amputated limbs, Cerebral Palsy, or Diabetes 1 ever receive answered prayer from Jesus. Maybe if they had curable conditions, some would be "answered"?
The Tanager wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:55 pm Some of those who have prayed for such have ended up praising God for not healing them of such, for many, because of how their story impacted their life and trust on God as well as those around them.
Note the word (some). In this case, we have not one documented case where someone's limb grew back (unless it is an ancient unverified story - much like what we see from the Bible), or Cerebral Palsy that was removed after birth, or one's Diabetes 1 being reversed. You would think there would be some? Again, quite convenient.
The Tanager wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:55 pm Jesus didn't heal everyone of their ills back then either.
Okay, but He healed some. And yet, we do not see some amputees, or some people with CP, or DM1, being cured? Again, quite convenient.
The Tanager wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:55 pm Those kinds of healings weren't Jesus' primary aim then, so why should they be now?
Right, but again, we don't even see some? Why are these three conditions completely skipped? Is it because they are not curable? Hmm? We know Jesus cured the incurable, in the Bible, right? We also know he rose the rotting dead, right? Why does Jesus exclude the incurable conditions now, but grant answered prayer to the curable? Hmm?
The Tanager wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:55 pm The possibility that this is because Jesus doesn’t exist isn’t enough to show Jesus doesn’t answer prayer or didn’t resurrect.
Thus far, assuming a postmortem-prayer-answering-Jesus doesn't exist is the most rational answer, as it requires the least amount of additional "spin".

The Tanager
Savant

Post #87

Post by The Tanager »

POI wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:42 pmQuite convenient, isn't it? No one with amputated limbs, Cerebral Palsy, or Diabetes 1 ever receive answered prayer from Jesus. Maybe if they had curable conditions, some would be "answered"?
Not any more convenient than the one who says these prayers aren’t answered because maybe a postmortem Jesus doesn’t exist. As far as no one ever receiving that healing, we can’t say that. Some people claim they have received such healing. Many of those are impossible to verify one way or the other.
POI wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:42 pmNote the word (some). In this case, we have not one documented case where someone's limb grew back (unless it is an ancient unverified story - much like what we see from the Bible), or Cerebral Palsy that was removed after birth, or one's Diabetes 1 being reversed. You would think there would be some? Again, quite convenient.
Why should one think there would be some? This is an argument from silence. It is not less spin than alternatives and, even if it is, would still have to deal with other evidence for Jesus' postmortem existence as simplicity woudn't be the deciding factor.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #88

Post by TRANSPONDER »

The Tanager wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:55 pm
Or maybe he doesn't think it is for their good. Some of those who have prayed for such have ended up praising God for not healing them of such, for many, because of how their story impacted their life and trust on God as well as those around them. Jesus didn't heal everyone of their ills back then either. Those kinds of healings weren't Jesus' primary aim then, so why should they be now? The possibility that this is because Jesus doesn’t exist isn’t enough to show Jesus doesn’t answer prayer or didn’t resurrect.
This is just the excuse for why prayers aren't answered. It is the perfect system for covering up a lie - It didn't happen because it was not right that it should happen. But - like pretty much everything else, it would look just the same if there was no god. So it is in fact de facto evidence for no god, unless you produce some decent evidence. I know you work on God is real unless (prayer fails) disproves God, and all you need is an excuse. But the way it logically works is no reason to believe in a god, until there is some decent evidence.

I don't hear it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were 'answered prayers' in other religions. Why aren't those evidence for their religions?

The Tanager
Savant

Post #89

Post by The Tanager »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:37 pmThis is just the excuse for why prayers aren't answered. It is the perfect system for covering up a lie - It didn't happen because it was not right that it should happen. But - like pretty much everything else, it would look just the same if there was no god. So it is in fact de facto evidence for no god, unless you produce some decent evidence. I know you work on God is real unless (prayer fails) disproves God, and all you need is an excuse. But the way it logically works is no reason to believe in a god, until there is some decent evidence.

I don't hear it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were 'answered prayers' in other religions. Why aren't those evidence for their religions?
I didn't say 'answered prayers' were evidence for Christianity. I'm not saying it's why you should believe in God. If that was the claim being analyzed, you'd have something, but it's not. The claim being talked about is that unanswered prayer is positive evidence for there being no god. No one has established that these prayers are being unanswered, just that it's not being answered in the way you want it to. It's pure speculation that would leave the rational person in agnosticism on God's existence unless they had other arguments and reasons to believe or disbelieve in God. You would be right to keep your conclusion on God's existence for those reasons (assuming they are good ones, of course) and the same with Christians.

POI
Prodigy

Post #90

Post by POI »

The Tanager wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:08 am
POI wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:42 pmQuite convenient, isn't it? No one with amputated limbs, Cerebral Palsy, or Diabetes 1 ever receive answered prayer from Jesus. Maybe if they had curable conditions, some would be "answered"?
a) Not any more convenient than the one who says these prayers aren’t answered because maybe a postmortem Jesus doesn’t exist.

b) As far as no one ever receiving that healing, we can’t say that. Some people claim they have received such healing.

c) Many of those are impossible to verify one way or the other.
a) If the claim is that a postmortem prayer answering Jesus exists, this can be falsified -- (minus the Christian apologetics which will be sure to come here, as expected).

b) Of course not. We only have the reports we have ;) Even though there exists countless reports of "answered prayer" formally and informally... And yet, where the amputees, Cerebral Palsy, and DM1 are concerned, not-so-much. BTW, my uncle has Cerebral Palsy. I possess an amputation. And my best friend's daughter has DM1. We have countless requested prayer, via petitionary and intercessory prayer alike, to no avail... Let me guess...? You are not going to pray for us for a cure? Or maybe such afflictions are for our own good? Or maybe all amputees, and all people with CP, and all people with DM1, need to have/keep these afflictions? God's response is no? God isn't really in the healing business which means millions are mistaken about saying they are being healed or God does heal millions -- (which, if actually true, possibly makes your prior statement completely incorrect).

c) No they are not impossible. Amputees , people born with CP, and people with DM1, CAN demonstrate a cure to their afflictions. So why is God skipping us, or any of these (3) afflictions entirely? The simplest answer would still be the same, which requires no "spin". No such postmortem prayer answering Jesus exists.
The Tanager wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:08 am
POI wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:42 pmNote the word (some). In this case, we have not one documented case where someone's limb grew back (unless it is an ancient unverified story - much like what we see from the Bible), or Cerebral Palsy that was removed after birth, or one's Diabetes 1 being reversed. You would think there would be some? Again, quite convenient.
a) Why should one think there would be some? b) This is an argument from silence. c) It is not less spin than alternatives and, even if it is, d) would still have to deal with other evidence for Jesus' postmortem existence as simplicity woudn't be the deciding factor.
a) So Jesus always skips "answered prayer" requests for these (3) afflictions?
b) More of the "argument from silence" apologetics. IF a postmortem prayer answering Jesus exists, some of these requests would be fulfilled. Just like we have some answered prayer for all the requests to help with stuff which is curable/other, via "natural processes". Instead, there exists 'spin' and excuses as to why these (3) afflictions are not addressed, instead of adhering to the most reasonable and logical answer, that a postmortem prayer answering Jesus does not exist.
c) My response is not spin. My answer is a postmortem prayer answering Jesus does not exist. No extra spin necessary or required.
d) IF a postmortem prayer answering Jesus is claimed to exist, you would see some people with amputated limbs, CP, and DM1, being reversed -- just like you see with some claimed "answered prayer". (i,e,) Stuff which would not require the help or aid of a postmortem prayer answering Jesus.
Last edited by POI on Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.