How do you know God is the good guy?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

The Happy Humanist
Site Supporter

How do you know God is the good guy?

Post #1

Post by The Happy Humanist »

In another thread, I was told that true morality is found by following God. God, we are told, is the source of absolute morality, the final arbiter of good and evil in the universe.

How do we know this? How do we come to assume that God's good is really good? Sure, we are told as much by the Bible. But it's one thing to accept the Bible as God's word...but what if he's lying?

What I'm asking is, what is it about God that makes you so sure he's the good guy, the one you should be following? And how can you trust your instincts in this regard, when you believe he is the source of your moral compass in the first place? Would it not be possible for a Supreme Being to plant a moral compass in you that automatically registers his words as "good", no matter what?

So? Discuss!
:xmas:

chrispalasz
Scholar

Post #91

Post by chrispalasz »

HannahJoy:

As a literal translation in my parallel NT in Greek and English I have this (the greek here is the same as in mine:

"And again going forth out of the district of of Tyre he came through Sidon to the sea of Galilee in the midst of the disctrict of Decapolis."

I don't think it matters either way. The passage seems clear to me.

If you ever want the Greek, you can click this link below. Each verse is a picture, so you can link it straight to your posts:
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~fisher/ ... pters.html
On Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/chrispalasz
Blog http://www.teslinkorea.blogspot.com

"Beware the sound of one hand clapping"

"Evolution must be the best-known yet worst-understood of all scientific theories."

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #92

Post by bernee51 »

GreenLight311 wrote:Often times you label points that I make as one of the fallacies... particulalry straw man and slippery slope. I do not believe you are making the correct assertion when you label some of my arguments. That is why I continue to make points that you continue to label. I have been ignoring those labels because I believe you're wrong. So, I will continue to ignore the one's that I believe are wrong until you A) stop labeling them, or B) expand on your response beyond the label.

Thanks
~GL
That is a fair comment GL - and I think you will find, I do, in most cases, give my reasons for believing it to be a fallacy. I will continue to call a fallacy when I believe there to be one. If you do not agree with my reasons it rests on you to come up with an argument as to why that is not the case - as you ave done so above. Incidentally, I am going to accept your response (above) on face value, even though I believe you have expanded a little on your original post to remove (or defuse?) what I considered to be the fallacious aspects.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #93

Post by bernee51 »

Tigerlilly wrote:
Bernee uses the term "True Christian" when referencing the meaning that I use. If you wish, you can do the same.
No True Scotsman Fallacy.
Actuallly I use the term "True Christian (TM)".

Yes it is a fallacy - GL takes it as a compliment.

Just so GL knows why it is a fallacy (apropos of my previous post) here is an interesting little story illustrating the meaning of the term.

The Happy Humanist
Site Supporter

Post #94

otseng wrote: Be reminded to stay on the issue at hand:
jimspeiser wrote:In another thread, I was told that true morality is found by following God. God, we are told, is the source of absolute morality, the final arbiter of good and evil in the universe.

How do we know this? How do we come to assume that God's good is really good? Sure, we are told as much by the Bible. But it's one thing to accept the Bible as God's word...but what if he's lying?

What I'm asking is, what is it about God that makes you so sure he's the good guy, the one you should be following? And how can you trust your instincts in this regard, when you believe he is the source of your moral compass in the first place? Would it not be possible for a Supreme Being to plant a moral compass in you that automatically registers his words as "good", no matter what?
--------

Yes, I too would like to return to the matter at hand. We've branched out into apologetics, which is an entirely different topic - one I intend to address myself, in an upcoming post.

GL, your answer to the question, "How do you know God is the good guy" is basically that one knows after one receives the Holy Spirit. But elsewhere you stated that it is necessary to believe in the Holy Spirit before you can receive it. It seems to me that once one is inclined to believe in the Holy Spirit, one has already decided that God is the good guy. This to me points up the circularity of the entire thought process. There is no opportunity for a "reality check." Also, you have said that you don't believe that it's necessary for one to be a believer prior to having the "experience" that you had (I assume this "experience" is different from, or prior to, receiving the Holy Spirit). Yet it seems this experience is required in order to believe in Christianity and the Bible as intensely as you do. I think its obvious from our debates that we skeptics are not about to ease up on our demand that the Bible make sense. So it is obvious that something like the "experience" you mention is required for us to become believers. We can't help that; it's the way our brains are wired. Belief is not a simple matter of choice. We did not "choose" to reject your God. The BS detectors in our brains have served us so well in the past that we do not see a reason, nor a way, to bypass them just because we're talking about an alleged supernatural entity. And in spite of your valiant attempts at reconciling Biblical passages with reality, they have fallen far short of the mark. We see no reason, for instance, why someone would walk north to go south. Its possible that he did, of course, but its more parsimonious that the writer simply made a mistake, one which invalidates the infallibility of the Bible.

So the Bible is not good enough for us. We must have "the experience." Why do you suppose it has been denied to some of us? And for some of us, it has been denied despite quite sincere efforts. What do you make of that part of "God's plan"?
Jim, the Happy Humanist!
===
Any sufficiently advanced worldview will be indistinguishable from sheer arrogance --The Happy Humanist (with apologies to Arthur C. Clarke)

Karl
Student

The "moral compass" and "the experience"

Post #95

Post by Karl »

(jimspeiser - Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:09 pm)
....Yes, I too would like to return to the matter at hand. We've branched out into apologetics, which is an entirely different topic - one I intend to address myself, in an upcoming post.
My opinion on your statement above is that with regard to your original thread topic How do you know God is the good guy? and apologetics, the two are inextricably linked. And you did say in your opening remarks: "But it's one thing to accept the Bible as God's word...". Determining if it was or was not, if biblegod "was the good guy", and thus making the bible a valid "moral compass" would involve apologetics, would it not?

Since literalist fundmentalists consider the bible to be the "only way to be "saved""(as per the fear-based cosmic protection racket foisted on its votaries by the church hierocracy for all of these centuries), and the "inerrant" "word" of "perfect" biblegod, this is how they attempt to validate their exclusionist claims as to the "moral compass". Additionally, to some of the fundamentalist Christians, all others, even in some cases including some other Christians who may not subscribe to their particular brand (out of the many dozens of brands) of dogma are also doomed to perdition and "going to "hell"".

My take on the "moral compass" is that, barring no other education or training, it comes from something we call conscience. I thought it would be interesting to include some data collected from prison populations, which indicates that atheists had proportionally lower incidences of incarceration than those who claimed to be Christians in the particular study referenced below. The following cited from: http://www.holysmoke.org/icr-pri.htm
from an article, letter and associated data complied by Rod Swift

I have expanded the figures to provide a % of the total respondents, and I have ranked them (they were presented to me alphabetically). These stats were obtained from their computer on 5 March 1997.

Dear Mr. Swift:

The Federal Bureau of Prisons does have statistics on religious
affiliations of inmates. The following are total number of
inmates per religion category:

Response Number %
---------------------------- --------
Catholic-- 29267-- 39.164%
Protestant-- 26162-- 35.008%
Muslim-- 5435-- 7.273%
American Indian-- 2408-- 3.222%
Nation-- 1734-- 2.320%
Rasta-- 1485-- 1.987%
Jewish-- 1325-- 1.773%
Church of Christ-- 1303-- 1.744%
Pentecostal-- 1093-- 1.463%
Moorish-- 1066-- 1.426%
Buddhist-- 882-- 1.180%
Jehovah Witness-- 665-- 0.890%
Adventist-- 621-- 0.831%
Orthodox-- 375-- 0.502%
Mormon-- 298-- 0.399%
Scientology-- 190-- 0.254%
Atheist-- 156-- 0.209%
Hindu-- 119-- 0.159%
Santeria-- 117-- 0.157%
Sikh-- 14-- 0.019%
Bahai-- - 9-- 0.012%
Krishna-- 7-- 0.009%
---------------------------- --------
Total Known Responses 74731-- 100.001% (rounding to 3 digits does this)

Unknown/No Answer 18381
----------------------------
Total Convicted 93112 -- 80.259% (74731) prisoners' religion is known.

Held in Custody 3856 (not surveyed due to temporary custody)
----------------------------
Total In Prisons 96968

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Sincerely,

Denise Golumbaski
Research Analyst
Federal Bureau of Prisons

Now, let's just deal with the nasty Christian types, no?

Catholic-- 29267-- 39.164%
Protestant-- 26162-- 35.008%
Rasta-- 1485-- 1.987%
Jewish-- 1325-- 1.773%
Church of Christ-- 1303-- 1.744%
Pentecostal-- 1093-- 1.463%
Jehovah Witness-- 665-- 0.890%
Adventist-- 621-- 0.831%
Orthodox-- 375-- 0.502%
Mormon-- 298-- 0.399%

Judeo-Christian Total-- 62594-- 83.761% (of the 74731 total responses)
Total Known Responses-- 74731

Not unexpected as a result. Note that atheists, being a moderate proportion of the USA population (about 8-16%) are disproportionately less in the prison populations (0.21%).
It is also interesting to note that Wiccans, Druids & Kemetic Pagans do not even make this list.

With regard to "the experience", myself and people I know have had what could be termed "Mystical" Experiences. These are not religion-dependent, as they can come to those who are Open to Receive them. Unfortunately for the fundie Christian, this Experience has to be run through the filter of dogma. As I have said before, everyone has the right to choose whatever religion they want to, or to follow no religion at all if that is their choice. The dedication to and devotion to the Divine within, of those who do acknowledge Universal Higher Power/Intelligence, including Pagans, Christians, Hindus, Muslims, etc. etc. is respected and unquestioned by this writer. What WILL BE QUESTIONED, however, are exclusionist claims such as "the only true religion", the only "inerrant""word" of God,"the only way to be saved", "going to "hell" if they don't believe it or practice it, the only "moral compass",etc. Such extraordinary claims demand PERFECT proofs, in light of the fact that these claims are for texts said to be "divinely inspired".
.....And in spite of your valiant attempts at reconciling Biblical passages with reality, they have fallen far short of the mark......
I concur. In ancient times, precepts and teachings (on the "moral compass", etc.) were encoded in Myth and Religious Drama in Holy Books. As we have seen, problems arise when these are literalized, thus becoming absurd and indefensible. As you pointed out, dogma following from cross-referencing OT Myth with NT pseudepigraphy and Religious Drama can lead to...circularity. Similar Teachings and Precepts existed in many religions of antiquity. The Madonna & Child and the Isis/Osiris/Horus Triad were on the walls of Egypt for millenia before Christianity. Many moral teachings similar to Christianity were in the Eastern religions beforehand. See this interesting site for examples:
http://www.atributetohinduism.com/Hindu ... luence.htm
....I think its obvious from our debates that we skeptics are not about to ease up on our demand that the Bible make sense.....
Indeed. Especially in light of the claims that it is "the only way to be "saved"". Of course, if the book doesn't make sense literally, it's unlikely that derived dogma will either.....

K
In Ma'at

(Mystical Kemet)

qstns
Student

Re: How do you know God is the good guy?

Post #96

Post by qstns »

[quote="The Happy Humanist"]

I believe God is good cause evil or bad could not exist with out good. If one can not exist w/out the other then clear it's dependancy shows its not more powerful. However, good can exist alone. We do good things in life cause its the right thing to do. We do evil cause it serves a selfish desire. Evil is not done for evil's sake.

I also believe we all do have a "moral compass". With out it we (people all over the globe) would would never argue. ie..there would be no baases for such discussion/debate.

Ex. It is standard thought a traitor of a country or of confidence is bad. That thought is known even in small 'tribal' areas of Africa. If one has a knowledge or right and wrong then they have a third thing. That third thing is what told them there is a right and wrong. Therefore the third thing can not be one of the other things "the right or the wrong"

I believe it is that 'third thing" we are hearing the "moral compass" of God..or maybe even the voice of God that he put in all of us. IT is that voice that helps us reconize when good is done or when unfair things are done. We all agree good or the right right things is preferred. If so, why? Leads to another time when I can post more. But I believe there is a connection between the moral compass and God.

The Happy Humanist
Site Supporter

Post #97

qstns wrote:
The Happy Humanist wrote: What I'm asking is, what is it about God that makes you so sure he's the good guy, the one you should be following? And how can you trust your instincts in this regard, when you believe he is the source of your moral compass in the first place? Would it not be possible for a Supreme Being to plant a moral compass in you that automatically registers his words as "good", no matter what?
I believe God is good cause evil or bad could not exist with out good. If one can not exist w/out the other then clear it's dependancy shows its not more powerful. However, good can exist alone. We do good things in life cause its the right thing to do. We do evil cause it serves a selfish desire. Evil is not done for evil's sake

Wow, a blast from the past! Welcome aboard, qstns!
I believe God is good cause evil or bad could not exist with out good. If one can not exist w/out the other then clear it's dependancy shows its not more powerful. .
But we don't know that there is a definite, external force called "evil." Evil may simply be the lack of good, as dark is the lack of light.
However, good can exist alone. We do good things in life cause its the right thing to do. We do evil cause it serves a selfish desire. Evil is not done for evil's sake.
This all sounds very humanistic. No need for God in this scenario, so far!
I believe it is that 'third thing" we are hearing the "moral compass" of God..or maybe even the voice of God that he put in all of us. IT is that voice that helps us reconize when good is done or when unfair things are done. We all agree good or the right right things is preferred. If so, why? Leads to another time when I can post more. But I believe there is a connection between the moral compass and God.
OK, so my question remains, how can you trust that moral compass to tell you what is really, truly good? You are assuming that if it comes from God, it must be good. But if you were required to independently judge whether God is good, how would you do it, if your goodness detector was wired by God himself? How independent would it be?

We're gonna make ya think here, qstns, so be ready!

:P
Jim, the Happy Humanist!
===
Any sufficiently advanced worldview will be indistinguishable from sheer arrogance --The Happy Humanist (with apologies to Arthur C. Clarke)

qstns
Student

Post #98

Post by qstns »

The Happy Humanist wrote:
What I'm asking is, what is it about God that makes you so sure he's the good guy, the one you should be following?
So? Discuss!
:xmas:
Fist of all thank you for your welcome. I have enjoyed this forum and find many thought provoking topics.
Ok, now on wit the show.

Above you say "what is it about God that makes you so sure he's the good guy, the one you should be following?"

Then from that statement I can assume that you belive in good...? May I also assume you believe that the word good can be used to describe a standard of behavior?

As for you other comments, please know I'm not avoiding them. It's just, I think, maybe, by the time we end our debate ( if that is ever possible) they will be addressed.

I hope we can agree on this as a fair place to start, based on the subject line of this thread.

The Happy Humanist
Site Supporter

Post #99

Then from that statement I can assume that you belive in good...?
Well, "believe in" makes it sound as if you mean, do I believe that there is some kind of Cosmic Energy called "Good". I do not. "Good" to me is a human value that can only be judged in reference to human-related situations. In my worldview there is no Absolute Good, and there does not need to be.

May I also assume you believe that the word good can be used to describe a standard of behavior?
Yes, among other things. It can also be used to describe the taste of a tiramisu.
Jim, the Happy Humanist!
===

qstns
Student

Post #100

Post by qstns »

The Happy Humanist wrote:
Then from that statement I can assume that you belive in good...?
Well, "believe in" makes it sound as if you mean, do I believe that there is some kind of Cosmic Energy called "Good". I do not. "Good" to me is a human value that can only be judged in reference to human-related situations. In my worldview there is no Absolute Good, and there does not need to be.

I kinda thought this would be your answer. I did not want to assume so and go on with a thought until I had your answer. If you do not belive in an absolute good, then it will be hard for us to ever come to an agreement. I also believe that you can not ask the question that you posed without a belief in good. Your question has a presub that good is constant. It also, says God is real.

May I also assume you do not belive in logic?
May I also assume you do not belive in right and wrong?
What is knowledge to you, and how do you go about acquiring it?

After I receive you answer I'll try to relate to you why I belive what I do. I do know in my attempt do to so will not chage your worldview. Proof is not persuasion. If you are not persuaded it does not mean I have not offered to you proof.

May I also assume you believe that the word good can be used to describe a standard of behavior?
Yes, among other things. It can also be used to describe the taste of a tiramisu.
You my friend, and I, can totaly agree on something. :P