Contradictions in Holy Books

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Pazuzu bin Hanbi
Sage

Contradictions in Holy Books

Post #1

Post by Pazuzu bin Hanbi »

Take a work of fiction, say the Middle Earth of JRR Tolkien, or Frank Herbert’s Dune, or Scott Westerfeld’s The Risen Empire. I haven’t hunted through them for contradictions, but it remains entirely possible that the author made these fictional worlds internally coherent, and containing no contradictions.

How does this prove the validity of the claims made in the writings themselves though? If a Bible or Qur’ân can be shown as completely coherent and containing no contradictions, how does this prove that god exists and that the scriptures’ particular version of god actually exists?
لا إلـــــــــــــــــــــــــــه

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

Lacking contradictions is a necessary attribute of a Holy Book. Demonstrating that it lacks contradictions is a requirement for one who claims to have a Holy Book, demonstrating that it has contradictions helps those who would refute it, but is not necessary.

Life is not fair.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Kadmon
Banned
Banned

Contridiction Of The Disciples

Post #3

Post by Kadmon »

Was The Hour Of The Crucifixion The Third ( 3rd ) , Sixth ( 6th ) Or Ninth ( 9th Hour ? Most

Mark 15 ; 25 , And I Quote ; And It Was The Third Hour , And They Crucified Him ''

Mark 15 ; 33 - 34 , And I Quote ; And When The Sixth Hour Was Come , There Was Darkness Over The Whole Land Until The Ninth Hour . And At The Ninth Hour Jesus Cried With A Loud Voice Saying , Eloi , Eloi , Lama Sabachthani ? Which Is Being Interpreted , My God , My God , Why Has Thou Forsaken Me ?

Matthew 27 ; 45 - 46 , And I Quote ; Now From The Sixth Hour There Was Darkness Over All The Land Unto The Ninth Hour . And About The Ninth Hour Jesus Cried With A Loud Voice , Saying , Eli , Eli , Lama Sabachthani ? That Is To Say , My God , My God , Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me ?

If This Quote Is Correct Then . According To The '' Holy '' Bible , The Pharisees , Who Set Forth To Crucify Jesus . Violated The Sabbath ; Something Which They Accused Jesus Of Doing When He Healed A Man On The Sabbath ( Matthew 12 ; 10 - 12 ) This Means At The Third Hour The Took Him To Be Crucified After Three Long . Tormenting Hours On The Cross , Darkness Spread And Persecuted Him . Three More Hours Passed ( The Sixth Hour ) , At The End Of Which Time He Was Nearing Death . According To The Gospel Of Matthew , In Despair , He Cried Out Into God '' .... Why Has Thou Forsaken Me '' ? Does This Sound Like Something That A Prophet Of God Might Say To His Creator , Especially One As Devoted To The Service Of God As Jesus ? No , It Doesn't .

Now The Book Of John And Luke Agree And Say That It Was The Sixth ( 6th ) Hour .

John 19 ; 14 - 16 , And I Quote ; And It Was The Preparation Of The Passover , And About The Sixth Hour ; And He Saith Unto The Jews , Behold Your King ! But They Cried Out , Away With Him , Away With Him , Crucify Him . Pilate Saith Unto Them , Shall I Crucify Your King ? The Chief Priests Answered . We Have No King But Caesar . Then Delivered He Him Therefore Unto Them To Be Crucifed . And They Took Jesus , And Led Him Away .

Luke 23 ; 44 And I Quote ; And It Was About The The Sixth Hour , And There Was A Darkness Over All The Earth Until The Ninth Hour .

Matthew , Confirm The Mark Account , And Luke Confirms John . Why The Confusion ? With Such Contradictory Accoounts Of The Life And Ministry Of Yashu'a , Isa , Jesus , Its No Worder That The Tomb Was Visited By Mary Magdelene Who Came From The Tomb Alone .

John 20 ; 1 , And I Quote ; The First Day Of The Week Cometh Mary Magdalene Early , When It Was Yet Dark , Unto The Sepulchre , And Seeth The Stone Taken Away From The Sepulchre .

This Version Was Attributed To John Who Was Not Present At The Crucifixixion , Burial Or Removal Of The Body From The Tomb . The The Matthew Account In Matthew 28 ; 1 Claims That There Were Two Women Who Came To The Tomb ; Mary Magdelene And The '' Other Mary '' . This '' Other Mary '' Of Which The Quote Speak In The Mother Of James , Son Of Alphaeus .

Matthew 28 ; 1 , And I Quote ; In The End Of The Sabbath , As It Began To Dawn Toward The First Day Of The Week , Came Mary Magdalene And The Other Mary To See The Sepulchre .

Flipping The Pages To The Gospel Of Mark 16 ; 1 Which Was Written By Mark The Nephew Of Barnabas , We Find That It Says That There Were A Total Of 3 Woman Who Came To The Sepulcher .

Mark 16 ; 1 , And I Quote ; And When The Sabbath Was Past , Mary Magdalene , And Mary The Mother Of James , And Salome , Had Bought Sweet Spices , That They Might Come And Anoint Him .

Then According To Luke 24 ; 10 Mary Magdalene , Joanna , Mary The Mother Of James And Other Women Bought Sweet Spices To The Sepulcher .

Luke 24 ; 10 , And I Quote ; It Was Mary Magdalene , And Joanna , And Mary The Mother Of James , And Other Women That Were With Them , Which Told These Things Unto The Apostles .

Thus , The Question Still Remains Unanswred . How Many People Came To The Grave Site Early Sunday Morning , And Who Were They ?

Coyotero
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Coyotero »

I would suggest that Tolkien and Herbert are not nearly as old of documents. Nor have they been through nearly as many translations and revisions.

van
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by van »

What hour of the crucifixion are you trying to tie down? When Jesus was first nailed to the cross? When HE died?
http://christianity.about.com/od/bibles ... lhours.htm

What many people consider to be contradictions are actually more bits of information to give a very detailed history of the events. Remember GOD inspired men to write the message of the Holy Bible in their own words, how they saw things and what they witnessed.

So much more credible then say just one man saying he is a prophet as is the case of Mohammad, no other witnesses to revealations. Any man can say I am a prophet of himself!

Then we have Uthmann collecting all the various qurans and burning all but a few. Why were those others destroyed!?!

TrueReligion
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by TrueReligion »

van wrote:What hour of the crucifixion are you trying to tie down? When Jesus was first nailed to the cross? When HE died?
http://christianity.about.com/od/bibles ... lhours.htm

Whats the proof you have of Jesus being nailed or tied by hands on cross? any verse from Bible?

What many people consider to be contradictions are actually more bits of information to give a very detailed history of the events. Remember GOD inspired men to write the message of the Holy Bible in their own words, how they saw things and what they witnessed.

So much more credible then say just one man saying he is a prophet as is the case of Mohammad, no other witnesses to revealations. Any man can say I am a prophet of himself!

There are many witness of Muhammad, who authenticate, and Islam was not vanished as christianity was in its early days. Its a big difference between Islam and christianity authenticity.

Then we have Uthmann collecting all the various qurans and burning all but a few. Why were those others destroyed!?!
Its not true, wats your source and evidence? incomplete statement

TrueReligion
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by TrueReligion »

Here are some main contradictions in Bible, from these its clearly obvious that its not a word of God, instead writen by some unknown men getting dreams after eating heavy food.

Contradiction No. 6. We read in 2 Samuel 24:13: “So Gad came to David, and told
him, and said unto him, Shall seven years of famine come unto thee in thy land? However we read in 1 Chr. 21:12: “Either three years famine or.... “The contradiction is quite obvious, since the former statement speaks of seven years of famine while the latter statement mentions only three years of famine referring to the same occasion. The commentators of the Bible have admitted that the former statement is erroneous.
Contradiction No. 7. In 2 Kings 8:26 we find this statement: “Two and twenty years
old was Ahaziah when he began to reign; and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. “In contrast with the above statement we read in 2 Chr. 22:2: “Forty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign... “This contradiction speaks for itself. The latter statement is obviously wrong and the commentators on the Bible have admitted this to be the case. It has to be wrong because the age of Ahaziah’s father, Jehoram, at the time of his death was 40 years and Ahaziah began reigning just after the death of his father as is known from the previous chapter. In this case if we did not negate the latter statement it would mean that the son was two years older than his father.
Contradiction No. 8. In 2 Kings 24:8 it is stated that: “Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign... “This statement is contradicted by 2 Chr. 36:9 which says: “Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign... “The contradiction is more than obvious. The second statement is erroneous as will be shown later in this book. This has been admitted by Bible commentators.
Contradiction No. 9. There is an obvious contradiction between the statements of 2
Samuel 23:8 which state: “These be the names of the mighty men whom David had: The Tachomonite that sat in the seat, chief among the captains; the same was Adino the Eznite; he lift up his spear against eight hundred, whom he slew at one time.� and 1 Chronicle 11:11 which state: “And this is the number of the mighty men whom David had; Hashobeam, and Hachmonite, the chief of the captains; he lifted up his spear against three hundred slain by him at one time.� Both are talking of the mighty men of David. Adam Clarke, making comments on the former statements of 2 Samuel, has quoted Dr Kennicot as saying that the verse in question contains three great distortions. This requires no further comment.
Contradiction No. 10. It is stated in 2 Samuel 5 and 6 that David brought the Ark to
Jerusalem after defeating the Philistines, while chapters 13 and 14 of 1 Chronicles,
44 describing the same event, make David bring the Ark before the defeat of Philistine. One of the two statements must be wrong.

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

Well, if there are true contradictions in the Bible, where one statement has to be false, how can we be certain that any particular statement in the Bible is true?

TrueReligion
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by TrueReligion »

Miles wrote:Well, if there are true contradictions in the Bible, where one statement has to be false, how can we be certain that any particular statement in the Bible is true?
This my friend any neutral theologian may answer you, but you can decide yourself
Example, check contradiction # 7 and 8, you can decide which 1 is correct

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

TrueReligion wrote:
Miles wrote:Well, if there are true contradictions in the Bible, where one statement has to be false, how can we be certain that any particular statement in the Bible is true?
This my friend any neutral theologian may answer you,
Not having a neutral theologian at hand, and because you apparently know what they would say, I put the question to you: in light of the fact that we know there are fallacious statements in the Bible, how can we be certain that any particular statement in the Bible is true?
but you can decide yourself
Well, my decision is that one can't be certain, but this is hardly the approach of many believers.
Example, check contradiction # 7 and 8, you can decide which 1 is correct
Example of what? And how am I supposed to decide which is correct? And what difference does it make what I might decide?