Can Christians be Materialistic?

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Hammer

Can Christians be Materialistic?

Post #1

Post by Hammer »

So here's the scene:

One day me and my cousins decided to watch the new installment of The Punisher movie (A comic character from Marvel Comics Franchise). So while we were watching, one of the actors/characters starts swearing his head off and saying EVERY swear word imaginable. So my aunty got angry and ORDERED (not asked), us to turn it off and never watch it again!

She started talking to us about how we should never give in to flesh/materials of the world and shouldn't even watch movies because they are fake and do not glorify God in any way. She even told us that we should'nt listen to music that don't glorify His name. I know some great Christian bands, but they don't say "God" or "Jesus" and my aunty has asked me not to play them at her house.

So here's the question and im hoping this is legitimate to go in here. Does God really "Forbid" us from ever watching movies that do not glorify His name? Is it even considered a sin if we watch this movies and listen to these songs?

Let's say for arguements sake, when i say movies, i mean ALL genres of movies. Same thing for everything else that you come up for. (e.g: All genres of music, all genres of TV shows, etc, etc.)

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

I think it's really an individual decision.

One example, we had a family reunion on a cruise. And some of us went to go to see a movie. I forgot what it was. But, right into the movie, it was gd this and gd that. So, I walked out on the movie. But, my cousins were there too, but I didn't force them to stop watching it, even though I had hoped they would've followed me out.

It's one extreme to only watch things that "glorify God". Then there's the other extreme of watching "sinful" things. But, there's somewhere in the middle where one has to decide for him/herself what is appropriate and not appropriate.

d10sfan

Post #3

Post by d10sfan »

I feel that we should refrain from doing anything that is against God's will for our lives. That can be different for person to person.

If listening to that sort of music or those movies does not cause you to sin, then it may be ok for you.

Usually what I try to do with stuff like that is ask myself, "Will doing x lead me to a place where it could be easy to sin?", or simply "Will doing x lead me to sin?". If the answer is yes, then I try to refrain from doing those things. If no, then I may do that if it isnt against God's will.