YHWH

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

Skyangel
Banned
Banned

YHWH

Post #1

Post by Skyangel »

This is a personal study I did on the tetragram. I have put it in bible study as information for anyone who is interested.
Readers, please feel free to comment or add more information or even debate or question it as you please.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The tetragram known as YHWH does not appear in the bible till Genesis 2.

These four letters are usually transliterated from Hebrew as IHVH , JHWH , JHVH, YHWH in different languages. In English translations this has been variously rendered as "Yahweh" or even occasionally as "Jehovah", based on the Latin form of the term,
In English translations, it is often rendered in capital and small capital letters as "the LORD", following Jewish tradition which reads the word as "Adoni" ("Lord") out of respect for the name of God and the interpretation of the commandment not to take the name of God in vain.

The Hebrew letters are
Yod Image
Hey Image
Waw (or vav) Image
Hey Image

The pictographs are
ImageArm and closed hand... Meaning -- Work, Throw
ImageMan with arms raised.....Meaning -- Look, Reveal, Breath
Image Tent Peg.... Meaning -- Add, Secure, Hook
Image Man with arms raised.....Meaning -- Look, Reveal, Breath

( Pictogram information source= http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/3_home.html )

This word is translated as LORD.
It has the meaning of working, putting things together, showing them or revealing them, making things stable, secure, rock solid, living, breathing revelation.

The Lord is a living breathing revelation of LIFE and work and how things work and ought to work together for good.

I find it very interesting and amusing that in the English language we sometimes say "HEY" to gain the attention of another person and that "Hey" is the name of the Hebrew symbol which basically means pay attention and look at what I am showing you.
I also find it very interesting that the pictograph "HEY" is a picture of a man with his arms stretched out.

It personally reminds me of the following things >

* A cry for help
* An attempt to attract attention
* Sacrifice
* Surrender
* Worship

This tetrogram, to me suggests a way of life which is about teaching and learning from others. It is about paying attention to life and living things. It is about being aware of our surrounding and the people around us who need help, guidance, direction etc and to give that help when and where we can. When the human race works together in this way, all peoples needs should be met and no person would ever be starving or in poverty ever again because all would help one another and care for each other and make sure everyone has at least the basics in life to survive.

To understand the tetrogram YHWH translated as Lord, it is necessary to understand Jewish thinking and concepts.
From what I have learned about it, Hebrew thinking is very practical and real when it comes to spiritual things. They think in tangible practical ways.
Western thinking is far more abstract and unrealistic when it comes to spiritual things. Western thinking tends to create an image of a superhuman being ruling the planet. This is incorrect and impractical thinking which tends to create a "religious fantasy land" which is ruled by "a ghost" or some "imaginary spiritual king" in the sky.

According to my research, the background meaning of the word LORD conveys a principle and concept of a very practical way of life. It is not an old man in the sky who sits on a throne like a king ruling a lot of subjects.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Lord (adonai) v Jehovah/Yaweh (tetragrammaton)

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

**Hebrew for LORD (Adonai heb: ADN) �ֲדֹנָי
and the tetragrammaton (Yaweh/Jehovah heb: YHWH) הֹוָה
are obviously two different words.

To refer to the "adonai" (LORD) as a "translation" of the tetragrammaton is incorrect; it is in fact a replacement or a substitution of one word for another. "Adonai" is no more a translation for the tetregrammaton than "femme" (french for WOMAN) is a "translation" of the name "Penelope".
http://www.patheos.com/Library/Glossary/Adonai.html

Both words have different root meanings.

Matthew
Student

YHVA

Post #3

Post by Matthew »

Presumably,pronounced, "inhale and exhale" and spelled using all four semi-vowels.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Kuan »

Very interesting. I have found that I dont trust the bible because the intended meaning in hebrew is not the same of the english meaning we find today. Would you agree with that or disagree?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Matthew
Student

Post #5

Post by Matthew »

Very interesting. I have found that I don't trust the bible because the intended meaning in Hebrew is not the same of the English meaning we find today. Would you agree with that or disagree?

I would agree,to some extent. That is why it is important that it's books be read in their respective language and context.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Kuan »

Matthew wrote:
Very interesting. I have found that I don't trust the bible because the intended meaning in Hebrew is not the same of the English meaning we find today. Would you agree with that or disagree?

I would agree,to some extent. That is why it is important that it's books be read in their respective language and context.
Yes, im not extreme on the extent as I probably looked in my previous post, but I find that its possible that the original intent of some versus might be the wrong intended meaning.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Guy

Re: YHWH

Post #7

Post by Guy »

Skyangel wrote:This is a personal study I did on the tetragram. I have put it in bible study as information for anyone who is interested.
Readers, please feel free to comment or add more information or even debate or question it as you please.
Hello, Skyangel. This is my first post on this forum. I registered when I saw your thread. I'm sorry that it's so long in coming. I'm not sure how many people regularly post here, but I thought this topic might use some correction. I hope it assists rather than hinders your studies.
Skyangel wrote:The tetragram known as YHWH does not appear in the bible till Genesis 2.
I'm not sure that this remark is necessary. It's probably stated backwards. It should be mentioned that the name is used from the beginning of Genesis (starting in chapter 2) all the way to the end of the Hebrew Bible. If it hadn't appeared until chapter 15 or until the book of Exodus, then it would draw attention in the "does not appear until" sense.
Skyangel wrote:These four letters are usually transliterated from Hebrew as IHVH , JHWH , JHVH, YHWH in different languages. In English translations this has been variously rendered as "Yahweh" or even occasionally as "Jehovah", based on the Latin form of the term.
Which four letters? You haven't commented yet that YHWH is anything more than English letters. Are you implying that English letters are transliterated into English and Latin, etc.? You should remark before this that your original "YHWH" is a representation of the Hebrew letters yod-heh-vav-heh.
Skyangel wrote:In English translations, it is often rendered in capital and small capital letters as "the LORD", following Jewish tradition which reads the word as "Adoni" ("Lord") out of respect for the name of God and the interpretation of the commandment not to take the name of God in vain.
It's not [font=Times New Roman]�ֲדֹנִי[/font] "Adoni" but [font=Times New Roman]�ֲדֹנָי[/font] "Adonai" (there's a difference of a vowel mark in Hebrew). You might remark, though, that this tradition most likely began in the time of the Second Temple. There's every reason to believe that before that time the Name was spoken in regular greetings and in general usage. At this point, we're unsure about the correct vocalization of the name. You should also include that in your report.
Skyangel wrote:The pictographs are...

( Pictogram information source= http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/3_home.html )
Contrary to what that website suggests, there is no evidence that Hebrew was ever written in those pictograms. Ancient Phoenician certainly appears in pictograms, but by the time that the Moabites, Hebrews and other Canaanite groups picked up the writing system, it had already converted over to an alphabetic system. They used "Paleo-Hebrew," and of that we have good evidence.
Skyangel wrote:This word is translated as LORD.
It has the meaning of working, putting things together, showing them or revealing them, making things stable, secure, rock solid, living, breathing revelation.

The Lord is a living breathing revelation of LIFE and work and how things work and ought to work together for good.
Where did you get these meanings?
Skyangel wrote:I find it very interesting and amusing that in the English language we sometimes say "HEY" to gain the attention of another person and that "Hey" is the name of the Hebrew symbol which basically means pay attention and look at what I am showing you.
Whatever meanings we have in English, these should have no bearing on how we understand the Hebrew of the Bible. We have to get away from this type of thinking, not base our analyses on it.
Skyangel wrote:I also find it very interesting that the pictograph "HEY" is a picture of a man with his arms stretched out.
Originally, it was more like the blowhole of a whale. The letter had to do with allowing air in, not with raising your hands in prayer or whatever. Those pictograms are very suspect.
Skyangel wrote:It personally reminds me of the following things >

* A cry for help
* An attempt to attract attention
* Sacrifice
* Surrender
* Worship
Again, that's your personal reaction. It doesn't help us get to the heart of the meaning of the Name. I haven't seen anything here that really gets to what the name means.
Skyangel wrote:This tetrogram, to me suggests a way of life which is about teaching and learning from others. It is about paying attention to life and living things. It is about being aware of our surrounding and the people around us who need help, guidance, direction etc and to give that help when and where we can. When the human race works together in this way, all peoples needs should be met and no person would ever be starving or in poverty ever again because all would help one another and care for each other and make sure everyone has at least the basics in life to survive.

To understand the tetrogram YHWH translated as Lord, it is necessary to understand Jewish thinking and concepts.
From what I have learned about it, Hebrew thinking is very practical and real when it comes to spiritual things. They think in tangible practical ways.
Western thinking is far more abstract and unrealistic when it comes to spiritual things. Western thinking tends to create an image of a superhuman being ruling the planet. This is incorrect and impractical thinking which tends to create a "religious fantasy land" which is ruled by "a ghost" or some "imaginary spiritual king" in the sky.

According to my research, the background meaning of the word LORD conveys a principle and concept of a very practical way of life. It is not an old man in the sky who sits on a throne like a king ruling a lot of subjects.
I'd disagree with most of your conclusions. All you've done so far is look at each letter and try to construct the letters into meaning. Hebrew has words and roots, you know? They're quite independent of any letter tricks.

Would you be interested in discussing the actual meaning of the Name itself? If so, I'm game.

Best regards,
Guy

Dr.Barre
Student

Jehovah

Post #8

Post by Dr.Barre »

The word, Jehovah, was formed by taking the vowels of 'adonai to vocalize yhwh. In this sense, the form is artificial and reflects a certain pious attitude toward the name of the deity. I am of the opinion that the full name of Yahweh is yahweh saba'oth: he causes to be armies. The notion of causing armies "to be" does not speak of creation of armies but rather the mustering of them as the leader of these mustered troops. Perhpas the most eloquent expression of Yahweh as a leader in war is found in Exod 15:2--

"Yahweh is a warrior
that's what his name means!"

I discuss this interpretation of early Yahwism here:

http://www.biblicalheritage.org/God/el-goi.htm

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Re: YHWH

Post #9

Post by Yahu »

[Replying to Skyangel]

It is hand, behold, nail, behold in the paleo-hebrew, ie 'behold the nail (pearced) hand'. It is a picture of Yeshua.

Davidjayjordan
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Davidjayjordan »

This from cyverspace but I am not allowed to tell you where

Vibrating Vowels of YAHWEH

The Name of the Lord is all-powerful because everything came into being from Him. When He spoke, the worlds were
created (Genesis 1). But everyone doesn't know the name of the Lord. Some only understand Him as the 'Creator', others the
'Great Spirit', or even more religious names like 'Allah' or even 'God'. His private personal and intimiate Name was only for
those that had a heart for Him and were privy to knowing such a powerful weapon. And for this reason, His most sacred
NAME was kept secret throughout the ages, even until now.

In Hebrew, His Name is written as YHWH, but these are just the four consonants or Tetragrammaton, that elude to His
Name because the vowels that make it vibrate with power are unwritten. These vowels were not to be written down so that the
heathen could mock His Name nor even know his Name. Only the High priest of the temple and a few others were privy to
this pronounciation, and the High priest only spoke it once a year on the day of Atonement.

For only after he had prepared his heart and mind and body for entry into the darkened Holy of Holies, was he brave
enough to dare say the Lord's name out loud and that with the greatest of respect and honour. Doing anything else was
'death, because a literal curse is upon those that would use it in the wrong way or at the wrong time. For wehen it says
"Thou shalt not use the Name of the Lord Thy God in vain" the Lord meant it, especially with His most intimate and
powerful Name. His Name can literally only be used by those that Love Him and have no righteousness of their own, but give
all glory and honour back to their Creator and Maker

His Name in our English language is sometimes pronounced Jehovah, because with a short a, long o, and long a
sounding vowels, YHWH beomes Yahweh, which sounds like Jehovah. This translation pronounciation thread gets rather
complicated, yet to make it simple it all stems back to Joshua and the word Jesus, because as we should know Jesus is
Jehovah and is God.

And sure the Lord of Lords knows whenever we are thinking of Him or addressing Him, no matter what language we are
using because he understands all languages and all the thoughts and intents of our heart, still it has to be said that He does
have a sacred uneffable, all-powerful name by which we can do miracles if our heart is right and RIGHT with HIM.

For it seems from esoteric scriptures, and science that we have to be able to say it with all our hearts which means with all
our strength. And to do this, we have to be able to vibrate His voweled Named exactly and right from the bottom of our heart
or Diaphram. It seems there's just something special about this pure forceful sound ... not only the exact notes, the exact
vibrational series of password keys, but also the combination of saying it with a pure believeing heart from the bottom of our
hearts with absolute faith.

For as mentioned before faith is more than just semantics, but an actual vibration we carry and which comes out in our
voices. It can't be faked or copied. The Lord knows His sheep and their names and the sheep know the Lord and His NAME
and will follow no other.

If we call unto Him, He will answer .

Jer 33:2
Thus saith the LORD the maker thereof, the LORD that
formed it, to establish it; the LORD [is] his name;

Jer 33:3
Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great
and mighty things, which thou knowest not.

So there is something very special and even dangerous about knowing and using the Name of the Lord, but if we are His
and are doing His Will, then surely we need not fear, and He will show us His Name and His Power and that more and more
until the perfect Day of His Coming

In My Opinion

David Jay Jordan