Harold Campings Failed Prediction

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Harold Campings Failed Prediction

Post #1

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Harold Camping predicted the end of the world again and got it wrong again. He persuaded a lot of too eaily persuaded folk. Some spent their savings.

Will the failed prediction open the eyes of the gullible segments of Christianity. Will they begin to question their pastors harder? Will it help folk to let go of biblical literalism?

Is Camping just foolish or wicked or both?

Board
Scholar

Re: Harold Campings Failed Prediction

Post #2

Post by Board »

Furrowed Brow wrote: Will the failed prediction open the eyes of the gullible segments of Christianity. Will they begin to question their pastors harder? Will it help folk to let go of biblical literalism?
The blissfully ignorant will always exist. The only way to change them is to change the leaders they follow.
Furrowed Brow wrote: Is Camping just foolish or wicked or both?
Definitely foolish. Wicked depending on what happens with all the money his little group gathered. Anyone know if he has skipped town yet and living on a private island somewhere?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Goat »

Furrowed Brow wrote:Harold Camping predicted the end of the world again and got it wrong again. He persuaded a lot of too eaily persuaded folk. Some spent their savings.

Will the failed prediction open the eyes of the gullible segments of Christianity. Will they begin to question their pastors harder? Will it help folk to let go of biblical literalism?

Foolish?? He made millions of dollars selling this message.
Wicked?? All those people who trusted him, sent money to them, and ruined their lives for him.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by Adstar »

Furrowed Brow wrote:Harold Camping predicted the end of the world again and got it wrong again. He persuaded a lot of too eaily persuaded folk. Some spent their savings.

Did Camping state that his prediction was a prophecy given to him from God?

From what i have read. Camping made a prediction from his calculations. So strictly speaking Camping cannot be called a false prophet. Just a guy who made a calculation based on his understanding that failed.

I do hope the outcome will cause people to question and check what their preachers say. But sadly i think there are just too many people who want someone to just tell them what to do and when to do it.

All Praise The Ancient of Days

salvation2011
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by salvation2011 »

Adstar wrote:

From what i have read. Camping made a prediction from his calculations. So strictly speaking Camping cannot be called a false prophet. Just a guy who made a calculation based on his understanding that failed.

I do hope the outcome will cause people to question and check what their preachers say. But sadly i think there are just too many people who want someone to just tell them what to do and when to do it.

Agree... lazy people who wont read for themselves. I get it, bc I was once right there with them and thought I understood all I needed to bc of what I heard in sermons and what I thought I had "read" in the bible. I now know that simply reading certain passages, will definitely lead you in a direction especially when coupled with bible study class talk with a group of people who believe the same small section of the entire passage or verse or book etc.... group think. Group think can instill group illusion!

I say... read the bible, one book at a time, not one verse at a time... you have to get the context or everything is biased.

:)
Let those who have ears hear, those discerning ones will see the truth, not what the world wants them to see as "truth." Let your biases go so you can truly hear the word of God...

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by Adstar »

salvation2011 wrote:
Adstar wrote:

Agree... lazy people who wont read for themselves. I get it, bc I was once right there with them and thought I understood all I needed to bc of what I heard in sermons and what I thought I had "read" in the bible. I now know that simply reading certain passages, will definitely lead you in a direction especially when coupled with bible study class talk with a group of people who believe the same small section of the entire passage or verse or book etc.... group think. Group think can instill group illusion!

I say... read the bible, one book at a time, not one verse at a time... you have to get the context or everything is biased.

:)
Agreed. I read the bible like that. Context is everything.

In fact the original Bible was just written as a selection of books to be read like books. The "verse" system was introduced a lot later.

Also as i have read the bible i see where Chapter confines seem to break into two different chapters what really should be one chapter. So it another reason to read the bible books not confining oneself to chapters and verses.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

PS: Just looked up on the net tring to find out when the verse system in the bible was introduced. I read that a french printer named Robert Stephens created the first versed Bible in 1551.

historia
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by historia »

Furrowed Brow wrote: Will the failed prediction open the eyes of the gullible segments of Christianity. Will they begin to question their pastors harder? Will it help folk to let go of biblical literalism?
In fact, paradoxically, it seems to encourage such belief.

Consider, for example, that William Miller (1844) and Charles Russell (1914) both made failed predictions of the end of the world, and were more widely followed in their day than Camping.

Today, close to 25 million people belong to churches that trace their teachings back to these men, including the Seventh Day Adventists (to Miller) and Jehovah's Witnesses (to Russell, and indirectly Miller).
Furrowed Brow wrote: Is Camping just foolish or wicked or both?
He strikes me as sincere, and so in that way foolish. Although he seems almost willfully naive about his role in all of this, taking no responsibility at all for the damage he has caused in the lives of those who followed him.

officer2002
Student

Post #8

Post by officer2002 »

I do not see the connection between biblical literalism and Harold Camping making up things that are not in the Bible. He did not read "...May 21, 2011..." in the Bible. I believe the parts of the Bible (which are translated correctly) literally and knew from the first time that I heard Harold Camping's prediction that he was wrong.[/quote]

Honibaz
Student

Post #9

Post by Honibaz »

I'd answer yes to the foolish part, but probably more self-deluded rather than wicked to the second. Will the failed prediction open the eyes of the gullible segments of Christianity - who knows, as there are always people who want to be on the "inside" with their "special knowledge" of what's going to happen next.

If you want a really good example of someone who merely insinuates these types of things, look no further than Chuck Missler. This guy is very careful to not come out and make declarative statements, but rather walks right up to the edge of making them, thus leaving the audience in a state of near-panic about what might take place. He did this personally in front of group I was a part of back in October of 1998, when talking about the upcoming Y2K crisis. While not telling people directly to sell their homes, buy cattle, ready-to-eat dehydrated meals, and ammunition for the upcoming doomsday...the clear insinuation was that if you were a "smart and discerning" person, you'd be ready to do these things in order to survive while everyone else was suffering through catastrophe. Of course, you could always go in the back of the foyer and buy one of his books on these fantastical subjects for $19.99 (perhaps I could pay for it with Ameros from soon-coming North American Union)

Will they begin to question their pastors harder?...Probably not, but I'm also betting that a majority of atheists and secular humanists wouldn't begin to question Richard Dawkins or anything written in a Dan Brown novel either.

Will it help people let go of Biblical literalism?...Probably not any more than a secularist letting go of the magical world of Darwinian evolution. Anyone up for a Piltdown Man?

riverslivnwtr
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by riverslivnwtr »

Adstar wrote:

it is my undertsanding that he has recalculated for sometime in October or November..the bible says that there would be false prophets and he is one in that he predicted a certain thing it doesn't have to be from God .since he used God words from the bible.... whenever someone makes a prediction like that you should run for the exits.... :lol: :lol:

oh and by the way when Jonestown happened I was a newborn Christian and I had just finished reading the bible entirely for the first time.... so my judgment on those who fell with Jim Jones is that they should have read the bible.. but of course understand that some of them had read the bible ..it's just that they probably saw it their way...

It opened my eyes..to John 14, 15, & 16..and 17 too...
made me read my bible over and over again..especially the New T...
I saw many things that even to day are not mentioned in Churches things Jesus said which are not in the minds of Christians ......secrets..which would make you faith infallible...formidable in Christ....promises that are exceeding great as Peter says in chapter one verse four in either 1st or 2nd Peter... :yikes: