Homosexuality

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

blondiefreak890

Homosexuality

Post #1

Post by blondiefreak890 »

Ok ive recently been broken up w/ by my gf.(yes im bisexual)I dont really kno y she broke up but she said sumthin about this guy getting up and talking in church camp.He explain how its wrong and sinful and ppl shouldnt do it or be involved w/ the opposite sex.I dont understand because its her choice not hes and i no he had a right to get up thier and say it but its not his choice its hers.Why should he say something like that when its defently not his choice?
~blondiefreak890~

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by ST88 »

Hi blondiefreak890,
I'm not sure I understand your question. If you are asking if it's OK for someone to disapprove of another person's lifestyle and call them "sinners", then there's already a thread for that, here. Do you have a different issues you'd like to bring up?

It would also help if you didn't use e-speak. We encourage plain English here as there are users who are both unfamiliar with those conventions and also non-native English speakers who may find it difficult to follow. Thanks.

rapture101
Student

Post #3

Post by rapture101 »

Are you sure you have the facts right? Maybe she felt God and the message she got was that its not what he wants....... im just suggesting it

rapture101
Student

Post #4

Post by rapture101 »

Are you sure you have the facts right? Maybe she felt it was God talking to her heart. im suggesting you make sure you got your facts

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Re: Homosexuality

Post #5

Post by Bugmaster »

Gah ! I could barely parse that at all. Can you please edit your post and re-write it in plain old English ? It's very difficult to understand you, otherwise.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Cathar1950 »

I suggest you find another girl friend or boy friend or one of each.
Your to young to worry about Marriage so just date.
He most likely said those things because thatis wha he believes.
She may be confused depending on her age. It is something she will have to work out.

steen
Scholar

Post #7

Post by steen »

She has the choice to listen to rightwing fundamentalist hate mongers if she so cares.

If she actually listens to them, then I personally feel you are better off without her and thus free to look for somebody who are not ashamed off or doubting themselves. But then, I don't live your life, so you don't have to listen. But if it sounds relevant, I am glad to have been able to help.
Geology: fossils of different ages
Paleontology: fossil sequence & species change over time.
Taxonomy: biological relationships
Evolution: explanation that ties it all together.
Creationism: squeezing eyes shut, wailing "DOES NOT!"

scorpia
Sage

Post #8

Post by scorpia »

He explain how its wrong and sinful and ppl shouldnt do it or be involved w/ the opposite sex.I dont understand because its her choice not hes and i no he had a right to get up thier and say it but its not his choice its hers.Why should he say something like that when its defently not his choice?
So, it's wrong for some guy to talk about his opinion of right and wrong because of the choices someone else made?

Sender
Sage

Post #9

Post by Sender »

On an adult level it is their choice to participate in a homosexual or straight lifestyle.

melikio
Guru

Not really a "lifestyle".

Post #10

Post by melikio »

[Note: Sender, this is not about you or your comments per se.]

I'm not debating the rightness/wrongness of homosexuality.

And no, the question in the OP wasn't very clear.

I would ask though, what do people think/believe a "homosexual lifestyle" is.

And also, if you think it's fair, loving or just, to hound homosexuals as many tend to.

To me, the term "lifestyle" may apply to some in certain ways, but it is NOT a proper description of what homosexuality (the orientation or the acts) entail.

If it's about a "lifestyle", then many who oppose homosexuals, should also be after heterosexuals. Heterosexual people and their "lifestyle" are certainly not free of the very things homosexual people are too often criticized for.

Seriously, if someone saw my "lifestyle" or that of many others who happen to be homosexual, they'd know exactly what I'm talking about.

I can see a problem if someone wants SEX, and pursues it with every fiber of their being (just as many HETEROSEXUALS I know, tend to do), but not ALL homosexual people live that "lifestyle" that many have "imagined" they do. They go to work, pay taxes, maintain a household, watch a little TV, eat food...etc. And yes, some of them are practically celibate, (even if they yearn for the physical affection many who are straight seek OPENLY).

That (heterosexual) "lifestyle" isn't seen as negative, though it can easily be as hedonistic and destructive as any other. Personally, I don't accept the term "lifestyle" as it refers to homosexuality, because it is typically so misused; and when it is used, it usually implies what is NEGATIVE about homosexuals.

So, when I begin to hear people commonly refer to the "heterosexual lifestyle" (whatever that might actually be), I might be more accepting of the term wen it is applied to gay people. Gay people are no more responsible for THEIR "sinfulness", than straight people certainly are; yet gay people are socially reviled as if they (and their "lifestyle") are THE problem that needs to be eliminated. The hypocrisy is overwhelming, and it say little which is positive for Christianity (overall).

I can agree that Christians should call sin as they see it, but the negative labeling employed by many to pull homosexual people down (unintentionally or otherwise), needs to be questioned. What people have basically done (and there is nothing new about it), is justify ways of dehumanizing and punishing others. It's effective, but God doesn't ignore things that hurt people (at least by "faith", that is what I try to believe).

I don't think/believe it is God's intention to heap punishment or rejection upon gays using societal pressures applied under the guise of "morality" or "love"; especially not the hateful things I'm unfortunately able to associate with right-wing conservative "Christianity". Not that I would expect Christians to see homosexuality as good/right, but that how many have justfied the dehumanization of gays IS too often seen as a "good" thing.

Some don't think that homosexual people would/should fight to protect themselves; that any such defensive actions show that they are FOR homosexuality etc. Well, that is not necessarily the case. Some people merely want to ensure their rights as human beings are not hinging upon the mere perceptions of those who think such people are morally or socially unacceptable. Unfortuantely, the manner in which the word "lifestyle" is used when applied to homosexuals, is usually meant to be NEGATIVE; that on top of homosexuality not really being a "lifestyle".

The "lifestyle" that describes me best, is "working American". I don't believe I chose to be "gay", despite the fact that such a label "sticks" readily. Even though I don't have perfect control over my sexual desires, I'm sure there are practically none who do. People do make bad choices "sexually" ( I admit), but I will likely never understand why homosexuality is treated like it's THE REFERENCE STANDARD, when it comes to "sin".

Why ADD any weight to what must homosexual people already endure? And if we consider that even heterosexuals rarely get things "perfectly" right (in the moral sense, when it comes to sexuality), then a wider modicum of compassion for homosexuals is certainly warranted, especially in light of the compassion and grace most should be aware they have been shown.

Some are just trying to PUSH people into corners and dark places out of sight, out of mind; and when that doesn't work, they seek to dehumanize them when their heads pop up on the landscape. I've been watching nearly ALL of my life to see who the people are who actually show they LOVE homosexual people. And no, they do not have to be pro-gay as certain closed-minded conservatives and fundamentalists tend to imagine, just compassionate and loving people who can forgive what they perceive to be faults in others.

As it is, the hateful messages I'm getting from some Christians might mean that I have to stay as FAR AWAY from them as I can, because they will never accept me as a HUMAN BEING. I've listened from my closet enough to realize, that there is an important difference between good intentions and true expression of God's love. People really DO need to love the sinner, and lot more than they hate the sin. And if they are waiting for the "sinner" to become what they want or expect them to be, then here is a fair question:

Where would we be, IF Jesus didn't LOVE us as were are/were?

People seem afraid or reluctant to really think about that (consciously), as they deal with certain sinners. For what it does, is mitgates human ego and self-initiated, unjustified wrath against other human beings. Yes, it is EASY to take something from the Bible, and paste it onto people like it's a series of "RULES", but the TRUTH is not in those who are poised as if they are above "breaking" any of those rules.

The LACK of compassion I've seen and experienced, either makes "Christianity" for gays something to avoid (in the social sense), or a battleground where they will face exactly what it is that will make them better in Christ (period).

-Mel-
"It is better to BE more like Jesus and assume to speak less for God." -MA-