I am seriously questioning my atheism

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Haven

I am seriously questioning my atheism

Post #1

Post by Haven »

Disclaimer: This post may be out of place on the Christianity and Apologetics forum (even though it does have some relation to Christianity), if it is, I apologize and ask that it be moved to a more appropriate place on the forum. However, I do intend this thread to be a discussion, if not a debate, so I felt this was the best place for it.

As many of you know, I am an ex-evangelical Christian and a current atheist. By "atheist," I mean I lack belief in god(s) of any kind, although I do not assert that there are definitely no gods. Since departing from Christianity, everything has made so much more sense: an eternal Universe (defined as the totality of natural existence) explained existence, evolution explained the diversity of life on earth, the absence of god(s) explained the problems of evil, inconsistent revelation, and so on.

However, there is one thing that I have been unable to account for under atheism: morality. Atheists almost invariably state that moral values and duties are not objective facts, but are simply subjective statements of preference and have no ontological value. That is, of course, until we are presented with cases of true evil, such as the Holocaust, the atrocities of Pol Pot, or the horrible psychopathic serial killings of individuals like Jeffery Dahmer. Then we as atheists tacitly appeal to objective moral values and duties, saying that individuals who commit should be severely punished (even executed) for doing "evil," saying that they "knew right from wrong." But if right and wrong are simply statements of subjective opinion, then how can we say that others knew "right from wrong" and are accountable for their actions? If relativism is true, they simply had differing opinions from the majority of human beings. However, it seems obvious to me (and to the vast majority of others, theist and atheist alike) that this is absurd -- the monsters who carried out the aforementioned acts really, objectively did evil.

Given this, the only reasonable conclusion is that moral facts and imperatives exist.

However, atheism appears to offer no framework for moral facts. Because of this, a few weeks ago, I started up a discussion on Wielenbergian moral realism, which states that objective moral values are simply "brute facts" that exist without any explanation. However, others rightly pointed out that the existence of "brute facts" is ontologically problematic and that the best explanation (on atheism) is that morality is simply subjective. Additionally, even if atheistic moral facts existed, the Humeian problem of deriving an "ought" from an "is" would preclude them from acting as moral imperatives; commands which human beings are obligated to follow.

In light of these airtight logical objections to atheistic moral realism, I was forced to abandon my position on moral facts and tentatively adopt moral relativism. However, relativism still seems problematic. After all, if morality is subjective, no one person can accuse another of failing to recognize the difference between "right and wrong," however, it is obvious to me (and, I would suspect, to other atheists as well) that right or wrong really objectively (not subjectively) exist.

The only rational conclusion I can seem to come up with is that there is a (are) transcendent moral lawgiver(s) who both grounds moral facts and issues binding moral commands on all humanity; i.e., God(s). This echoes evangelical Christian philosopher William Lane Craig's moral argument, which syllogism reads:
WLC wrote:Premise 1: If God does not exist, then objective moral values and duties do not exist.
Premise 2: Objective moral values and duties do exist
Conclusion: Therefore, God exists
Premises 1 and 2 seem bulletproof -- (1) was demonstrated earlier in this post, leaving (2) as the only premise to attack. However, (2) seems to be as obvious as a hand in front of my face. The conclusion necessarily follows from (1) and (2), so is there any rational reason for me to reject the conclusion of the argument?

Remember, I am no believer of any kind. I am a staunch, educated, informed atheist, and I am well aware of the philosophical arguments against God(s), such as the problem of evil, the dysteleological argument, the problem of omniscience, etc. I'm also well aware of the plentiful empirical evidence against the existence of God(s), for instance, evolution, mind-body physicalism, etc. These are the reasons I reconverted from Christianity in the first place. However, I don't see way around this problem other than to accept either that our apparently obvious sense of moral facts is somehow mistaken, or that (a) theistic being(s) exist.

Debate question: Are my issues with atheism legitimate? Can atheism provide a coherent moral framework other than nihilism, relativism, or subjectivism? Do these problems really present evidence for theism? Is William Lane Craig right? Is this a real problem for atheism, or are my (our) emotions simply overriding my (our) rationality?

Feel free to present evidence for or against atheism, Christianity, or any religious or nonreligious perspective in this thread.

PGA
Student

Re: I am seriously questioning my atheism

Post #421

Post by PGA »

Hi Artie
PGA wrote:
How does life come from the non-living? How does consciousness come from the non-conscious? How does mind come from the mindless, how does logic come from the irrational, how do morals come from the amoral, how does personal being come from the impersonal? Please explain and prove that they do. You see, you just presuppose they do. You chose to believe there is no God. –Me
Nothing you have said is an argument for the Christian God. Why have you chosen to believe in the Christian God instead of Allah or Brahman or any other god? Or didn't you have any choice? Did you just happen to be born or raised in an environment where the main religion happens to be Christianity? Your arguments could as easily have been forwarded by a Muslim or a Hindu. –Artie
That is because I have not tried to defend or define why the Christian God stands alone among the many world religions in this thread. That is a deep and exhausting field to get into. I’m not sure you would accept my personal testimony as convincing so I would sum it up in a nut-shell - without assuming the Christian God I have not seen a world-view that can make any sense of anything.

How to you know what you know? How do you know what truth is? Why do you have ‘better’ moral beliefs than Hitler or do you? If you think they are then how do you justify that they are? Is it just because you say they are that makes them better because I can do the exact same thing. Who wins?

Another great reason is that Christianity is steeped in history as is Jesus Christ. The Tooth Fairy, Santa Clause or the Spaghetti Monster is not. I like the prophetic argument for that fact because it is so hard to argue against the history that is contained in it. This is important: Do you believe the books contained in the OT were written before those of the NT and what is your evidence if you don’t? (I hate arguing for some position only to find I have to backtrack and first prove something else) Can you give good scholarly and historical support if you don’t? That is one test. Have you considered how united 66 different books and around 44 different authors can be concerning the Lord Jesus Christ and prophecy? Take the Olivet Discourse for example. That prophetic study is laced throughout so many books of the OT and NT. It all seems to revolve around the destruction of the city and temple, which in turn revolves around God’s judgment/punishment on Israel for rejecting her Messiah. It is a bringing to an end the Old Covenant and Jewish sacrificial system in 70AD, which is such a horrific happening in the history of Israel. The result is bringing in the New Covenant. It is a major and deep study that I believe can be very well supported that everything that Jesus predicted in the Olivet Discourse came to pass. I’m in the process of giving support for this position on another thread.

Yet another reason is the uniqueness of Jesus Christ and what He claimed and what is claimed about Him in the books of the Bible. This is yet another highly involved subject that you could spend many years exhausting.

Those are just some of the many reasons. The greatest of which, as I mentioned, is that faith in Jesus Christ brings a personal relationship with God that opens the believer up who God is.

Other belief systems fall apart when you start to scrutinize their core beliefs. To me a good test of how logical and sound a belief is has to do with how well it holds to what is real and true. When you start to test a belief, the deep underlying presupposition that are held and how well it makes sense of life’s ultimate questions, I find other world-views deeply lacking, very illogical, unable to make sense of things.

Christianity stands apart from other religion beliefs in that they are primarily a set of moral codes. Do this and you will achieve this; this kind of action will merit a reward in the afterlife; this kind of action makes you a ‘better’ person. Christianity is primarily about what God has done for us in rescuing us from our own moral downwards spiral and it is primarily about restoring our relationship with our Maker that was destroy by the Fall of Adam.

Artie
Prodigy

Post #422

Post by Artie »

PGA wrote:That is because I have not tried to defend or define why the Christian God stands alone among the many world religions in this thread. That is a deep and exhausting field to get into. I’m not sure you would accept my personal testimony as convincing so I would sum it up in a nut-shell - without assuming the Christian God I have not seen a world-view that can make any sense of anything.
Might that be because you happened not to be raised in Iraq where you would see Islam as the world-view that can make sense of anything? I have personally read the testimony of a young Muslim very eloquently speaking about how the Quran and Islam is the only religion that makes sense to him. Or in India as a Hindu you would see Hinduism as a world-view that can make sense of everything? I can see the logic and reason behind these questions. The logic tells me that you need to assume the Christian God, a Muslim needs to assume Allah, a Hindu needs to assume Brahman. Because people need to assume deities doesn't mean that they all must exist. It is evidence to the contrary.
How to you know what you know? How do you know what truth is? Why do you have ‘better’ moral beliefs than Hitler or do you? If you think they are then how do you justify that they are? Is it just because you say they are that makes them better because I can do the exact same thing. Who wins?
The application of logic, reason and common sense and objective evidence and the knowledge about how and why morality developed.
This is important: Do you believe the books contained in the OT were written before those of the NT and what is your evidence if you don’t?
Before.
Have you considered how united 66 different books and around 44 different authors can be concerning the Lord Jesus Christ and prophecy?
My logic, reason and common sense and knowledge tells me that when you say 66 books you are disregarding the fact that there are six different Bibles containing anywhere from 24 to 81 books. Not even Catholics and Protestants are united which books are holy and which are not. Of course these 66 different books you speak of are united. For example when you have only four gospels allowed in and the writers copied off each other of course they seem united. There would be quite a different story if all the other different gospels were allowed in. :) When you have editors picking out which books to be included no wonder you get the result the editors want which is why they are somewhat consistent. But have you for example considered that "The scriptures were translated into Greek between about 280-130 BC.[27] The Greek scriptures, called the Septuagint, contains several books not found in the modern Hebrew Bible (1-2 Esdras, Judith, Tobit, 1-4 Maccabees, Wisdom of Solomon, Sirach, Baruch, and numerous additions to other books), based loosely on chronology and "literary typology" (i.e. subject matter).[28] It continues in use to this day as the Old Testament of the Eastern Orthodox Church.[29]" Wikipedia. When you are talking about united scriptures are you then talking about the Old Testament of the Eastern Orthodox Church? Or have you simply chosen the western edition as the united texts?
Other belief systems fall apart when you start to scrutinize their core beliefs. To me a good test of how logical and sound a belief is has to do with how well it holds to what is real and true. When you start to test a belief, the deep underlying presupposition that are held and how well it makes sense of life’s ultimate questions, I find other world-views deeply lacking, very illogical, unable to make sense of things.
You find what you want to find, obviously because others find what they want to find in their religions.
Christianity stands apart from other religion beliefs in that they are primarily a set of moral codes. Do this and you will achieve this; this kind of action will merit a reward in the afterlife; this kind of action makes you a ‘better’ person. Christianity is primarily about what God has done for us in rescuing us from our own moral downwards spiral and it is primarily about restoring our relationship with our Maker that was destroy by the Fall of Adam.
Those moral codes as your religion is a result of evolution and your attitude simply tells me that your brain is very hard-wired for religion.

PGA
Student

Post #423

Post by PGA »

Continuing from your post the other day Artie,
That is one way to look at it. But is it correct? Another way is that we have an innate sense of right and wrong because we are made in God’s image and likeness, that as humans we can use reason and logic and God has revealed to us what is right and wrong. –Me
This very good argument for the Christian God is logically sound and I can't explain it. In a social context when organisms cooperate it is not the survival of the fittest or physically strongest but of those who behave morally that ensures that the individual and the group survives. According to evolution these are traits that should have become more and more pronounced as organisms developed. According to evolution we should have become more and more moral as we see in bonobos and mongoose. And yet we haven't. Something happened. According to the Bible we are different from the animals because we were made in the image of God. And that makes sense. If we are made in the image of the homicidal, genocidal God described in the Bible it is no wonder we are a homicidal, genocidal race capable of producing Hitlers and capable of atrocities not known in the animal kingdom. You have a good point. –Artie
The point is man was made ‘very good’ in God’s sight when He made Adam and Eve. With the will to choose that God gave man that goodness was marred with the wrong choice. The fact that man was made with the freedom to choose makes him different than a robot. The fact that man is able to reason, to make moral decisions, understand them and the logic of them makes him different than animals. The result of that original choice is the reason we have man’s inhumanity to man. God has interceded in the affairs of man because left unchecked we would be in a more morally depraved world than we are now. We are not a ‘homicidal, genocidal race’ because we follow God’s good nature, but because we choose to invent our own good nature that really opposes the ideal and what that ideal goodness actual is. Evil is the lack of goodness just as darkness is the lack of light. When we choose to live life on our own human terms rather than on God’s ideal conditions all kinds of evil is possible.

From what you have said above I would make the claim that you misunderstand God. A lot of people put Him on the same level they are on. They think He should do what they dictate He should do. God is just, which is why He is good. His reasoning is greater than ours because He understands all things. Would you rather come up against an unjust judge who winked at wrongful acts or against a just judge who addressed the issues fairly? If someone takes the life of another person [murders them] what is the fair and equal punishment for such an act? Is it not life for life? Why is it that the perpetrator gets the breaks and the victim pays so dearly? I’m sure that for most examples you could cite of God’s injustice or ‘homicidal’ acts that I could point you to a previous Scripture that shows the injustice of the people He bought judgment on. I invite you to try. It seems to me that on the one hand you criticize Him for punishing evil actions and on the other you agree that evil actions should be punished because you recognize that genocide and homicide are wrong. If you look into these nations that God brought judgment on you will see that they deserved judgment. Do you think they were not guilty of wrongful actions?

Then there is another factor. Is not the Maker of all things the rightful Person in deciding what happens to the things He has made? Does the Maker not have the right to determine how the creature will act? Since He owns everything how can someone say that it is wrong for Him to take something away from His creatures (and that only because His creatures will not use it in a responsible and good way)? He gives life to everything so why is it wrong for Him to take life from His creatures if the creature acts in an unjust and selfish way that goes against what goodness is? You see, man is a moral creature and to some extent understands what goodness is.

How can God covet something when everything belongs to Him and is for His pleasure and purpose? How can He steel? He owns it all? How can a God who always tells the true be untruthful like us humans? It is not in His nature like it is in ours since The Fall.

This brings me to The Fall. Since God is not evil all the injustice and wrongful actions in this world is a result of man’s choice. Man chose and man chooses to be self-indulgent, greedy, hateful, disrespectful, dishonest, proud and unbending (and the list goes on) to not only his Maker, but also to his fellow man. These are not qualities that come from God but qualities (or should I say lack of quality, for evil is a lack of goodness) that comes from man placing himself above God as the highest authority, the one who knows ‘better’ than God. And since you don’t believe in God or gods that is all you are left with, the very thing that the Bible affirms. You recognize there is evil or else you would not react so passionately and vehemently against what God decreed in the OT in His judgment on nations. The point is that these nations were evil and if Israel was allowed to live with them they would corrupt her, as they in fact did, because again they disobeyed God in allowing some to live when they went into the Promised Land.

Man wants to be the measure of all things because he has forgotten God, forgotten to seek after Him and humble himself before God. Why all the injustice in this world; because man wants to be his own ‘wise’ god. Man argues against his Maker because man thinks he is wiser than his Maker. That is the problem; his pride has gotten the better of him. That is a biblical perspective at least. How do you explain injustice? How do you have injustice without ultimate meaning and purpose, without an objective measure – the ideal? Justice implies doing what is right. There is so much disagreement in human societies that wars are fought over the disagreements.

God is necessary for an objective measure because something that is objective is something that is without bias, something that is the real measure. You and I are subjective because we don’t see the whole picture, don’t understand how everything ties in with everything else. We have our biases, our prejudices, our limited understanding. We don’t know all things and we have forgotten the One that does, therefore our opinions and judgments are marred.

PGA
Student

Post #424

Post by PGA »

Finallly to wrap your post up Artie,
Have you ever thought the perhaps the reason we have so many world religions is that man wants to worship God on his own terms rather than on the terms that God has decreed and that he senses that there has to be a God in order to make sense of any of this? Man wants to be that 'authority' not God. Why are/were 99% of the people who have lived in this world religious? –Artie
This has been known for decades and is studied in the field of neurotheology.

"Scientists say they have located the parts of the brain that control religious faith. And the research proves, they contend, that belief in a higher power is an evolutionary asset that helps human survival." –Artie
Scientists ‘say’ many things and they have been wrong many times before. Where a person starts is usually where they finish up because they filter everything through their core beliefs, their particular world-view, which holds their biases and prejudices. Anyone can make a case for any belief. Take a look at all the models and theories of the universe for one. Scientists are always adjusting their beliefs as more evidence for and again their hypotheses come to light. Unless that belief is in conformity to what is real and true then it is a false belief or has falsity in the belief system.

It is evolution that has given you the circuitry in the brain that encourages your belief in higher powers. The more the brain is wired for belief, the more fundamental and immovable the belief. Which explains all the different religions and belief systems and willingness to commit any number of immoral atrocities in the name of religion. –Artie
I would contend that atheism and evolution are religious beliefs. They attempt to answer many fundamental questions of life, and in my opinion come up empty. I would also contend that if someone has the capacity to follow anything back far enough it becomes circular. Logic is used to prove something is logical just as much as evolutionary science is used to prove evolution. But the thing about evolution and origins is that so much of what is assumed are onetime events that are not repeated or demonstrated by normal scientific methods. You can’t go into a lab and prove the ‘Big Bang’ by repeatedly recreating it. Show me life coming from the non-living. What kind of experiments do you have to verify this actually happened? It is just assumed by your evolutionary world-view. Show me how the universe came into existence. It is just assumed. Show me how something that is impersonal can give life and being to the personal. It is just assumed. Show me how logic is a physical property. It is not, yet if everything comes from non-being and matter plus energy is the formula then how do we get the intangible, abstract, non-physical realities?
You see, as far as I have been able to determine, these world-views don’t have any answers. I keep asking people to explain some of these things and I keep getting ignored, or the reasons given are insufficient. It is a lot of hot air that no one knows for certain much of anything about. Even the greatest minds argue and dispute over every single issue imaginable. Am I cynical – Yes! I’m cynical of man as the measure. It all boils down to who is your highest and most trustworthy relative, subjective authority, for if you kick God out of the equation that is all you have, IMO. Please give evidence to the contrary. Who is your most trusted authority? Is it Darwin, Dawkins, perhaps Jerry Coygne or someone new on the scene?

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #425

Post by 99percentatheism »

Artie wrote:
PGA wrote:That is because I have not tried to defend or define why the Christian God stands alone among the many world religions in this thread. That is a deep and exhausting field to get into. I’m not sure you would accept my personal testimony as convincing so I would sum it up in a nut-shell - without assuming the Christian God I have not seen a world-view that can make any sense of anything.
Might that be because you happened not to be raised in Iraq where you would see Islam as the world-view that can make sense of anything? I have personally read the testimony of a young Muslim very eloquently speaking about how the Quran and Islam is the only religion that makes sense to him. Or in India as a Hindu you would see Hinduism as a world-view that can make sense of everything? I can see the logic and reason behind these questions. The logic tells me that you need to assume the Christian God, a Muslim needs to assume Allah, a Hindu needs to assume Brahman. Because people need to assume deities doesn't mean that they all must exist. It is evidence to the contrary.
The very most fascinating thing about so-called Christianity, is that Jesus went out and went after Judaism and its adherants' belief system.He offered a challenge to the Jews and then the world to take up his cause.

By the way, Jesus is not a white guy, nor a European or American.

He then "taught everything" to His Disciples and Apostles and SENT THEM OUT to offer a comparison between people's birth religions AND their current status of beleif systems.

Islam is spread by the choice (usually by acts and threats of violence) of either being a Muslim of being subjugated into a VERY second class status (Dhimmi) or die. And of course, it is spread by birth.

Hinduism is a birth condition primarily. It doesn't have much presence on the world stage as being offered up for choice and consumption other than through meditation or personal mysticism (enlightenment).

It has never taken off internationally like the Gospel of Christ has.

And to be fair, it has never been spread through war as has Islam.

Christ is offered as a chioce, and as a wise and senible one at that.

Artie
Prodigy

Post #426

Post by Artie »

To PGA:

I have read through your posts several times. I was thinking about answering them point by point but there are so many points and questions and illogical statements it's practically impossible.

God drowned practically every man, woman and child on the planet and also a lot of the animals. And you find this perfectly moral simply because it's God doing it and He has the right to kill anyone he chooses. He also commands:

"And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death. -- Leviticus 20:10"

"Six days shall work bedone, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death. -- Exodus 35:2"

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. -- Leviticus 20:13"

and on and on

You actually said: "Would you rather come up against an unjust judge who winked at wrongful acts or against a just judge who addressed the issues fairly?" Surely if you were gay, or an adulterer or has ever worked on a Sunday you wouldn't want God as your judge would you? Would you even get out of the courtroom alive?

Burninglight
Guru

Post #427

Post by Burninglight »

Artie wrote:To PGA:

I have read through your posts several times. I was thinking about answering them point by point but there are so many points and questions and illogical statements it's practically impossible.

God drowned practically every man, woman and child on the planet and also a lot of the animals. And you find this perfectly moral simply because it's God doing it and He has the right to kill anyone he chooses. He also commands:

"And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death. -- Leviticus 20:10"

"Six days shall work bedone, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death. -- Exodus 35:2"

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. -- Leviticus 20:13"

and on and on

You actually said: "Would you rather come up against an unjust judge who winked at wrongful acts or against a just judge who addressed the issues fairly?" Surely if you were gay, or an adulterer or has ever worked on a Sunday you wouldn't want God as your judge would you? Would you even get out of the courtroom alive?
Think of it like we are part of God's creation. It a potter makes a pot and decides to destroy it and make another who is going to question him? Certainly not the pot. So a better question to ask is what right does the pot (us) have to say to the potter (God) why have you made me or us like this or that?

Artie
Prodigy

Post #428

Post by Artie »

Burninglight wrote:
Artie wrote:To PGA:

and on and on

Think of it like we are part of God's creation. If a potter makes a pot and decides to destroy it and make another who is going to question him? Certainly not the pot. So a better question to ask is what right does the pot (us) have to say to the potter (God) why have you made me or us like this or that?
No wonder God can drown us or otherwise kill us if we have no more value in His eyes or your eyes than a pot... :( So you also condone genocide and killing gays and adulterers and people working on Sunday then...

Kismet
Student

Post #429

Post by Kismet »

Look at it this way: instead of searching for an answer to why people should be moral, look at how people really are moral in real life? It's because they have a moral identity to begin with.

If you were to have a dream where you went to work in your underwear, you would feel embarrassed. Someone would then give you a pair of slacks and you would take them eagerly. Why? Because you are human and you own up to that identity - and act like humans act.

What if you went to work and you realized you were missing not just your underwear, but also your skin, muscles and everything but your skeleton? Would you want to be human in such a case?

Even if we are "free" our being moral depends on certain thought-adjuncts we identify with. If we don't have such, then it is useless to tell someone to be moral. They can only keep on rebelling, because that is their fully free nature.

1robin
Scholar

Post #430

Post by 1robin »

Kismet wrote:Look at it this way: instead of searching for an answer to why people should be moral, look at how people really are moral in real life? It's because they have a moral identity to begin with.

If you were to have a dream where you went to work in your underwear, you would feel embarrassed. Someone would then give you a pair of slacks and you would take them eagerly. Why? Because you are human and you own up to that identity - and act like humans act.

What if you went to work and you realized you were missing not just your underwear, but also your skin, muscles and everything but your skeleton? Would you want to be human in such a case?

Even if we are "free" our being moral depends on certain thought-adjuncts we identify with. If we don't have such, then it is useless to tell someone to be moral. They can only keep on rebelling, because that is their fully free nature.
This idea is satisfactorily explained by idea that we are made in God's image and in fact have a intrensic moral compass. (which can be ignored or followed) Or you can attempt by doing intellectual speculation that atheistic materialism (being amoral) produced morals. An argument against evolution benefitting from morals might be that the most desperate (for survival in most cases or profit) individuals resort to immoral behavior to meet their needs.