Brahman and Nirvana vs Non-existence

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

CelPatBruYanks

Brahman and Nirvana vs Non-existence

Post #1

Post by CelPatBruYanks »

I will start off by saying that my understanding of Eastern religions is limited, I am a "westerner" and as such, understanding the logic of eastern thinking is sometimes difficult for me, and my experience and knowledge of Hinduism and Buddhism are limited.

That said, what is the difference between:

Brahman and non-existence?

Nirvana and non-existence?

Both of them, with Nirvana in particular, don't seem to be all that different from non-existence. If the Atman/Consciousness is not self-aware but is essentially a disembodied consciousness floating around, how is that different from your consciousness simply ceasing to exist?

Philomath
Student

Re: Brahman and Nirvana vs Non-existence

Post #31

Post by Philomath »

JohnPaul wrote:
Philomath wrote:
Burninglight wrote:
CelPatBruYanks wrote:I will start off by saying that my understanding of Eastern religions is limited, I am a "westerner" and as such, understanding the logic of eastern thinking is sometimes difficult for me, and my experience and knowledge of Hinduism and Buddhism are limited.

That said, what is the difference between:

Brahman and non-existence?

Nirvana and non-existence?

Both of them, with Nirvana in particular, don't seem to be all that different from non-existence. If the Atman/Consciousness is not self-aware but is essentially a disembodied consciousness floating around, how is that different from your consciousness simply ceasing to exist?
I think when people are in an accident and fall into a coma or a vegetable state that would be equal to nirvana IMO. People in eastern religions try to do this without being in an accident, and Brahman is one of three gods Vishnu is another I don't know the third
That is not what Nirvana is not. You've mistaken Brahma with Brahman. Brahman is the only God that exists in Hinduism.
Brahman is the only God that exists at the more abstract intellectual and philosophical levels of Hinduism, but it does provide many gods for the entertainment of the masses.
It's not only more intellectual and philosophical levels of Hinduism that teach this. As far as I know all schools of Hindu thought are centered around Brahman, whether it be Saguna Brahman(The multiple gods your referring to), or Nirguna Brahman(The impersonal form).

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: Brahman and Nirvana vs Non-existence

Post #32

Post by bernee51 »

[Replying to post 30 by JohnPaul]
Brahman is not god in a theistic sense, rather it is the ground of all being. It is the great nothing from which existence has manifest.

The other 'gods' of Hindusim are 'aspects of the divine' rather than gods per se.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj