"Pray Jesus into my heart"

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

"Pray Jesus into my heart"

Post #1

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

I posted this elsewhere, but perhaps I will get a better response here.

What is the origin of this phrase, what beliefs does it encompass, and what biblical relevance does it have?

So many Christians I come across say that this is how they "came to God". From what I can gather, they believe that this is all that is required for salvation, and that one need not even follow the commandments or be baptized as the Bible commands. Is this an accurate assessment on my part?

Could someone just clear me up on the exact meaning of this phrase? It would be much appreciated.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #2

Oh come on, how many of you do I hear saying this? I want to know it's origin and justification.

"I know I am saved because when I was six I prayed Jesus into my heart"

Does the Bible not teach that good works, baptizm, and obediance are also required along with faith and confession?

Talk to me.

MJB05
Student

Post #3

Post by MJB05 »

Praying Jesus into your heart means that you simple say a prayer to Him acknowledging that you are a sinner and that you know the He died for your sins and that it is by His Grace that you are saved and you ask Him to come into your life.

It's basically confessing with your mouth what you believe with your heart.

The Bible teaches that we are saved by Grace through faith and not by works so that nobody can boast.

If you have faith you are going to want to do good works for God. When the Bible says that faith without works is dead, I believe that it is questioning your faith if you have no desire to do good works. The Bible says you can tell a believer by the fruit they produce, if you are not doing anything for God then you aren't producing any fruit and thus you must not have had strong faith to begin with...

Jesus differentiates between John the Baptist baptising and water and how He baptises with the Spirit. I believe that when the Bible talks of baptism and salvation it is talking about baptising oneself in the Spirit. Receiving the Holy Spirit after accepting the gift of salvation.

John the Baptist about Jesus: "As for me, (C)I baptize you [a]with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; (D)He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. (Matthew 3:11)

If anyone has scripture that is opposed them please direct me to it so that I may read further.

I believe baptising in water is important and have been myself, I just don't believe that it is a requirement for salvation.

We should all strive and want to obey God.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #4

Thanks for talking to me :)

The vast majority of people I hear seem to think that this little prayer (or whatever it is) is their shortcut to heaven, and that they are somehow not obligated to follow the other commandments.

You seem to agree that faith alone is not enough to save. I won't argue about the baptism bit here; that topic of debate seems well covered in our other thread.

However, I still do not have the scripture that supposedly commands us to 'pray Jesus into your heart'. I recall comming across something of the like a while back, but can't remember where. Any help is appreciated.

MJB05
Student

Post #5

Post by MJB05 »

The Persnickety Platypus wrote:Thanks for talking to me :)

The vast majority of people I hear seem to think that this little prayer (or whatever it is) is their shortcut to heaven, and that they are somehow not obligated to follow the other commandments.

You seem to agree that faith alone is not enough to save. I won't argue about the baptism bit here; that topic of debate seems well covered in our other thread.

However, I still do not have the scripture that supposedly commands us to 'pray Jesus into your heart'. I recall comming across something of the like a while back, but can't remember where. Any help is appreciated.
I believe confessing with your mouth (saying the prayer) and believing with your heart will get you saved. I do believe that the Bible is clear when it says you can tell a believer by the fruits they produce.

The scripture I see that coming from is the one where we are told to confess with our mouths and believe with our hearts in Jesus and we will be saved.

I am glad that you have found Christ and I hope that you have a strong walk with God.