apatheists

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

apatheists

Post #1

Post by Nilloc James »

A few members on this site belong to the group 'apatheist', a merger of apathy and theism.

Although I agree to an extent, that people get too worked up - however the question seems to have great moral implications ( e.g. Should we work for the betterment of this world or the next?).

To not care about the question of theism ( or at least the personal theist god) seems to neglect other issues of importance. Because the answer to the existence of a personal god effects other philisophical and moral dilemas.

Is apatheism a reasonable position? Why/ why not?

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by LiamOS »

I'm of the opinion that apatheism is a pretty tenable position. The reason is that there is, in my view, absolutely nothing that suggests a deity which judges us in any manner, never mind an arbitrary way.

Of course, if such a deity exists, it's a pretty big deal, but without anything to support it, arbitrary conjecture remains just that.

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Nilloc James »

Perhaps this is a problem with my definitions.

I assumed apatheists dont care about the question while agnostics held the positionthat there is no evidence so I'll live without commandments.

Could you clarify the difference between apatheism and agnosticism? Thank you.

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by LiamOS »

Generally, an agnostic is a person who believes it to be unknown whether a God exists.
Apatheism would be the above, but with the addition that the question of Theism is not worth considering given the available evidence.

In the group description, Darias states: "Since the evidence for divine intervention appears to be lacking, the existence or non-existence of God seems to have no effect on our world."
If we take some statement "Leprechauns live behind Neptune", the general population will dismiss this question as irrelevant, as either way, it evidently has no effect on our lives. One could further postulate that those who do not believe so will suffer eternal torture, but such speculation does not add relevance to a baseless question, and without base, it is merely speculation.
An Apatheist would be one who believes that, as far as day-to-day life goes, the existence of a God is no more deserving of consideration than the above.

An Apatheist does not necessarily dismiss Theism as a philosophical position, but dismisses that general day-to-day happenings would give any support to a Theistic position.