Questions about Mormonism...

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Questions about Mormonism...

Post #1

Post by ttruscott »

I believe in our existence (before our earthly conception) in the spirit world sheol wherein we chose by true free will our eternal relationship with YHWH, our creator.

I keep having people say, " Isn't that Mormonism?" and while I know it is not, I remain unsure how a Mormon might phrase their theology about our pre-existence.

Anybody? May we discuss or informally debate?

Peace, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello ttruscott,

I was LDS for about a year. LDS believe that they learn in the preexistence. They also believe that they made some type of choice during the war in heaven.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

help3434
Guru

Post #3

Post by help3434 »

Mormon belief:

We all lived with God before the creation of the Earth. We were spirits, God had a physical body, and God had glory and power we did. God presented a plan where we would be sent to Earth (or perhaps another world) and a gain physical body. We would have agency and be able to sin, so God would sent Jesus Christ, his beloved son do suffer and die for our sins so that we could repent. Some would chose to stay wicked and not repent so not all would return to live with God again. Lucifer presented a plan where we would gain a body but not have agency. Lucifer wanted all the glory for himself, while Christ would give the glory to the Father. Lucifer's plan was rejected, and he rebelled along with a third of everyone. They were cast out for their rebellion and became the devil and his angels. Those that are born are those who chose God's plan in the pre-earth life. This is called the first estate, our mortal life is the second estate.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Kuan »

Hi, i believe this might be a very late reply, but hopefully it can help you and any future person who stumbles on this thread. This is the best source for your answer, straight from the LDS Church's missionary training book. This is what is used when the LDS missionaries teach.
Pre-Earth Life: God’s Purpose and Plan for Us
Many people wonder, “Where did we come from? Why are we here? Where are we going?� The plan of salvation gives us the answers to these questions.

God is the Father of our spirits. We are literally His children, and He loves us. We lived as spirit children of our Father in Heaven before we were born on this earth. We were not, however, like our Heavenly Father, nor could we ever become like Him and enjoy all the blessings that He enjoys without the experience of living in mortality with a physical body.

God’s whole purpose—His work and His glory—is to enable each of us to enjoy all His blessings. He has provided a perfect plan to accomplish His purpose. We understood and accepted this plan before we came to the earth. In the scriptures God’s plan is called a merciful plan, the plan of happiness, the plan of redemption, and the plan of salvation.

Jesus Christ is central to God’s plan. Through His Atonement, Jesus Christ fulfilled His Father’s purpose and made it possible for each of us to enjoy immortality and eternal life. Satan, or the devil, is an enemy to God’s plan.

Agency, or the ability to choose, is one of God’s greatest gifts to His children. Our eternal progression depends on how we use this gift. We must choose whether to follow Jesus Christ or follow Satan.

We are physically separated from God during life on earth, but He wants every one of His children to find peace in this life and a fulness of joy in His presence after this life. He wants us to become like Him.
Source: Preach My Gospel, A Guide To Missionary Service

Well, I would love to have a debate, discussion, or any time to talk with you ttruscott or anyone else who wishes, just PM me.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Goat »

mormon boy51 wrote: Hi, i believe this might be a very late reply, but hopefully it can help you and any future person who stumbles on this thread. This is the best source for your answer, straight from the LDS Church's missionary training book. This is what is used when the LDS missionaries teach.
Pre-Earth Life: God’s Purpose and Plan for Us
Many people wonder, “Where did we come from? Why are we here? Where are we going?� The plan of salvation gives us the answers to these questions.

God is the Father of our spirits. We are literally His children, and He loves us. We lived as spirit children of our Father in Heaven before we were born on this earth. We were not, however, like our Heavenly Father, nor could we ever become like Him and enjoy all the blessings that He enjoys without the experience of living in mortality with a physical body.

God’s whole purpose—His work and His glory—is to enable each of us to enjoy all His blessings. He has provided a perfect plan to accomplish His purpose. We understood and accepted this plan before we came to the earth. In the scriptures God’s plan is called a merciful plan, the plan of happiness, the plan of redemption, and the plan of salvation.

Jesus Christ is central to God’s plan. Through His Atonement, Jesus Christ fulfilled His Father’s purpose and made it possible for each of us to enjoy immortality and eternal life. Satan, or the devil, is an enemy to God’s plan.

Agency, or the ability to choose, is one of God’s greatest gifts to His children. Our eternal progression depends on how we use this gift. We must choose whether to follow Jesus Christ or follow Satan.

We are physically separated from God during life on earth, but He wants every one of His children to find peace in this life and a fulness of joy in His presence after this life. He wants us to become like Him.
Source: Preach My Gospel, A Guide To Missionary Service

Well, I would love to have a debate, discussion, or any time to talk with you ttruscott or anyone else who wishes, just PM me.
BTW, welcome back.... are you back from the Philippines yet?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by ttruscott »

[Replying to post 4 by mormon boy51]

Thank you all,

Peace, Ted

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Kuan »

Goat wrote: BTW, welcome back.... are you back from the Philippines yet?
Yep, been home about 2 months now. Im starting college back up here in a week or so. Thanks for the warm welcome! :D
ttruscott wrote: [Replying to post 4 by mormon boy51]

Thank you all,

Peace, Ted
Welcome Ted! From what you have said, it sounds similar if not the same to what we mormons believe. But thats an early statement, there surely could be differences in our views, and if you would like to discuss it as I said earlier, just PM me!
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

help3434
Guru

Post #8

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 7 by mormon boy51]

How was your mission? What part of the Philippines did you serve in?

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Kuan »

[Replying to post 8 by help3434]

It was great, I was in the Quezon City mission, so I was in metro Manila most of the time but I was also assigned to an island for about 6 months called Mindoro. All in all, it was one if the best experiences of my life and I think really has shaped me, I gained a lot of experience, knowledge, and understanding during my time. Thanks for asking!
- Voltaire

help3434
Guru

Post #10

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 9 by mormon boy51]

Cool. There was a missionary on my mission from the Visayas region of the Philippines.