Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 1: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:14 am
Reply
Evidence of Orson Scott Card's homophobia in Ender's Game?

Like this post
Ender's Game is by far my favorite novel, and though I've never been interested in any of Card's other books, I've reread this one every year since I was a kid. Of course I was disappointed when I heard about Card's strict Mormon beliefs and his homophobic campaigns, but I still love this book. Has anyone found any subtle (or not so subtle) homophobic undertones in Ender's Game? Aside from several depictions of young, naked boys, including a slightly perverse fight scene in a steamy shower, all of which could point toward some latent homosexual (and pedophilic) urges on Card's part, I haven't found any reference to sexuality of any kind, let alone homosexuality or homophobia. What do you guys think?

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 2: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:29 pm
Reply
Re: Evidence of Orson Scott Card's homophobia in Ender's Gam

Like this post
[Replying to post 1 by Jake]

No homophobia in the book. People are talking about boycotting the movie because of the author's homophobia which he has expressed in articles, interviews and a novella called Hamlet's Father.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 3: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:44 pm
Reply

Like this post
I am a longtime fan of the book, and saw the movie on Saturday. Not a hint of homophobia in it. Not a breath.

The shower scene showed no "naked boys"; Ender was wrapped in a towel the whole time -- and the scene was as logical and real as it could be. If a bully wanted to catch a victim in as vulnerable and defenseless a state as possible, where better than in the shower?

I thought the picture was excellent, and very true to the book. Condensed, to be sure; but still very accurate. I never expected to see the "brain game" depicted on screen at all. I thought it was very well done -- and, as I said on Facebook in response to the call to "Boycott Ender's Game!":

"Absolutely. I don't EVER want to see ANY movie or TV show, or read ANY book, or listen to ANY music, or purchase ANY product, unless EVERYONE involved in its production AGREES with me 100% on EVERY SINGLE ISSUE."

Last I heard, the Thought Police had not yet been deployed. Perhaps others wish there were such an agency; but consider this -- what if YOU and those YOU agree with were not in charge of its standards?

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 4: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:24 pm
Reply

Like this post
True to the book? Really? The movie was a joke. Bonzo's death looks like an accident and Ender rushes to his side like a traumatized little child. The point in the book is that Ender was willing to injure Bonzo beyond repair to protect himself. The adults are also far too concerned, as if they actually care about Bonzo. The point was that they set the whole thing up so that Ender would have to defend himself. The entire ordeal was sanitized for the sensitive, mainstream audience.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 5: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:39 pm
Reply
Re: Evidence of Orson Scott Card's homophobia in Ender's Gam

Like this post
Jake wrote:


...
I haven't found any reference to sexuality of any kind, let alone homosexuality or homophobia. What do you guys think?


There was the strange kissing thing with one of his friends but if anything it seemed gay not anti-gay...???

Peace, Ted

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 6: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:57 pm
Reply
Re: Evidence of Orson Scott Card's homophobia in Ender's Gam

Like this post
Jake wrote:

Of course I was disappointed when I heard about Card's strict Mormon beliefs and his homophobic campaigns, but I still love this book. Has anyone found any subtle (or not so subtle) homophobic undertones in Ender's Game?


"Homophobia" is a made up word used to demean those who disagree with gay life styles. It's the same as any other name made up as a substitute for a legitimate argument.

This is one of the many reasons I refuse to support any gay issue. When the LGBT community enters rational society, I'll hear their side. While they use slander, bigotry, name-calling and intimidation to advance their causes, I refuse to support them.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 7: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:34 pm
Reply

Like this post
So I assume you also avoid words like "racism", "prejudice", "sexism", "bigotry", etc.? Basically any word that carries negative connotations and refers to a person's viewpoint? "Homophobia" simply describes the viewpoint that homosexuality is wrong, undesirable, or whatever. Why does that word bother you so much?

And am I to take it that you believe every member of the LGBT community argues only through intimidation and slander? That no defender of LGBT rights every makes legitimate points? Funny, I don't hear our President calling people homophobic or prejudiced. He seems to mostly make arguments about civil rights and equal treatment. Is he also outside of "rational society" on this issue?

Seems like you're refusing to listen to the LGBT community because you've labeled them as irrational, when your own complaint against them is that they won't listen to other viewpoints that they view as irrational. Ironic.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
MPG Recipient Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 8: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:06 pm
Reply

Like this post
Jake wrote:

So I assume you also avoid words like "racism", "prejudice", "sexism", "bigotry", etc.?


That would be silly. These things exist.

Homophobia does not. Christians disagree with the gay life style, they are therefore called names (as if this were some elementary school play ground).

It's simple: the LGBT community is intolerant of Christians.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 9: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:25 pm
Reply

Like this post
The Me's wrote:

Jake wrote:

So I assume you also avoid words like "racism", "prejudice", "sexism", "bigotry", etc.?


That would be silly. These things exist.

Homophobia does not. Christians disagree with the gay life style, they are therefore called names (as if this were some elementary school play ground).

It's simple: the LGBT community is intolerant of Christians.

Oh, right! I forgot about how the LGBT community used to burn Christians alive. I forgot about how the LGBT community once classified Christianity as a treatable mental illness. I forgot about how the LGBT community bullies Christian kids until they commit suicide. About how the gays still execute Christians in some parts of the world. About how they passed laws preventing Christians from marrying. About how they organize camps to convert Christians to homosexuals through mental abuse. I forgot about how it's common for gay parents to disown their children when they come out as Christian. I forgot about all of that intolerance and bigotry directed at Christians by homosexuals.

You poor Christians, you sure get the shit end of the stick compared to that powerful community of homosexuals!

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 10: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:27 am
Reply

Like this post
Jake wrote:

The Me's wrote:

Jake wrote:

So I assume you also avoid words like "racism", "prejudice", "sexism", "bigotry", etc.?


That would be silly. These things exist.

Homophobia does not. Christians disagree with the gay life style, they are therefore called names (as if this were some elementary school play ground).

It's simple: the LGBT community is intolerant of Christians.

Oh, right! I forgot about how the LGBT community used to burn Christians alive. I forgot about how the LGBT community once classified Christianity as a treatable mental illness. I forgot about how the LGBT community bullies Christian kids until they commit suicide. About how the gays still execute Christians in some parts of the world. About how they passed laws preventing Christians from marrying. About how they organize camps to convert Christians to homosexuals through mental abuse. I forgot about how it's common for gay parents to disown their children when they come out as Christian. I forgot about all of that intolerance and bigotry directed at Christians by homosexuals.

You poor Christians, you sure get the shit end of the stick compared to that powerful community of homosexuals!


Moderator Comment

Please make your point without using profanity and obscene language.

Please review the Rules.


______________

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Display posts from previous:   

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

 




On The Web | Ecodia | Hymn Lyrics Apps
Facebook | Twitter

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.   Produced by Ecodia.

Igloo   |  Lo-Fi Version