Lot's two virgin daughters thrown to the mob

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Angel song

Lot's two virgin daughters thrown to the mob

Post #1

Post by Angel song »

In Genesis 19:1-11 we read that Lot threw his two virgin daughters to the mob of Sodom to do with as they pleased rather than have his two male guests violated.

I'm at a loss as to how to explain his actions (not to mention the ethics of his act) given that virginity was highly prized at that time and not being a virgin virtually made a previously unmarried female unmarriageable.

Okay, I'm aware that the societal culture was highly patriarchal at that time in history but I still can't really understand his actions or how we should interpret this particular piece of scripture today.

Can anyone offer some insights?

Sonofason
Banned
Banned

Re: Lot's two virgin daughters thrown to the mob

Post #31

Post by Sonofason »

help3434 wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
10CC wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
Angel song wrote: In Genesis 19:1-11 we read that Lot threw his two virgin daughters to the mob of Sodom to do with as they pleased rather than have his two male guests violated.

I'm at a loss as to how to explain his actions (not to mention the ethics of his act) given that virginity was highly prized at that time and not being a virgin virtually made a previously unmarried female unmarriageable.

Okay, I'm aware that the societal culture was highly patriarchal at that time in history but I still can't really understand his actions or how we should interpret this particular piece of scripture today.

Perhaps you forget that Lot's daughters never left the house. And Lot did not throw his virgin daughters to the mob as you have said. Perhaps you will recall, that the homosexuals outside the house had no desire for the young women. Perhaps Lot knew that they were homosexuals. How could he not. They wanted to have their way with men. Honestly, offering your virgin daughter to a homosexual is really something of little consequence. Perhaps Lot knew that saying such a thing would not accomplish very much. Perhaps Lot was simply antagonizing those homosexuals outside because of their utter depravity. Who knows? But you should also recall that the daughters remained safe, and the homosexuals outside ended up being smitten with blindness.

Would things have turned out better had Lot tossed the men of God outside to the mob? I think not. I think it all turned out just as it should have. God's ways are always the best ways. Faith in God is unstoppable.
Who said they were homosexuals, according to GOD they were unrighteous and that was why they were destroyed. How does wanting to fornicate with an angel define someone as homosexual? Pretty stupid conclusion, I think.
Besides, good old righteous Lot wanted to fornicate and impregnate his virgin daughters himself.
What a righteous man did your god save. This god of yours considered Lot righteous and destroyed innocent born and unborn babies for their unrighteousness. It is patently obvious from this fable that this god you believe in couldn't tell righteousness from scabies.

Look, heterosexual men who do not have homosexual tendencies do not try to force themselves on other men, even if they were to have the tendencies of a rapist.

It is rumored that this does happen a lot in prisons. Also, have you ever heard of bisexuality?
A man who is raped is not necessarily a homosexual.
A man who rapes another man is either a homosexual, or a bisexual.
bisexuals are not heterosexuals. They are bisexuals.

Sonofason
Banned
Banned

Post #32

Post by Sonofason »

Nickman wrote:
Angel song wrote: In Genesis 19:1-11 we read that Lot threw his two virgin daughters to the mob of Sodom to do with as they pleased rather than have his two male guests violated.

I was given a Christian explanation on this forum some years ago. I couldn't find the thread but it went like this. Since Soddom and Gomorrah were homosexual cities, offering his daughters wouldn't have resulted in their rape. I know it is ridiculous.

I just realized that Sonofason said the exact same thing. Lol. Wow.

Heterosexuals do not have sex with other men. Bisexuals do. Homosexuals do. But heterosexuals do not.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by Nickman »

Strider324 wrote:
I feel I must make you aware of something, Lot did not want to have sex with his daughters. Lot was tricked by his daughters into having sex with them. He did not know who they were at the time. That was trickery by Lot's daughters. And I can't say I blame them. They wanted children. They got children. And lot was innocent through it all.
Really? Lot was too drunk to even recognize his own daughters while having sex with them....but not too drunk to get an erection and HAVE sex....twice.

OK.
:roll:
I always thought that an erection requires arousal. I guess I was wrong. Lot can do it, no one else on the planet can. The bible is so true.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #34

Post by Nickman »

Sonofason wrote:
Nickman wrote:

I was given a Christian explanation on this forum some years ago. I couldn't find the thread but it went like this. Since Soddom and Gomorrah were homosexual cities, offering his daughters wouldn't have resulted in their rape. I know it is ridiculous.

Heterosexuals do not have sex with other men. Bisexuals do. Homosexuals do. But heterosexuals do not.
So what. They could have been bisexual then, hence the daughters would have been enticing. Why offer your daughters at all? That is the question.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by Nickman »

Sonofason wrote: [Replying to post 19 by Goat]

Goat wrote:
If you break the 'laws of men', you break the laws of the New Testament.
Exactly. If you obey God, you will never be held in judgement by anyone.
If God asks you disobey the law you will.

Sonofason
Banned
Banned

Post #36

Post by Sonofason »

Nickman wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
Nickman wrote:

So what. They could have been bisexual then, hence the daughters would have been enticing. Why offer your daughters at all? That is the question.
Hypothetically speaking, you could be correct. The men outside could have been bisexual.

Lot had faith in the two men of God. Lot had faith in God. No harm came to his two daughters. Lot's faith paid off.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #37

Post by Nickman »

Sonofason wrote:
Nickman wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
Nickman wrote:

Hypothetically speaking, you could be correct. The men outside could have been bisexual.

Lot had faith in the two men of God. Lot had faith in God. No harm came to his two daughters. Lot's faith paid off.
It is the principle of the whole story that I object to. Lot should never offer his daughters regardless, and as if that would have done anything. What would offering to daughters to homosexuals do to change the situation? They would have said, "we don't want women, we want those delicious men in there." It is pointless, the only thing that worked was the two men had to go out and blind them.

Sonofason
Banned
Banned

Post #38

Post by Sonofason »

Nickman wrote:
Sonofason wrote: [Replying to post 19 by Goat]

Goat wrote:
If you break the 'laws of men', you break the laws of the New Testament.
Exactly. If you obey God, you will never be held in judgement by anyone.
If God asks you disobey the law you will.
To me, your argument is nonsensical. God has never asked me to disobey the law. Therefore, it seems absurd to consider your hypothetical of God asking me to disobey the law, especially when, according to scripture, God has commanded that we obey the law.

Sonofason
Banned
Banned

Post #39

Post by Sonofason »

Nickman wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
Nickman wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
Nickman wrote:

It is the principle of the whole story that I object to. Lot should never offer his daughters regardless, and as if that would have done anything. What would offering to daughters to homosexuals do to change the situation? They would have said, "we don't want women, we want those delicious men in there." It is pointless, the only thing that worked was the two men had to go out and blind them.
But as you said, the men outside might have been bisexual. Maybe having the two daughters would have made them content. Maybe it wouldn't. It seems to me Lot's faith in God paid off.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #40

Post by Nickman »

Sonofason wrote:

But as you said, the men outside might have been bisexual. Maybe having the two daughters would have made them content. Maybe it wouldn't. It seems to me Lot's faith in God paid off.
We can only go off what the men supposedly said,

9 “Get out of our way,� they replied. “This fellow came here as a foreigner, and now he wants to play the judge! We’ll treat you worse than them.� They kept bringing pressure on Lot and moved forward to break down the door.

Apparently they had no interest in the daughters.