Why doesn't the Christian god have a real name?

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

stonedbesidethemortician
Student

Why doesn't the Christian god have a real name?

Post #1

Post by stonedbesidethemortician »

It seems a little disrespectful for Christians to refer to their god as "God". That is the equivalent of me naming my dog "Dog". In just about every other religion, the deity has a name. I know that "Yahweh" is frequently used, but the majority seem to just use "God"...why?

Not really a debate topic, just a question I had.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Re:

Post #21

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Danmark wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:30 am
Goat wrote:
You are making an incorrect assumption. YHVH and the genesis is actually a pun, where the words "I am what I am" sound similar (but not exact) to how the YHVH would be pronounced. It's not the actual name.
I understand that Hebrew uses lots of puns, that it is easier to make puns in Hebrew than in English; therefore puns in Hebrew are not necessarily considered clever or funny. But here I don't see what you are talking about. What's the pun? What are the two words/phrases that sound alike but are different and what do they mean?
I am asking myself here and am theorizing whereof the names of other gods sprung.

Either if humans gave them their names, or the gods themselves introduced themselves to humans by name, the question stays the same; where did names like Zeus, Marduk, Loki come from?

I theorize that gods names often were not funny meant puns or metaphers and the like.
Tat just sounds logically for me.

Example; To make people believe in a Raingod, I would call him not "Toby" and not "Rainbringer", but would go for a more interesting wordplay like: "He Who Falls Down to Earth"!
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"