Is it a sin to lie when you don't actually lie?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

What if, in some weird happenstance, you THINK you're lying but, unbeknownst to you, you AREN'T. Is that a sin?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 3

lamar1234
Apprentice

Is it a sin to lie when you don't actually lie?

Post #1

Post by lamar1234 »

A bank robber comes into a bank and says "Everybody on the ground! This is a robbery. If anyone gets in our way, we will kill them!"

A woman, for whatever reason, stands up with her hands in the air and says "Please let me go, I'm pregnant!"

Again, for whatever reason, the robber says "Give me your cell phone. Once I have it, you can go!"

fwr, she hands him her cellphone and he says "Get out of here, right now!"

For a VERY good reason, she walks slowly through the door.

The woman does NOT believe she is pregnant.

Did she sin?

The woman actually IS pregnant. I'm NOT asking about the adultery part, got it, that's BIG TIME sin! I'm drawing a distinction between 'thinking you're lying' when, oddly enough, you are not in FACT lying.

Does that change the answer?

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: Is it a sin to lie when you don't actually lie?

Post #2

Post by OnceConvinced »

She is guilty of lying because in her mind she believed it to be false. She deliberately set out to lie (even though she had good reason to). She had no knowledge of the fact she really was pregnant.

You can have the opposite situation where you believe you are telling the truth but it's not actually true. They didn't see it as a lie. Eg, People who say "God healed me", when really doctors healed them, but in their mind this god is very real and he heals and he's healed them. They have not deliberately set out to mislead anyone.

In your scenario she has deliberately set out to mislead. There fore it's a lie.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Jashwell
Guru

Post #3

Post by Jashwell »

[Replying to post 1 by lamar1234]

What do sins have to do with right and wrong?

That aside, do you consider any false answer to be a lie? Or is any intentionally deceitful answer a lie, even if it is true?

lamar1234
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by lamar1234 »

[Replying to OnceConvinced]

I understand what you said, thank you for your thoughtful response.

A wrinkle occurs to me.

Same scenario. Let's say, the bank is robbed on a Tuesday.

Let's say the woman was, in fact, married and actively trying to get pregnant.

That previous Friday evening she and her husband...... Well, you get the idea.

She was just daydreaming along about "Am I? What if I am? What if I'm not?" and the robbery happens.

She says "Let me go, I'm pregnant." Did she sin? She might be? It's possible. In this case does it matter whether she is or isn't.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #5

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 4 by lamar1234]
Same answer, anything other than "Let me go, I might be pregnant" is an intentionally deceitful answer.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #6

Post by OnceConvinced »

lamar1234 wrote: [Replying to OnceConvinced]

A wrinkle occurs to me.

She was just daydreaming along about "Am I? What if I am? What if I'm not?" and the robbery happens.

She says "Let me go, I'm pregnant." Did she sin? She might be? It's possible. In this case does it matter whether she is or isn't.

I think is all comes down to was she trying to mislead someone? If she believed she was misleading someone, then it was a lie.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

alexx
Student

Post #7

Post by alexx »

OnceConvinced wrote:
lamar1234 wrote: [Replying to OnceConvinced]

A wrinkle occurs to me.

I think is all comes down to was she trying to mislead someone? If she believed she was misleading someone, then it was a lie.
the problem i have with the opinions here about this issue is the 1's who are adamant about the misdeed are most likely to do the same or worse given an actual situation. i can tell by their TONE in replying. they are lawyers or pharisees if you will? and actually the bible says the only sin that is not forgiven is blasphemy? and all men are sinners and not fit to JUDGE? of course non believers as they are called are dependent on the law to control themselves. the idea that others are bound similarly.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Yes she lied, a lie is deliberately saying what you know or believe to be a falsehood. The fact that your deliberate falsehood turned out not to be, doesn't change the fact that you said what you thought at the time to was untrue.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Checkpoint »

Did she sin?

The woman actually IS pregnant. I'm NOT asking about the adultery part, got it, that's BIG TIME sin! I'm drawing a distinction between 'thinking you're lying' when, oddly enough, you are not in FACT lying.

Does that change the answer?

Yes, she did sin, she did lie in that she thought what what she said was false and thus lying.

That what she said was actually factually true does not change the answer.

alexx
Student

Post #10

Post by alexx »

kinda pointless question since the bible says all mankind are liars!? :study: :tongue: