Air conditioning vs Homosex

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Columbus
Student

Air conditioning vs Homosex

Post #1

Post by Columbus »

My question can be phrased in different ways. More or less sinful, more or less evil, I don't want to debate the definition of terms like sin or evil. So I will just use the term "worse". By "worse" I just mean "more degrading to the human condition". As an American I don't claim to know enough about other cultures to have an informed opinion about them, so I am just talking about America, personally.
I am not discussing the extremes, either. I realize that there are people whose fragile health necessitates climate control. I am not talking about them. I am also not talking about pedophilia or promiscuity. I'm talking about competent adults having mutually agreeable sex.
The reason I'm asking this question is because I see air-conditioning as worse than homosex. Most Americans don't see this. The damage pervasive airconditioning has done to society seems obvious to me, but I don't see any damage done by gay people having sex. So I'm asking for opinions.
For most of human history there was no airconditioning. Most people today have never had it. It is not a need. But most Americans spend little time outside of a temperature range beyond a few degrees above or below 70F. They won't walk more than a few feet between their car and a building. So physical communities, like neighborhoods, become collections of buildings full of people who have no connection. The global petro-politics that supply the machines with power have become a dominant force far outstripping humanitarian concerns in priority. The power plants that supply the electricity damage the atmosphere in ways beyond our ability to gauge. I do understand the comfort level afforded by airconditioners. But I can also see the damage done by them, and I don't think America's obsession with them is healthy. Obviously, if everyone on the planet expected to be airconditioned to the extent that Americans do, the problems would be horrendous. It could not be done.
By comparison the problems created by gay people having sex seem utterly inconsequential. A few less babies being conceived isn't a problem with 6.5 billion people already here, most of whom are straight and altogether too likely to have more children. If the humans already here were being taken care of adequately it might be different. But they aren't. A few people unlikely to procreate seems like a good thing to me.

So why is homosex considered a bigger problem than airconditioning by American christians? I don't get it.

Tom

ST88
Site Supporter

Re: Air conditioning vs Homosex

Post #2

Post by ST88 »

Air conditioning has other harmful effects as well. Recent research into the causes of allergies has suggested that the lack of low-level pathogens in our immediate living environment has given rise to previously rare allergy types that are now common. Peanut allergies, for example, were almost unheard of a generation ago. Now, they are as common as other medical conditions. The speculation is that the human immune system needs something to do every once in a while or it will overreact to certain substances that look like pathogens -- like the oil in peanuts or the latex from papayas. Air conditioning is the chief air purifier in use in modern homes and offices.

In addition, it helps to dry the skin and nasal membranes, making skin and sinus infections more common. To say nothing of the energy costs and chemical discharge of such units when they break down or need service.

Air conditioning also serves to lengthen legislative sessions needlessly during hot weather (not to mention corporate meeting times that cut into productivity).

It's an odd question you ask, because there are many things that harm society in a practical way more than homosexuality. But while air conditioning has definite negative and positive consequences for society, homosexuality's negatives and positives are less applicable to society as a whole in a practical way and are therefore subject to the whims of opinion and demagoguery. The denial of homosexual "rights" for example, harms no one -- in a practical way -- but the homosexuals themselves. You could argue that the denial of rights to some is the denial of rights to all, but that doesn't translate into something that people can feel for themselves until their own rights are trampled on. As long as a social dichotomy is seen between "them" and "us", it won't "feel" objectionable to those who see themselves as "us".
Every concept that can ever be needed will be expressed by exactly one word, with its meaning rigidly defined and all its subsidiary meanings forgotten. -- George Orwell, 1984

Curious
Sage

Re: Air conditioning vs Homosex

Post #3

Post by Curious »

Columbus wrote:
So why is homosex considered a bigger problem than airconditioning by American christians? I don't get it.

Tom
Because it says so in the Bible. Ask any anti-gay Christian and you will unerringly get the same reply "It is an abomination to God". Pretty sad that the only real argument you get is that it says so in a book. Very few actually give reasons why it is an abomination though. If it is so bad then why are approximately 10% of people that way inclined?

scorpia
Sage

Post #4

Post by scorpia »

Not the most appropropriate response; But you can have air-conditioning without sex, but I can't imagine any sex without air-conditioning.

Well there you go I've embarrased myself :oops:
'Belief is never giving up.'- Random footy adverisement.

Sometimes even a wise man is wrong. Sometimes even a fool is right.

Curious
Sage

Post #5

Post by Curious »

scorpia wrote:
Not the most appropropriate response; But you can have air-conditioning without sex, but I can't imagine any sex without air-conditioning.

Well there you go I've embarrased myself :oops:
Depends on your level of personal hygiene. Have you tried washing it now and again?

scorpia
Sage

Post #6

Post by scorpia »

lol eww I didn't mean it like that lol!
'Belief is never giving up.'- Random footy adverisement.

Sometimes even a wise man is wrong. Sometimes even a fool is right.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Cathar1950 »

I was thinking he was talking about the air conditioner. I have not cleaned mine. I tossed it out this fall and I am going to get a new one. Do you have to clean them?

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #8

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

There are lot's of current issues more important that homosexual sex. Such as:

The upcomming Bird Flu
Global Warming
The waning middle class
Health care
AIDS in Africa
The oil peak
The impending extinction of the first ammendment
Genocides
Natural disasters
America's reversion to plutocracy
Starving children in Africa
More starving children in Africa
Starving children in other countries
Starving children in AMERICA
Starving ADULTS in all the aformentioned places
Unemployment
Civil rights
Exploitation of the poor man
Gun violence
The insufficient justice system
Nationalism
Consumerism
Unregulated corporations
Civil/economic inequality
Industrial agriculture
Industrial... just about everything else
Resource scarcity
Social disorganization
Environmental degration
The endangered national parks
The media
Nuclear weapons
Homicide
Crime
"Fair tax" initiative
Racism
Sexism
Pollution
Unequal distribution of resources
Militarism
Imperialism
Terrorism
Wal-Mart
The end of rights to privacy
Teen sex+abortions
Big business
The religious dogma that ignores all of this

These things actually matter. Which is more than enough reason for todays brand of "Christian" to completely ignore them. PROTECT MARRIAGE!!!

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Cathar1950 »

With all those problems I can see why they want to kick Homosexuals around, they are easy prey. Next We will be told it is all their fault too.
It would seem they could quote Paul where he says that if you believe, your not in sin and only the non-believer is in sin and under the law of the flesh. Which is the most twisted logic next to some silly homophobes that have posted.

Chimp
Scholar

Post #10

Post by Chimp »

You guys have it all wrong...nothing to do with the bible...

It's all about jealousy...let's face facts: gay guys are snappier dressers.