Is Marco Rubio sincere in his use of religion?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Is Marco Rubio correct to wear his religion on his sleeve?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 5

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Is Marco Rubio sincere in his use of religion?

Post #1

Post by 2Dbunk »

The Iowa Caucuses are over. The top three Republican contenders all referenced their religion in their speeches last night. Marco Rubio was more excessive in beseeching God and Jesus than the others. We are seeing more and more of this in election campaigning.

Questions for debate: 1. Is this appropriate behavior? 2. Does Mathew 5-6 cover such personal aggrandizement masquerading as humility and beseeching? 3. Is this a mockery of the political process knowing full well that pretense could be hiding behind the shield of "goodness?"

puddleglum
Sage

Re: Is Marco Rubio sincere in his use of religion?

Post #2

Post by puddleglum »

[Replying to post 1 by 2Dbunk]
1. Is this appropriate behavior?
Since I didn't watch his speech I have no opinion of this question.
2. Does Mathew 5-6 cover such personal aggrandizement masquerading as humility and beseeching?
How do you know his humility isn't real? It appears to me that you may be violating Matthew 7:1, "Judge not, that you be not judged."
3. Is this a mockery of the political process knowing full well that pretense could be hiding behind the shield of "goodness?"
There is no point in discussing this question unless you know for certain that he is guilty of pretense.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to puddleglum]

Quote:
1. Is this appropriate behavior?

Puddleglum wrote:
Since I didn't watch his speech I have no opinion of this question.
Then why are we having this discussion?
2. Does Mathew 5-6 cover such personal aggrandizement masquerading as humility and beseeching?

Puddleglum wrote:
How do you know his humility isn't real? It appears to me that you may be violating Matthew 7:1, "Judge not, that you be not judged."
Oh yeah, his humility is real alright -- but 15 minutes of it . . . is just a little bit much.

As a non-theist I don't feel constricted by Mathew (or Mark or luke or John for that matter). Besides, my apostasy is a victimless "crime."

3. Is this a mockery of the political process knowing full well that pretense could be hiding behind the shield of "goodness?"

There is no point in discussing this question unless you know for certain that he is guilty of pretense.
Well, I guess no one has ever hid behind the cloak of religion, least of all politicians.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Islam is ALL that a religion can be![/quote]

Ancient of Years
Guru

Post #4

Post by Ancient of Years »

Lots of evangelicals in Iowa. Much fewer religious types in New Hampshire. Let's see what happens there.

As Tip O'Neill put it: All politics is local.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake

Donray
Guru

Post #5

Post by Donray »

I think a lot of the politicians are atheists and just say they are religious.

I think Obama, the Clintons, Trump, and many others are not religious.

Masamune
Student

Post #6

Post by Masamune »

The way in which someone chooses to express his or her religious beliefs is completely of their own choice. I don't agree with many of Rubio's beliefs, which is why I would never vote for him. But it is perfectly appropriate to discuss a subject that will inform his decisions and which he feels passionately about.

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 6 by Masamune]
The way in which someone chooses to express his or her religious beliefs is completely of their own choice. I don't agree with many of Rubio's beliefs, which is why I would never vote for him. But it is perfectly appropriate to discuss a subject that will inform his decisions and which he feels passionately about.
Is Rubio's "passion" (any politician for that matter) for his religion pride in his faith or is it utilitarian? Remember what Jesus said about those who pray aloud on street corners (Math. 6 - 7 I believe).

One of the weaknesses of religious promulgation is: what is it being used for? To sell real estate, automobiles, gain votes? God only knows and he's not about to tell us. I became suspicious of this dichotomy at an early age -- through first hand experience. Christians would say certain things Sunday and then turn around and do the other Monday. Sure they are sinners but do they even try to do right? It just turned me off on the whole rig-o-ma-role!

How many cretins hide behind the religion shield in their everyday confidence schemes? I would venture more than the silent majority would admit. The danger of religion is that it can be used for nefarious purposes -- that' why I question its veracity and necessity.
---------------------------------------------------
Islam is ALL a religion can be!

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #8

Post by Youkilledkenny »

Don't most (all?) politicians "do the religious pandering" to gain votes?
I don't know of many politicians that are religious by common, modern standards (meaning, actively practicing religious dogma). Surely there are some but I don't hear about them much if at all.
Which, good or bad, is how most of America is these days - religious only when it benefits them but not when it doesn't.

Donray
Guru

Post #9

Post by Donray »

Obama seems to favor Muslims and Hilary is an atheist as is Trump.

Remember the more educated the more likely an atheist.

Hector Barbosa
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by Hector Barbosa »

Donray wrote: Obama seems to favor Muslims and Hilary is an atheist as is Trump.

Remember the more educated the more likely an atheist.

Yikes! You are arguing that Trump is educated and that this is a point for atheism? This is one of the biggest insults to both atheists and education I have read in quite some time.

You will not find many Atheists or educated people agreeing with that statement outside of the US.