The Golden Rule

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

scottybruno

The Golden Rule

Post #1

Post by scottybruno »

Could you imagine what the world would be like if everyone paid attention to one specific message that is encountered in almost every known religion; "The Golden Rule"?

The earth and her people would become so much closer to divinity. Here are some great examples of the Golden Rule in a few good religions:

"13 Golden Rules from 13 Differing Religious Beliefs"
by: Scott Bruno
http://www.scottbruno.com/golden-rule.htm

Here we see a composition of writings in which each of them is similar within the area of the "Golden Rule" or some aspect therein. It is painful to see different religions and beliefs hurting one another, or speaking of how other believers are going to hell when indeed at the very root of all these beliefs lies a consistent and caring message; The Golden Rule.

"13 Golden Rules from 13 Differing Religious Beliefs"

CHRISTIAN FAITH
*All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.* ~ The Gospels of Matthew and Luke (Matt 7:12, Luke 6:31)

MUSLIM FAITH
*No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself.* ~ Hadith

JEWISH FAITH
*What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor: that is the whole Torah; all the rest of it is commentary; go and learn.* ~ Talmud, Shabbat 31a

BUDDHISM FAITH
*Hurt not others with that which pains yourself.* ~Udana-Varga

NATURISM / MATERIALISM
*Do not do unto others what angers you if done to you by others.* ~Isocrates 436-338 BCE

HINDUISM
*This is the sum of duty; do naught to others that which if done to thee would cause pain.

AFRICAN TRADITIONAL RELIGIONS
*One going to take a pointed stick to pinch a baby bird should first try it on himself to feel how it hurts.* ~ Yoruba Proverb (Nigeria)

BAH*'* FAITH
*And if thine eyes be turned towards justice, choose thou for thy neighbor that which thou chooses for thyself.* ~ Epistle to the Son of the Wolf , 30

SIKHISM FAITH
*Precious like jewels are the minds of all. To hurt them is not at all good. If though desirest thy beloved, then, hurt thou not any one's heart.

ZOROASTRIAN FAITH
*Whatever is disagreeable to yourself do not do unto others.* ~Shayast-na-Shayast 13:29

WICCAN FAITH
*An it harm none, do what thou wilt.* ~ Wiccan Rede

JAINISM
*A man should wander about treating all creatures as he himself would be treated.* ~ Sutrakritanga 1.11.33

CONFUCIANISM
*Tsekung asked, Is there one word that can serve as a principle of conduct for life? Confucius replied, It is the word shu--reciprocity: Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to you.* ~ Analects 15.23

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: The Golden Rule

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

scottybruno wrote:Could you imagine what the world would be like if everyone paid attention to one specific message that is encountered in almost every known religion; "The Golden Rule"?
What is the question for debate? I am sure that most of us have well enough developed imaginations to contemplate the scenario you envision.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #3

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

However, we don't often recognize the interfaith congruity of this message. It is rather uniting for people of differing worldviews, and really puts into perspective the persecutions these faiths endure from one another.

As stated, no question for debate, but a rather interesting compilation, none the less.

QED
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by QED »

CHRISTIAN FAITH
*All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.* ~ The Gospels of Matthew and Luke (Matt 7:12, Luke 6:31)

MUSLIM FAITH
*No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself.* ~ Hadith

JEWISH FAITH
*What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor: that is the whole Torah; all the rest of it is commentary; go and learn.* ~ Talmud, Shabbat 31a

BUDDHISM FAITH

NATURISM / MATERIALISM
*Do not do unto others what angers you if done to you by others.* ~Isocrates 436-338 BCE

HINDUISM
*This is the sum of duty; do naught to others that which if done to thee would cause pain.

AFRICAN TRADITIONAL RELIGIONS
*One going to take a pointed stick to pinch a baby bird should first try it on himself to feel how it hurts.* ~ Yoruba Proverb (Nigeria)

BAH*'* FAITH
*And if thine eyes be turned towards justice, choose thou for thy neighbor that which thou chooses for thyself.* ~ Epistle to the Son of the Wolf , 30

SIKHISM FAITH
*Precious like jewels are the minds of all. To hurt them is not at all good. If though desirest thy beloved, then, hurt thou not any one's heart.

ZOROASTRIAN FAITH
*Whatever is disagreeable to yourself do not do unto others.* ~Shayast-na-Shayast 13:29

WICCAN FAITH
*An it harm none, do what thou wilt.* ~ Wiccan Rede

JAINISM
*A man should wander about treating all creatures as he himself would be treated.* ~ Sutrakritanga 1.11.33

CONFUCIANISM
*Tsekung asked, Is there one word that can serve as a principle of conduct for life? Confucius replied, It is the word shu--reciprocity: Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to you.* ~ Analects 15.23
I would suggest that some are wiser than others.

Vladd44
Sage

Post #5

Post by Vladd44 »

OFC you forgot the neocon doctrine.

Do it to them first or one day in the distant future they might have a small chance of doing it to you.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com

scottybruno

Post #6

Post by scottybruno »

Nice comments and thanks. You guys are right, not sure there is a debate here, :).

Aristarkos
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by Aristarkos »

scottybruno wrote:Could you imagine what the world would be like if everyone paid attention to one specific message that is encountered in almost every known religion; "The Golden Rule"?
Have you heard of Unitarian Universalists? http://www.uua.org/aboutuu
At a UU church you find a mix of people from different world religions. No one is asked to subscribe to a faith creed. Instead we agree to some basic moralistic principles. http://www.uua.org/aboutuua/principles.html I believe these principles are a simple outgrowth of the love and compassion found at the heart of every world religion.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #8

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

Now there is the kind of religion God intended.

There may be hope yet for a single united global faith. There is no doubt that there has been a mass blending of faiths and cultures over the past 100 years, particularly in the current technological age. I will be interested to see how (of if) this tend continues in comming decades.

Aristarkos
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by Aristarkos »

I also see UUs as hope for the future. It will take a long time. Education is the key … once a society is civil.

sue

Post #10

Post by sue »

BUDDHISM FAITH
Part of buddhism is letting go of the ego. I have found that when I'm mindful enough to drop my ego, I'm less susceptible to pain from insensitive remarks which once would have bothered me a great deal. I suspect that emotional pain is nearly impossible to inflict on someone who's truly mastered buddhism.

So someone like the Dalai Lama could go around being a rude, inconsiderate jerk and still adhere to this rule.