Marriage at very young age

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

mms20102
Scholar

Marriage at very young age

Post #1

Post by mms20102 »

Marriage at the age of 10 11 and 12 was the habit of the 11th up to 17th century what do you think about it

Neatras
Guru

Post #2

Post by Neatras »

No bueno. Most (if not all) cases involve individuals who are developmentally immature and not ready to take on the roles assigned to marriage.

We're in a much better position to make these decisions; the emotional maturity that should be prescribed to any seeking marriage is something that is most important to ingrain in youths.

bluethread
Savant

Post #3

Post by bluethread »

Neatras wrote: No bueno. Most (if not all) cases involve individuals who are developmentally immature and not ready to take on the roles assigned to marriage.

We're in a much better position to make these decisions; the emotional maturity that should be prescribed to any seeking marriage is something that is most important to ingrain in youths.

What would be better would be for us to show them by example. The current emphasis one personal pleasure and helicopter parenting just reinforces the childish idea that there is no need to be concerned about acting responsibly, but one can expect that one will be bailed out if anything goes wrong.

Neatras
Guru

Post #4

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 3 by bluethread]

By "example" are you saying to allow child marriages?

mms20102
Scholar

Post #5

Post by mms20102 »

[Replying to post 4 by Neatras]
we are not saying that we should allow it but there is a difference in time at the old ages young boys governed and led armies do you think a boy from nowadays can do the same ?

Neatras
Guru

Post #6

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 5 by mms20102]

I believe the majority of children in the modern era would make more effective generals, given the correct training regimen. That is, they are educated and capable of using critical thinking in greater degree than children in history. They would undoubtedly perform more effectively if they were thrust into similar conditions from where they are now.

However, they should not do this, because that is barbaric.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: Marriage at very young age

Post #7

Post by OnceConvinced »

mms20102 wrote: Marriage at the age of 10 11 and 12 was the habit of the 11th up to 17th century what do you think about it
As you are asking what we think, I will say that I think that back in those days, it was because men were fueled by lust and thought nothing of the age or the sexual maturity of the people they wanted to have sex with. The girls they married were little more than sex slaves, having to obey the commands of their husbands.

These days we don't let people get away with that sort of thing... at least in civilised society. These days we understand that children that young are not emotionally or sexually mature enough be be married off. We understand that marriage is supposed to be an equal partnership, not one person dictating to the other as it was so often the case back then.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

mms20102
Scholar

Post #8

Post by mms20102 »

[Replying to post 7 by OnceConvinced]

sex slaves ! really I mean you say that the all marriage at that time was slavery ! In my opinion that is totally not true I mean they never marry a girl unless she can be responsible for a child at that time girls were getting mature faster and to protect themselves from adultery the made marriage at young age like 14 old boy can marry 12 old girl and in fact I can say many many many girls had sex before the legal age don't you think if we could lower the limit we could reduce the number of sons and daughters with no parents ?

Neatras
Guru

Post #9

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 8 by mms20102]

Lowering the legal age below 16/18 would only put the family in more financial jeopardy. You are putting children in even worse household conditions, because you are encouraging more pregnancies in this way. Bad idea.

mms20102
Scholar

Post #10

Post by mms20102 »

[Replying to post 9 by Neatras]

so you accept adultery and refuse marriage ?!