Why is God love?

Post #1

Post by Closingaccountreadgmailna »

???

Servant77

Re: Why is God love?

Post #2

Post by Servant77 »

The Creator in Perfect Wisdom and Knowledge Always Knows What is Best.

He Created All Things and Orchestrates Everything for the Good of Those who love Him, who are called according to His Purpose.

Doing what is best is a choice. Not an emotion nor a feeling.

A choice of the will.

William
Savant

Post #3

Post by William »

[Replying to Servant77 in post #2]
The Creator in Perfect Wisdom and Knowledge Always Knows What is Best.
See subforum
What is "Perfect"?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #4

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Servant77 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:58 pm The Creator in Perfect Wisdom and Knowledge Always Knows What is Best.

He Created All Things and Orchestrates Everything for the Good of Those who love Him, who are called according to His Purpose.

A choice of the will.
I am obviously not going to buy that. Not even a non - religion based Creator but a sort of Cosmic Creator of no religion. This could just make the Universe and then let evolution do what it does. But as an intended act of creation, not a chance. There were so many extinctions; So many. Wiping out 70 - 90% of species. All were needed to give mammals the chance to dominate. Without that - no Us.

And the way humans are and how they work; it looks like cobbled together solutions to successive problems. It does not even look like a Plan, let alone a Perfect one.

And no religion looks convincing. All create gods in the Tribal image. Chinese gods look Chinese; Indian gods look Indian. And that's how they behave, too. Not Perfect. No way. And like the song says, what's Love got to do with it? It's about power, fear of death, appeasement, desires and sacrifice. Money, a bullock, a virgin daughter. Something valuable, but not essential. Love is the last thing it is about, other than love of authority, wealth and privilege.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #5

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Servant77 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:58 pm The Creator in Perfect Wisdom and Knowledge Always Knows What is Best.

A choice of the will.
I am obviously not going to buy that. Not even a non - religion based Creator but a sort of Cosmic Creator of no religion. This could just make the Universe and then let evolution do what it does. But as an intended act of creation, not a chance. There were so many extinctions; So many. Wiping out 70 - 90% of species. All were needed to give mammals the chance to dominate. Without that - no Us.

And the way humans are and how they work; it looks like cobbled together solutions to successive problems. It does not even look like a Plan, let alone a Perfect one.

And no religion looks convincing. All create gods in the Tribal image. Chinese gods look Chinese; Indian gods look Indian. And that's how they behave, too. Not Perfect. No way. And like the song says, what's Love got to do with it? It's about power, fear of death, appeasement, desires and sacrifice. Money, a bullock, a virgin daughter. Something valuable, but not essential. Love is the last thing it is about, other than love of authority, wealth and privilege.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Purple Knight »

Best for who?

Everyone as a whole, in general?

That entails sacrificing the few for the many. A rapist or murderer may be put in jail; that is best for the most people... but not for the criminal. Society finds this acceptable not because it is best, though that may be the motive for wanting it, but because the criminal has broken a very serious law, and had every opportunity not to break that law and not be imprisoned.

But we have to now consider, are there those that if we imprison, despite them not breaking any law, it would make it better for the majority? I'm an example. I question things, especially things I and those of like mind believe. I annoy people. I seed what I will concede is pointless and harmful doubt. Simply killing me off would make everyone else happier. The same is true for Adolf Hitler. How could he do what was illegal? He was dictator. (Ignoring the putsch for the purposes of the example.)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

WHY IS GOD LOVE?

Why is heat warm? Why is water wet? ....Because. Some things are what they are. Jehovah (YHWH) is described in scripture, not as having love, or just being loving... scripture says "God is love" , so it is saying God is the epitome of love, the personification of love. Biblically, like water, heat and light... He is what he is. Unlike water, heat and water, Jehovah (YHWH) is what he is because of actively deciding to be that way (see Exodus 3:15)
EPITOME

a person or thing that is a perfect example of a particular quality or type

RELATED POSTS
What does the bible expression "God is love" actually mean?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 54#p954754

Is 1 John 4: 8 ("God is love) a metaphor? [this thread]
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 83#p954183

Does God love us?
viewtopic.php?p=1049585#p1049585

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

To learn more please go to other posts related to ....

GOD, LOVE and ...THE DIVINE PERSONALITY
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by boatsnguitars »

God is a cartoon character; like from Marvel. When the writers of the comic book were coming up with cool things to say, they said, "God is Love." It's meaningless, especially when you consider God's actions. It's just something for the God Fanboys to brag about their favorite character.

Think, though, about the people who believe in this "Loving God" - like abused spouses they ignore the anger, hatred, violence, (they presume God exists and attribute "Acts of God" to him), abandonment (since he never shows, even Jesus whined about God being absent), etc.

When one is thinking about God, one has to divide the character in the comic, and the Being the believer imagines actually exists. They are two different characters.

The believer forces themselves to believe the Mythological version (Myth in the sense that contradictory things can be true: both loving and hateful, Just and Forgiving, Alive and Not, etc.) They force themselves because they believe they have to - as it is taught to them by the people taking their money.

In the end, simply ask a believer if God agrees and has confirmed that he is Love. Have them speak for God - have them tell you what God says about the matter. Not what the Bible says, not what they believe - but what God actually says.

You'll get nothing because God doesn't exist, and therefore can't be Love.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #9

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:50 pm WHY IS GOD LOVE?

Why is heat warm? Why is water wet? ....Because. Some things are what they are. Jehovah (YHWH) is described in scripture, not as having love, or just being loving... scripture says "God is love" , so it is saying God is the epitome of love, the personification of love. Biblically, like water, heat and light... He is what he is. Unlike water, heat and water, Jehovah (YHWH) is what he is because of actively deciding to be that way (see Exodus 3:15)
EPITOME

RELATED POSTS

Does God love us?

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

Warmth and wetness are things that we all know, can experience and can test, even if wetness is not entirely understood. We experience wetness but molecules are not wet. But it is a sensation and associated action that some compounds effect on us. Similarly, Love is a sensation and associated actions by nurture or nature. Like morality, we understand that better now and do not need to associate it with a stopgap mythical being 'doing it'. That ought to be enough to reject the religious claim, but hate and dislike is also an instinct, by nature or nurture. Do we ascribe that to God? I don't think so. Rather it gets blamed on us. This whole 'God is Love' argument is a con and even worse, 'God is real because of Love' is a scam. This is a Christian apologetic that shows a cultivated closed - mindedness, ignorance and Faithbased denial. There is no reason to credit any of their claims. Not even the Exodus now, though I gotta admit the Shroud is a puzzle :D .

P.s sorry for the duplicate post. It happens when I correct final typo and it repeats rather than corrects.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by boatsnguitars »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:07 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:50 pm WHY IS GOD LOVE?

EPITOME

RELATED POSTS

Does God love us?

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

Warmth and wetness are things that we all know, can experience and can test, even if wetness is not entirely understood. We experience wetness but molecules are not wet. But it is a sensation and associated action that some compounds effect on us. Similarly, Love is a sensation and associated actions by nurture or nature. Like morality, we understand that better now and do not need to associate it with a stopgap mythical being 'doing it'. That ought to be enough to reject the religious claim, but hate and dislike is also an instinct, by nature or nurture. Do we ascribe that to God? I don't think so. Rather it gets blamed on us. This whole 'God is Love' argument is a con and even worse, 'God is real because of Love' is a scam. This is a Christian apologetic that shows a cultivated closed - mindedness, ignorance and Faithbased denial. There is no reason to credit any of their claims. Not even the Exodus now, though I gotta admit the Shroud is a puzzle :D .

P.s sorry for the duplicate post. It happens when I correct final typo and it repeats rather than corrects.
I'd like to thumbs up this, but I can't due to the comment about the Shroud! :-)
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm