Making it absolutely clear so anyone can understand

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Making it absolutely clear so anyone can understand

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Divine Insight wrote: Atheism is not a belief anymore than choosing not to play golf is a belief. No faith is required to choose to not play golf.
A new standard of quotability.

After reading that statement it would seem to require willful ignorance to continue claiming that Atheism is a belief, a faith (or require faith), or a worldview.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Making it absolutely clear so anyone can understand

Post #2

Post by ttruscott »

Zzyzx wrote: .
Divine Insight wrote: Atheism is not a belief anymore than choosing not to play golf is a belief. No faith is required to choose to not play golf.

After reading that statement it would seem to require willful ignorance to continue claiming that Atheism is a belief, a faith (or require faith), or a worldview.
IF everyone created in HIS image was asked to accept HIM by our free will as their GOD or to reject HIM by our free will as GOD without proof but only on the hope HIS claims to be our GOD were true, then to choose either option is to make a faith based decision, since it is based upon an unproven hope, which is the way the bible defines biblical faith.

I for one have never claimed that all choices are faith based but to refer to a decision that is not faith based as proof that no decision is a choice by faith is, well, narrow sighted?
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

[Replying to post 2 by ttruscott]

So are you saying that you have "Chosen on Faith" to reject, Zeus, Thor, Odin, Apollo, Athena, Allah, and every other God that humanity has ever claimed existed?

Don't forget the Gods of the Mayans, Incas, American Indians, Hindus, etc,....

Your faith must be pretty worn-out by now having knowingly and willingly rejected so many Gods.

This argument doesn't hold water Ted. Why do you buy into it? You must have bought into it yourself to now be arguing for it. How can you not see that it has no credibility?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #4

Post by Bust Nak »

ttruscott wrote: IF everyone created in HIS image was asked to accept HIM by our free will as their GOD or to reject HIM by our free will as GOD without proof but only on the hope HIS claims to be our GOD were true, then to choose either option is to make a faith based decision, since it is based upon an unproven hope, which is the way the bible defines biblical faith.

I for one have never claimed that all choices are faith based but to refer to a decision that is not faith based as proof that no decision is a choice by faith is, well, narrow sighted?
That's question begging, if atheism is a decision by faith then golf would not be a good analogy. Now you have to defend the claim that atheism is a decision by faith, people who thinks atheism is like not playing gold are obviously not going to just accept that premise.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by rikuoamero »

ttruscott wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: .

IF everyone created in HIS image was asked to accept HIM by our free will as their GOD or to reject HIM by our free will as GOD without proof but only on the hope HIS claims to be our GOD were true, then to choose either option is to make a faith based decision, since it is based upon an unproven hope, which is the way the bible defines biblical faith.

Going by the logic you espouse, a person who hopes there is an already existing easy cure for cancer on his desk (without any proof at all) and who then subsequently believes it and preaches about it should be lauded and held up as an example of a virtuous man by yourself.
After all...he hopes there's a cure for cancer. He has no proof of it but believes the cure for cancer is on his desk

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

jgh7

Post #6

Post by jgh7 »

I think there are two types of atheism:

1) The kind you stated (lacking belief)

2) The kind that goes one step further and believes that god(s) and the supernatural do not exist.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #7

Post by benchwarmer »

jgh7 wrote: I think there are two types of atheism:

1) The kind you stated (lacking belief)

2) The kind that goes one step further and believes that god(s) and the supernatural do not exist.
Every time this comes up I have to go look up definitions. We sure like to label and then argue about labels :)

I've seen these terms:

Atheist
Gnostic Atheist
Agnostic Atheist
Anti-theist
Ignostic

Someone smarter than me can explain more. At the end of the day we are allowed to label ourselves whatever we like. Then we debate about whether the other person is actually the label they chose. Then we label the other person whatever we like. Then we derail topics like this. Then I put my label maker down since my tin foil hat is already covered.