Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

If god was female?

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

If god had been created as a female by the authors of the Bible instead of a male, would women have been treated very differently over the centuries? In my opinion, god was only given the male gender because in the ancient world men were considered to be superior to the female. If any god does exist it is more likely to be genderless.

Women featured in the Bible aren't treated well on the whole, but as reproductive machines for the most part.  Solomon's many concubines obviously played a big part in keeping his dangly bits busy! Did they do it willingly, or more likely did they have no say in the matter? Whilst most Christian women these days demand to be treated as equal to men, more extreme male members of the faith still expect them to be subservient to their wishes using the Bible as an excuse.

There is very little woman can't do that men can, and visa versa. You never know, one day men might evolve enough to become pregnant!

Is there anyone on this forum who thinks men and women should stay trapped in the traditional roles society and religion had placed upon them?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: If god was female?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JJ50 wrote:Is there anyone on this forum who thinks men and women should stay trapped in the traditional roles society and religion had placed upon them?
Maybe, when people on forums such as this stop feeling the need to identify themselves by their age for example 67 and by their sex: ie "female". Such a classification is entirely unnecessary in the context of intellectual exchange but even those that claim to hope for a genderless world are still voluntarily label themselves by gender.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by JJ50 »

[Replying to post 2 by JehovahsWitness]

I didn't hope for a genderless world, I hope for a world where men and women are treated as equals.

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

JJ50 wrote: ...Whilst most Christian women these days demand to be treated as equal to men, more extreme male members of the faith still expect them to be subservient to their wishes using the Bible as an excuse. ...
Yeah, Bible is not equal, it says that men should love their wives as themselves and even be willing to die for them. And for women it is just expected that they respect their man. In my opinion the standard for men is much higher than for women. But how many “equality� protesters are demanding similar standard to love for women? All they seem to want is more power for themselves, I don’t see love in the air.:)

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the assembly, and gave himself up for it; that he might sanctify it, having cleansed it by the washing of water with the word, that he might present the assembly to himself gloriously, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. Even so ought husbands also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself. For no man ever hated his own flesh; but nourishes and cherishes it, even as the Lord also does the assembly; because we are members of his body, of his flesh and bones. "For this cause a man will leave his father and mother, and will be joined to his wife. The two will become one flesh." This mystery is great, but I speak concerning Christ and of the assembly. Nevertheless each of you must also love his own wife even as himself; and let the wife see that she respects her husband.
Eph. 5:25-33

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JJ50 wrote: [Replying to post 2 by JehovahsWitness]

I didn't hope for a genderless world, I hope for a world where men and women are treated as equals.
And what does "men giving birth" have to do with equality? Is the same synonymous with "equality"?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by JJ50 »

1213 wrote:
JJ50 wrote: ...Whilst most Christian women these days demand to be treated as equal to men, more extreme male members of the faith still expect them to be subservient to their wishes using the Bible as an excuse. ...
Yeah, Bible is not equal, it says that men should love their wives as themselves and even be willing to die for them. And for women it is just expected that they respect their man. In my opinion the standard for men is much higher than for women. But how many “equality� protesters are demanding similar standard to love for women? All they seem to want is more power for themselves, I don’t see love in the air.:)

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the assembly, and gave himself up for it; that he might sanctify it, having cleansed it by the washing of water with the word, that he might present the assembly to himself gloriously, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. Even so ought husbands also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself. For no man ever hated his own flesh; but nourishes and cherishes it, even as the Lord also does the assembly; because we are members of his body, of his flesh and bones. "For this cause a man will leave his father and mother, and will be joined to his wife. The two will become one flesh." This mystery is great, but I speak concerning Christ and of the assembly. Nevertheless each of you must also love his own wife even as himself; and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

That gives the impression the woman is a chattel or pet! If my husband expected me to be submissive to him he would be very sorry indeed. Fortunately he believes women are equal to guys in all things.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JJ50 »

1213 wrote:

At best that is patronising garbage. But then the not so good book is full of it. I am so glad my husband treats me like an equal, I would have divorced him if he expected me to be submissive to him!

theophile
Guru

Post #8

Post by theophile »

[Replying to JJ50]
If god had been created as a female by the authors of the Bible instead of a male
You've got it completely wrong. Look at the first insight we have into God's gender in Genesis 1:26-27:

Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness...
So God created mankind in his* own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

What does this tell you?

You get more insight if you recognize the name of God used here is in fact plural. i.e., Elohim (versus Yahweh). Not a singular being but, as per the passage, something closer to the male - female relationship. A union or partnership.

So you (or anyone) are wrong to assign a specific gender to God. Rather, God is more properly thought in the Hebrew imagination as the coupling of genders.

*The pronouns "his" and "he" in the verses cited are the result of English translation. i.e., they reveal biases of English translators vs Hebrew authors. What you should notice, though, and is the more accurate capturing of the God-nature, is the "Let us." Again, God is plural. Not just one but many acting as one. Like a husband and wife ought to.

(Also note: your point on the relationship of man and woman, and whether it is hierarchical, is a whole other question... I would argue against what you say here of the biblical authors. There is no hierarchy indicated, and I would suggest that the hierarchy that arises is due to the fall - i.e., it is not reflective of God's nature or calling of us. But yes, traditional understanding has been otherwise... We live in a fallen world where man rules over his wife.)

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by JJ50 »

Humans wrote the Bible giving their version of god all the worst human features, the much maligned Satan could be no worse it he existed.

theophile
Guru

Post #10

Post by theophile »

[Replying to JJ50]
Humans wrote the Bible giving their version of god all the worst human features, the much maligned Satan could be no worse it he existed.
Is that supposed to be a response? If so, it was devoid of argument. And completely ignorant of the textual evidence that I provided about the Hebrew "version of God" which is properly thought of as man and woman, or as somehow containing both genders.

So try again.