Which Messianic prophecies did Jesus fulfill beyond a doubt?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Which Messianic prophecies did Jesus fulfill beyond a doubt?

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

Born of the tribe of Judah
- considering that your support for this is Luke 3:23-33, a text that is directly contradicted by Matthew 1:1-17, I wonder which of the two are accurate (if either)
- The genealogy in Luke extends all the way back to Adam and includes Noah. There is no evidence that either of these characters even existed. A genealogy containing fictional characters cannot be reliable
- In order to use Luke's genealogy as evidence, you will therefore first have to prove that Noah and Adam were literal people. If they were merely fictional characters, the entire genealogy is unreliable

Born of a virgin
- There is absolutely no evidence for this

Descended from King David
- As mentioned before, as Matthew contradicts Luke regarding Jesus' genealogy, it's questionable which one is accurate (if either)

Declared by Jehovah to be his Son
- There is absolutely no evidence for this

Not believed in
- That's hardly a prophecy. Ironically, this prophecy is inevitably true for every false Messiah. The fact that you do not believe any of the other possible Messiah's were the true Messiah means that every one of these false Messiah's fulfill this prophecy. It's harder to not fulfill this prophecy than it is to fulfill it

Entered Jerusalem riding a donkey
- This prophecy was well known and could easily have been achieved by anyone. If I wanted to make people believe I was the Messiah, what would have stopped me from just buying a donkey and riding into Jerusalem with it? The prophecy would’ve been much more impressive had it been placed further out of human control.

Betrayed by a close associate
- How is Psalm 41:9 a prophecy? The author of Psalm 41 was clearly talking about his own struggles.

Psalm 41:9 "Even my close friend, someone I trusted, one who shared my bread, has turned against me."

Unless you mean to argue that Jesus himself wrote Psalm 41?

In Psalm 41:4, we read the author saying “Have mercy on me, Lord; heal me, for I have sinned against you.� Did Jesus sin against God? No. So clearly Psalm 41 was not about the Messiah

Betrayed for 30 silver pieces
- Zechariah 11 is very open to interpretation. A prophecy hidden in a text with a thousand possible meanings is not much of a prophecy. If you believe in prophecies hidden in layers of metaphors and interpretations then you would have to consider Nostradamus a prophet as well

Silent before his accusers
- As with the donkey before, fulfilling this prophecy was entirely in Jesus' control. If I were in Jesus' position and I wanted to go down history as the Messiah, I'd have kept silent too

Lots cast for his garments
- Just as with Psalm 41 before, Psalm 22 was not a prophecy. Unless, again, you would consider Jesus to be the author of Psalm 22 as the author was clearly talking about his own struggles.

Psalm 22:6 "But I am a worm and not a man"
- was Jesus a worm? (metaphorically speaking of course) Wasn't Jesus a sinless man? Why would Psalm 22 speak so badly of Jesus if this was about him?

Mocked while on the stake
- See above regarding Psalm 22
- Psalm 22:7 - 8 doesn't even mention a stake

None of his bones broken
Psalm 34:19 - 20 "The righteous person may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all; he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken."

In the context of Psalm 34, the author clearly meant that God will protect the righteous person and protect all his bones from breaking. As with all the Psalms you keep listing, Psalm 34 was not a prophecy about the Messiah.

Buried with the rich
- I think this may well be the only prophecy Jesus actually fulfilled. But was Jesus unique in this prophecy at all? How many people were buried with the rich?

Can all Messianic prophecies be discredited?

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

[Replying to Goat]
Goat wrote: And you, Bethlehem Ephrathah-you should have been the lowest of the clans of Judah-from you [he] shall emerge for Me, to be a ruler over Israel .
This confirms what Lewis Black has to say about Christians reading and understanding the OT.

"That book (the OT) wasn't good enough for you Christians.....was it!

No, 'we've got a better book with a better character. You're gonna love him.'

And you called your book new, and said that our book was 'old.'

And every Sunday I turn on the television set. And there's a priest or a pastor reading..... from my book. And interpreting it. And their interpretations, I have to tell you, are usually wrong.

And it's not their fault..... because it's not their book.

You never see a rabbi on TV interpreting the New Testament... dew yew!

If you want to truly understand the Old Testament, if there is something you don't quite get... there are Jews who walk among yew... and they, I promise you this, will take time out of their very Jewy Jewy day.... and interpret anything you are having trouble understanding.

And we will do that... if of course the price is right."
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.