Stephen Colbert

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Nirvana-Eld
Apprentice

Stephen Colbert

Post #1

Post by Nirvana-Eld »

So first (if you have time) here is a link to a 24 minute video of Stephen Colbert being quite literally the bravest man in America today. No need to watch if you've already seen it. Just a little background info, this is at the White House Correspondants Association dinner. Stephen Colbert is a guest speaker and long story short, he rips on everyone from the President, to his staff, and even the media itself! The best part is he does it to their face.

http://video.freevideoblog.com/video/AA ... 83E27F.htm

Now the question is do you think what Mr. Colbert was at all inappropriate? Why or why not?

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Cathar1950 »

Funny stuff. I love his show. He could be the Mark Twain or Will Rogers of our time. It took guts. I wonder if they will shoot him?

youngborean
Sage

Post #3

Post by youngborean »

I really didn't think it was that big of a deal. The great thing about america is that everyone is expected to be candid or honest until they are in front of the press. His show will probably take a hit, it's too bad that "freedom" of the press usually trumps freedom of speech of the public.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #4

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

I don't care much for the Colbert Report (I think he was better on the Daily Show personally), but that clip was just priceless.

Anyway, what were they expecting when they invited him?

juliod
Guru

Post #5

Post by juliod »

I don't see what the issue is. Hasn't anyone heard of a "roast"? That's what you do. I remember (I was very young) Chevy Chase doing a nasty impression of Gerald Ford.

Colbert is good. But like everyone who has to do a topical, daily show, he has the problem of consistency of material.

DanZ

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Re: Stephen Colbert

Post #6

Post by Bugmaster »

What I find really ironic is the difference in reaction to Colbert's performance. The left-wing media says, "wow, he dared to speak the truth", whereas the right-wing media says, "he just wasn't funny". Hmmmm.

juliod
Guru

Post #7

Post by juliod »

The left-wing media says
Wait. What's this thing called "left-wing media"? I've heard the phrase before, but I don't know what it would look like.

DanZ

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by McCulloch »

juliod wrote:Wait. What's this thing called "left-wing media"? I've heard the phrase before, but I don't know what it would look like.

DanZ

Ormaybe this:
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Bugmaster »

juliod wrote:Wait. What's this thing called "left-wing media"? I've heard the phrase before, but I don't know what it would look like.
I was actually thinking blogs, but the vast Illuminati-esque conspiracy is good, too :-)

atheist_infidel0304
Student

Post #10

Post by atheist_infidel0304 »

It isn't any worse than what Imus said in the roasting of Clinton a few years back. The only reason why there is shock about this is because Colbert said what the media is afraid to say in much kinder terms.