Tithing requirement.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Tithing requirement.

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Most Evangelical churches (and Jehohvah's Witnesses too?) make it clear that it's members are expected to tithe, that is give one tenth of their income to the church.

They seem to ignore historical context of the tithe, that is, it was in effect a tax for the Jewish theocracy of Bible times.

And adding an extra ten percent in modern times seems an unfair extra burden in this day and age of taxes owed to a secular government.

Growing up Roman Catholic, I never heard about the "tithe" it was never expected and no pressure was put upon the parishioner to pledge 1/10th of one's income to the Church.

Sure, donations were always welcome, but they were voluntary. This is to the credit of the RCC.

For debate:

1) Do Evangelicals and Jehovah's Witnesses require the tithe of their membership?
2) In this day and age of secular taxation, is the demand for the tithe outmoded, unfair and unrealistic?
3) Does the expectation or the requirement of the tithe discriminate against those of limited income? (after all, 10% to a poor person is much more difficult that it is to a wealthy person)
4) Would Jesus approve of such discrimination, whether overt or insidious?
5) Do Evangelicals look down on those who cannot or will not tithe? Are they "2nd class" in an Evangelical Church?
6) Is the willingness and/or ability to tithe a source of pride for the Evangelical?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Tithing requirement.

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Elijah John wrote: Most Evangelical churches (and Jehohvah's Witnesses too?) make it clear that it's members are expected to tithe, that is give one tenth of their income to the church.

No, Jehovah's Witnessess do NOT have any tithing requirements. All contributions are made on a strictly voluntary basis and no minimum amount or percentage is imposed.

JW

Further reading
https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesse ... -financed/

Video Presentation: Use of contributed funds
https://tv.jw.org/#en/mediaitems/Accomp ... 05_1_VIDEO

click on picture to enlarge

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES , FINANCES and ... CHURCH LEADERSHIP
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Point 3

I found when i was poor that it was much easier to tithe than now that i am rich.

Jesus said blessed are the poor in spirit ... etc.

Also the beauty of percentages is that the poor and rich can both give. Discrimination would be to deny a poor persons offering because it was below an amount.

So perhaps you don't understand percentages if you think they discriminate?

Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.

43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.�
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #4

Post by imhereforyou »

Elijah John wrote: Most Evangelical churches (and Jehohvah's Witnesses too?) make it clear that it's members are expected to tithe, that is give one tenth of their income to the church.

They seem to ignore historical context of the tithe, that is, it was in effect a tax for the Jewish theocracy of Bible times.

And adding an extra ten percent in modern times seems an unfair extra burden in this day and age of taxes owed to a secular government.

Growing up Roman Catholic, I never heard about the "tithe" it was never expected and no pressure was put upon the parishioner to pledge 1/10th of one's income to the Church.

Sure, donations were always welcome, but they were voluntary. This is to the credit of the RCC.

For debate:

1) Do Evangelicals and Jehovah's Witnesses require the tithe of their membership?
2) In this day and age of secular taxation, is the demand for the tithe outmoded, unfair and unrealistic?
3) Does the expectation or the requirement of the tithe discriminate against those of limited income? (after all, 10% to a poor person is much more difficult that it is to a wealthy person)
4) Would Jesus approve of such discrimination, whether overt or insidious?
5) Do Evangelicals look down on those who cannot or will not tithe? Are they "2nd class" in an Evangelical Church?
6) Is the willingness and/or ability to tithe a source of pride for the Evangelical?
My church had tithe AND offerings: 10% tithe and anything else over and above that was an offering.
But people complained as can be expected.
Personally, any god that asks for my money is suspect as far as I can see. But I tithed like a good little brainwashed slave because I was SUPPOSED to tithe. And I gave more sometimes.
What can I say? I was young and impressionable.

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 4 by imhereforyou]

And now are you still brainwashed?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #6

Post by imhereforyou »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 4 by imhereforyou]

And now are you still brainwashed?

I've freed myself from that shackle so no I'm no longer brainwashed.
Thanks for the concern :P

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to imhereforyou]

How much do you give now?

bjs
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by bjs »

Elijah John wrote: 1) Do Evangelicals and Jehovah's Witnesses require the tithe of their membership?
No, I have never come across an Evangelical church which requires a tithe for membership.
Elijah John wrote: 2) In this day and age of secular taxation, is the demand for the tithe outmoded, unfair and unrealistic?
No, I have known many people who voluntarily tithe today. I find it to be a good rule of thumb for giving and entirely realistic for those who put spiritual things above material things.
Elijah John wrote: 3) Does the expectation or the requirement of the tithe discriminate against those of limited income? (after all, 10% to a poor person is much more difficult that it is to a wealthy person)
No, I have found that those with limited income are for more likely to tithe than those who are wealthy.

Elijah John wrote: 4) Would Jesus approve of such discrimination, whether overt or insidious?
I remember Jesus saying something very positive about a poor woman who was still willing to give.
Elijah John wrote: 5) Do Evangelicals look down on those who cannot or will not tithe? Are they "2nd class" in an Evangelical Church?
These two deal with the heart, and that is far more complicated. The best I can say is that it is not true of all, but is probably true of some.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

bluethread
Savant

Post #9

Post by bluethread »

There is not penalty for not tithing in HaTorah, apart from losing favor with Adonai. Therefore, we do not enforce the tithes. However, every year, as we read the appropriate passages we note the three tithes commanded there, first, the annual tithe for the poor, second, the annual tithe for the feasts and third, the triannual tithe for the Temple and the Levite. The tithe for the poor is pretty self explanatory. One is to give a tithe of one's net income to the poor. The second is a tithe one is to set aside, so one has enough to rest, give gifts and enjoy oneself during the feasts. The third is more problematic. It is really only three and one third percent a year. Also, there is no Temple, so there is no way to give that, unless one were to give it to the Temple Institute that is preparing for the eventual rebuilding of the Temple. Therefore, most just add that three and a third percent to the tithe for the poor. Again, these are among the commandments that are left to the individual to manage.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #10

Post by Elijah John »

Wootah wrote:
Also the beauty of percentages is that the poor and rich can both give. Discrimination would be to deny a poor persons offering because it was below an amount.

So perhaps you don't understand percentages if you think they discriminate?

Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.

43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.�
10 % to a poor person is far more difficult to spare than it is for a rich person.

Yes, Jesus commended the poor widow, but did not require she give all she had.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.