What is the definition of sin?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

What is the definition of sin?

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Another drive-by post for me, but in another OP everyone wanted to know my definition off sin:
My response was to use the Bible, I have no personal opinion.

But so many people wanted to know my opinion and to define it, I thought it would be worth creating the topic for them to discuss in.

So, here is a topic specifically about the definition of sin.
Please discuss.

marco
Savant

Post #31

Post by marco »

marco wrote:
Prince wrote:
Sins are forgiven once one serves God. That is why scripture says that the righteous serve God but sinners do not.

Serving God makes one righteous. It is not boring. There are other activities one can do.
Going about our daily lives in an honourable fashion makes one righteous. Schindler was named Righteous Among the Nations, not for serving God, but for helping people in distress. Jesus said that giving a cup of water to the thirsty or clothing the needy is serving God; monks believed laborare est orare - work is prayer. I suspect that many righteous people never think of God for a moment; they are too busy with real life.

However, if serving God causes one to help others, there is nothing wrong with such service, though it's a round-about way of doing good.

I worry about those pious folk who, in serving God, try to kill poor Marco.

Prince
Scholar

Post #32

Post by Prince »

marco wrote:
marco wrote:
Prince wrote:
Sins are forgiven once one serves God. That is why scripture says that the righteous serve God but sinners do not.

Serving God makes one righteous. It is not boring. There are other activities one can do.
Going about our daily lives in an honourable fashion makes one righteous. Schindler was named Righteous Among the Nations, not for serving God, but for helping people in distress. Jesus said that giving a cup of water to the thirsty or clothing the needy is serving God; monks believed laborare est orare - work is prayer. I suspect that many righteous people never think of God for a moment; they are too busy with real life.

However, if serving God causes one to help others, there is nothing wrong with such service, though it's a round-about way of doing good.

I worry about those pious folk who, in serving God, try to kill poor Marco.
Giving a cup of cool water and clothing the naked is not as man thinks but as the prophets have shown. It is giving the word of God. It is abiding in the words of the Son of man as He instructed.

"If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple then you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

" If the Son frees you, you shall truly be free. "

"Genuine worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth"

"Father your word is truth. "

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by ttruscott »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 28 by Prince]

If God is omnipotent, then everyone serves him,it can be no other way.
Everyone must be righteous.

Time to get another religion.
Your consistency in this is based upon a misrepresentation of Christian doctrine that omnipotence means interfering in the free will of others...

A Free Will means not interfered with.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #34

Post by ttruscott »

marco wrote:
Prince wrote:

Going about our daily lives in an honourable fashion makes one righteous.
This is denied by 'saved not by works but by faith...'
Schindler was named Righteous Among the Nations, not for serving God, but for helping people in distress.
Yes, so named by the world which has its own definitions. Many people serve the needy in all cultures - they are not deemed righteous by YHWH for that.

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #35

Post by imhereforyou »

dio9 wrote: Sin is simply disobedience , when God is the law giver and judge. God gave Adam one word of law to obey. His disobedience brought death upon him. Paul wrote " sin is death". Moses gave over 600. In the Jewish tradition of which we are inheritors sin is failing to keep the laws. It was practically impossible to keep all the laws . Paul wrote it was only Jesus , the second Adam , who kept all the laws perfectly obedient unto death. Originally traditionally sin is disobedience. We Christians now have simplified the Law to 10 commandments. To disobey any of those is sin.
Is this true of everyone or only those who believe?
Is it permissible to have 'personalized sin' as some Christians believe (some think dancing is/was a sin, some think drinking, some think smoking, etc)

Tcg
Savant

Re: What is the definition of sin?

Post #36

Post by Tcg »

Willum wrote:
Please discuss.
The concept of sin is nothing but an arbitrary determination of what is right and wrong based on ancient texts whose followers claim is a source of absolute truth.

Religions use the concept to gain followers. Without the imaginary "sickness" titled sin, there would be no need to seek the "solution" specific religions offer. Once a religion convinces you that the problem it has created is real, it's not hard to get you to buy into the story to gain it's solution.

Savant

Post #37

Post by 1213 »

marco wrote: In John 8:11 we have "And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.". The lady didn't ask where sin is defined in the Bible. She knew what it was. When I said "sin is defined as..." I was indicating what we mean by the word sin. And it is the meaning Jesus supposed the naughty lady knew. We don't get our definitions from a Bible text; we draw our conclusions from what is written.
In that case adultery can be seen as result of sin, which I believe is that person rejects God. If person doesn’t reject God, he wants to live by God’s commandments.

KingandPriest
Sage

Post #38

Post by KingandPriest »

Willum wrote: Another drive-by post for me, but in another OP everyone wanted to know my definition off sin:
My response was to use the Bible, I have no personal opinion.

But so many people wanted to know my opinion and to define it, I thought it would be worth creating the topic for them to discuss in.

Please discuss.
As a Christian, we get our understanding of sin from the bible. So it is best to look there for a good definition. In the Hebrew there are at least eight basic words which shape our understanding of sin: “ra, bad (Genesis 38:7); rasha, wickedness (Exodus 2:13); asham, guilt (Hosea 4:15); shagag, to go astray (Numbers 15:28); avon, iniquity (I Samuel 3:13); chattah, to sin (Exod 20:20); taah, wander away (Ezekiel 48:11); pasha, rebel (I Kings 8:50).

All of these words point back to the same root word חָטָ� chattah, which means to sin. A simple definition of this word is to miss the mark, or to miss. The simplest example would be of an archer who misses the mark (the bulls eye) or the target.

The target in this case is to follow the will, intent and desire of God. This can be in the area of how we interact with one another, human to human, or how we manage our resources to ensure the next generation is cared for. Every aspect of human life has "a targeted way" that we should aspire to. When a person misses the mark in any area, that is a sin. Whether it is in the areas of interpersonal relationships, respecting another persons property, or sex, there is a target that we should aim for. This target is not our subjective opinions, but the intent of our creator.

So when a person sins, they have missed the mark. This can be willful or accidental.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #39

Post by ttruscott »

KingandPriest wrote: All of these words point back to the same root word חָטָ� chattah, which means to sin. A simple definition of this word is to miss the mark, or to miss. The simplest example would be of an archer who misses the mark (the bulls eye) or the target.

The target in this case is to follow the will, intent and desire of God.
All of HIS intent, HIS will and HIS desires flow from HIS nature, HIS divine attributes. Therefore to sin is to miss the target of being in accord with HIS nature.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #40

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:
What is the definition of sin
Brother better'n you declarin' him a god he can't show exists has him an opinion he can't show he does a-sittin' there proud of himself for his faulty argument.

Because the geyhs.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin