Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Tart
Banned
Banned

"Preaching"

Post #1

Post by Tart »

You guys need to get some better established, objective kind of ruling about "preaching", becuase in the middle of debating, if we use scripture to make a point that it is true, that is borderline preaching and gets labeled "preaching" all the time...

But it is 100% necessary to use the scripture in order to determine whether or not that scripture is true and relevant... I mean atheist even use the scripture all the time, in the same way Christians use it, except they use scripture to make a point that it is false, when Christians do it to make a point its true... This rule is a double standard, and isnt well defined... and sometimes all it does is disrupt a debate...

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: "Preaching"

Post #2

Post by benchwarmer »

Tart wrote: You guys need to get some better established, objective kind of ruling about "preaching", becuase in the middle of debating, if we use scripture to make a point that it is true, that is borderline preaching and gets labeled "preaching" all the time...

But it is 100% necessary to use the scripture in order to determine whether or not that scripture is true and relevant... I mean atheist even use the scripture all the time, in the same way Christians use it, except they use scripture to make a point that it is false, when Christians do it to make a point its true... This rule is a double standard, and isnt well defined... and sometimes all it does is disrupt a debate...
Preaching has nothing to do with quoting scripture. Preaching is declaring something to be true and assuming everyone will just believe you.

For example:

Preaching:
Blue candies are the best and therefore you all need to eat blue candies.

Not preaching:
The book of bonbons by Ginklebrook and Ploofy claims that blue candies are the best on page 23.

See the difference?

To use a Bible example:

Preaching:
The Bible says God is real, therefore He is real. Believe and be saved!

Not preaching:
The Bible claims God is real on page X. If one believes in all tales of the Bible, then one believes this as well.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

benchwarmer answered it quite well.

I want to add that there is no way to be completely objective about this rule. There is given a bit of leeway about preaching violations. Typically, a warning will only be given after multiple infractions of this rule.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Tart »

Ok well you guys should try to get this better established... When i say anything about the truth of Christianity, to me it is implied that this is an open debate... And then someone comes along and says its preaching... I am here on a debating website...

The post above is kind of just different wording, the same things, just with more couscous wording, seems like petty differences to me...
Preaching:
The Bible says God is real, therefore He is real. Believe and be saved!

Not preaching:
The Bible claims God is real on page X. If one believes in all tales of the Bible, then one believes this as well.
I mean without the "therefor" and its conclusions... This is just based on wording...

I mean isnt it implied that not everyone believes it to be true? and we are here on a debating site?

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Tart »

I mean, i wanted to discuss and debate about this... And it gets moved to ramblings... and called preaching... This rule should be better thought out... That is just my suggestion... There has got to be a better way..

viewtopic.php?t=34023

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by ttruscott »

If I got hru this and am still able to conform to the rules yet express my intent, I bet you can too.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Tart »

All im saying is that, with everything i say, i expect there to be debate.. I DONT expect everyone to agree, but thats just how i communicate...

Like if i said "Jesus fulfilled the prophecies, and is the proof of God", and maybe give some Bible verses... Thats just how i talk, and this conversation wouldbe open to debate..

So whats wrong with that?

otseng
Savant

Post #8

Post by otseng »

[Replying to Tart]

As dianaiad pointed out, the OP has no debate question.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Tart »

otseng wrote: [Replying to Tart]

As dianaiad pointed out, the OP has no debate question.
Funny you say that, becuase me and multiple atheists are debating about the OP right now, and the challenge I stated... (id personally like it moved back)

So this is based on just a petty wording issue?... or soemthing?

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Tart »

I mean becuase I can certainly try to be more aware of my wording... But it is just a petty wording issue... Right?