What is your favourite movie?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

What is your favourite movie?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Nominate your favourite movie and lets look to see what Christian themes are in it.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: What is your favourite movie?

Post #2

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

The Shawshank Redemption's theme is a kind of salvation, but it's an earthly, personal salvation that is fulfilled in this one and only life we have.

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 2 by Jagella]

I thought this video has a good Christian take on that movie.

nb: The link contains swearing from the movie.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Jagella »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Jagella]

I thought this video has a good Christian take on that movie.

nb: The link contains swearing from the movie.
Thanks for the video link. One of the key differences between "Shawshank Redemption" and Christian redemption is that the former is based on a person's innocence, ingenuity, hard work, and a desire to be free of brutal and unjust despotism. Christian redemption, on the other hand, is understood as a free gift granted to any wretch who is willing to bow down and blindly obey the despot. Steven King probably had this contrast in mind when he wrote The Shawshank Redemption. King was not known for admiring Christian beliefs.

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Post #5

Post by For_The_Kingdom »

Wootah wrote: Nominate your favourite movie and lets look to see what Christian themes are in it.
John Wick / The Equalizer are my two favorite movies..I can't say much for John Wick and Christian themes..but The Equalizer, however...is..

God gives us a chance to do the right thing, make the right choices...when we choose to do the wrong thing, we are punished.

In The Equalizer, Robert McCall gives the bad guys an opportunity to do the right thing..make the right choice. The bad guys made their choices, and Robert McCall had to spank them.

Robert McCall: "The men I killed, your men...I gave them a chance....[and] they made their decision....and I'm giving you the opportunity to make yours" *writes down his contact information* You let me know..when you decide.."

Classic lines..classic movie. Can't wait for 2 to come out later this month.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by PinSeeker »

The first Matrix movie was a good one.

Neo (new, as in a new creation) is the main character (Keanu Reeves)

Morpheous (agent of change), Trinity, Cypher (decipher), and Oracle all play "Holy Spirit"-type characters

Some great quotes:

Trinity: "Wake up, Neo."

Trinity: "Knock, knock, Neo."

Morpheous: "Welcome to the real world."

Morpheous: “The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else you were born into bondage. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch. A prison for your mind.�

Morpheous: "Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

Morpheus: “What is real? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.�

Morpheus: “I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.�

Trinity: "I know why you're here, Neo. I know what you've been doing. I know why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit at your computer. You're looking for him. I know, because I was once looking for the same thing. And when he found me, he told me I wasn't really looking for him. I was looking for an answer. It's the question that drives us, Neo. It's the question that brought you here. You know the question, just as I did."

Morpheus: “You have to let it all go, Neo. Fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free your mind.�

Morpheus: “The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.�

Cypher: "...there's way too much information to decode the Matrix. You get used to it, though. Your brain does the translating. I don't even see the code. All I see is blonde, brunette, and redhead. Hey uh, you want a drink?"

Morpheus: “There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.�

jgh7

Post #7

Post by jgh7 »

Favorite Cartoons: The Prince of Egypt & Ferngully
Favorite Comedy: Dumb and Dumber
Favorite Action: Avatar