Who wrote the Gospel we call "John's"?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Who wrote the Gospel we call "John's"?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

This seems like a question the answer to which is self-evident.

Not really. Was the gospel signed or does it state John wrote this gospel?

If not, how is it determined to have been written by John? ;)

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Who wrote the Gospel we call "John's"?

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

polonius.advice wrote: This seems like a question the answer to which is self-evident.

Great question. Traditionally it was ascribed to John the apostle, but scholars doubt that the rough, Aramaic speaking Gallilean fisherman could have composed so eloquently in Greek.

If it was not the actual apostle "whom Jesus loved" would the Evangelical community still give it so much weight and authority? Should they?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

steveb1
Scholar

Post #3

Post by steveb1 »

[Replying to post 1 by polonius.advice]

The late Hugh J. Schonfield, author of The Passover Plot, The Jesus Party, Those Incredible Christians, The Essene Odyssey, After the Cross and other titles, suggested that the Gospel of John was authored by a young priest (the Beloved Disciple?), who had access to the High Priest's household, as John reports in his Passion Narrative.

Schonfield harshly contrasted this saintly Jewish priest with a later redactor whom, Schonfield claimed, had dumped a foreign, blasphemous "Jesus is God" christology over the lower, previous layers of the priest's book. The result was the Gospel of John as we know it - a hodgepodge of "genuine, early, Jewish" Jesus-and-his-times data with an unfortunate overlay of anti Jewish, dangerous/blasphemous proto-Trinitarian propaganda.

This seems to make a little bit of sense - on the principle that the priest could have supplied the very accurate topographical and urban detail that is present in John's Gospel, with the conniving, wicked Heretic commandeering the original "gospel" and imposing his "Jesus is God" christology on the prior "priestly" document.

tam
Savant

Post #4

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
polonius.advice wrote: This seems like a question the answer to which is self-evident.

It is the testimony written by the "disciple Christ loved" (stated at John 21:24).

This disciple is one of the Twelve, since it is clearly pointed out that he was present at the last supper, and that he is the one who asked Christ which disciple was going to betray Him.

Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them, the one who also had leaned back against him during the supper and had said, “Lord, who is it that is going to betray you?�

This does not make him the apostle John. That is just tradition. But this does make Him one of the Twelve and an eyewitness. He is someone most people do not even realize is one of the Twelve. (because like Peter, he was also called by another name)

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

bluethread
Savant

Post #5

Post by bluethread »

If it was not actually written by Yochannan(John), it was written in his time. Before Ignatius died in 107CE, he wrote a Letter to the Philippians, which builds on Jn. 3:8, 10:7-9 and 14:6. Also, Polycarp (80-167CE) and Justin Martyr (100-165CE) quote Yochannan's letters.

101G
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by 101G »

It's not as to who actually hand wrote an epistle, but the main question is the source. for example Paul didn't hand write all of his epistles, unless he stated that he did. example in the book of Romans. Romans 16:22 "I Tertius, who wrote this epistle, salute you in the Lord".

Tertius hand wrote Romans but its source was the Apostle Paul.

Just as the Evangelist and doctor Luke correlate with good sources.

who actually wrote a gospel or an epistle dose not concern me. if it do not contradict the word of God in any way, makes no difference to me. THERE ARE MANY WRITING THAT ARE SO-CALLED WRITING OF GOD, and they contradicted other written words of God, just simply reject them

so who wrote the gospel called John? if it was John himself or a secretary, or an other unknown disciple, or a ghost writer. if it don't contradict the word of God in both the OT and NT writing, its not a CONCERN TO ME.

Peace in Christ Yeshua, Jesus.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #7

Post by brianbbs67 »

tam wrote: Peace to you,

It is the testimony written by the "disciple Christ loved" (stated at John 21:24).

This disciple is one of the Twelve, since it is clearly pointed out that he was present at the last supper, and that he is the one who asked Christ which disciple was going to betray Him.

Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them, the one who also had leaned back against him during the supper and had said, “Lord, who is it that is going to betray you?�

This does not make him the apostle John. That is just tradition. But this does make Him one of the Twelve and an eyewitness. He is someone most people do not even realize is one of the Twelve. (because like Peter, he was also called by another name)

Peace to you,
tammy
I must hear this answer, who are you saying it was? Barnabas?

tam
Savant

Post #8

Post by tam »

[Replying to post 7 by brianbbs67]

Peace to you Brian!
I apologize for 'building that up'. No, it is not Barnabas. Barnabas was a travel companion of Paul, was he not? As far as I know, Paul did not commonly travel with one of the Twelve.

I first learned who wrote the book of "John" from another dear one who shared what she had learned. But not too long ago, my Lord HIMSELF confirmed this truth to me.

The disciple Christ loved is identified (as my Lord showed me) at John 11:3.

So the sisters sent word to Him, “Lord, the one You love is sick.�

(edited the rest out for now)

May anyone who wishes them be given ears to hear so as to be able to hear the truth of this (or any) matter from the one who is THE Truth: Christ Jaheshua.

Peace again to you,
tammy

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #9

Post by brianbbs67 »

tam wrote: [Replying to post 7 by brianbbs67]

Peace to you Brian!
I apologize for 'building that up'. No, it is not Barnabas. Barnabas was a travel companion of Paul, was he not? As far as I know, Paul did not commonly travel with one of the Twelve.

I first learned who wrote the book of "John" from another dear one who shared what she had learned. But not too long ago, my Lord HIMSELF confirmed this truth to me.

The disciple Christ loved is identified (as my Lord showed me) at John 11:3.

So the sisters sent word to Him, “Lord, the one You love is sick.�

(edited the rest out for now)

May anyone who wishes them be given ears to hear so as to be able to hear the truth of this (or any) matter from the one who is THE Truth: Christ Jaheshua.

Peace again to you,
tammy
So, Lazarus? I presume.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by polonius »

tam wrote: Peace to you,

Peace to you,
tammy
RESPONSE: How many people were at the Last supper? Were there only "The Twelve." Or did some women do the cooking and serving?
:-s