Did Jesus really turn water into wine

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

WPG12
Student

Did Jesus really turn water into wine

Post #1

Post by WPG12 »

I do think he did, but it isn't something I would argue over, because I wasn't there I read it in a book. But, I also believe it shows something more, I think Jesus, by turning water into wine at the beginning of his ministry was showing what he would do through his ministry, in pouring water into those vessels, then putting that Spirit in it. I think it's also pretty significant that it happened at a wedding, where a woman takes the name of her husband, much like Christian's call themselves by his name, though most do it to no avail.

polonius
Prodigy

Approval of consumption of alcoholic drinks!

Post #2

Post by polonius »

New American Bible – Gospel of John, chapter 2

“When the wine ran short, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They have no wine.�4* [And] Jesus said to her, “Woman, how does your concern affect me? My hour has not yet come.�b5His mother said to the servers, “Do whatever he tells you.�c6* Now there were six stone water jars there for Jewish ceremonial washings,each holding twenty to thirty gallons.7Jesus told them, “Fill the jars with water.� So they filled them to the brim.8Then he told them, “Draw some out now and take it to the headwaiter.�* So they took it.9And when the headwaiter tasted the water that had become wine, without knowing where it came from (although the servers who had drawn the water knew), the headwaiter called the bridegroom10and said to him, “Everyone serves good wine first, and then when people have drunk freely, an inferior one; but you have kept the good wine until now.�

Footnote: [2:6] Twenty to thirty gallons: literally, “two or three measures�; the Attic liquid measure contained 39.39 liters.

So, Jesus made 120 to 180 gallons of wine. He certainly supported some heave drinking so fundamentalist religions that forbid the consumption of alcohol are certainly non-biblical! ;)

WPG12
Student

Re: Approval of consumption of alcoholic drinks!

Post #3

Post by WPG12 »

[Replying to post 2 by polonius.advice]

Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth. Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.
Titus 1:14‭-‬16 KJV

No doubt, they'd probably beat my still into a copper pancake

marco
Savant

Re: Did Jesus really turn water into wine

Post #4

Post by marco »

WPG12 wrote: I do think he did, but it isn't something I would argue over, because I wasn't there I read it in a book. But, I also believe it shows something more, I think Jesus, by turning water into wine at the beginning of his ministry was showing what he would do through his ministry, in pouring water into those vessels, then putting that Spirit in it. I think it's also pretty significant that it happened at a wedding, where a woman takes the name of her husband, much like Christian's call themselves by his name, though most do it to no avail.

This is a good example of the snowball effect of believing something. Jesus added a powder to the water and it tasted nice; Jesus miraculously changed water to wine; Jesus changed a corpse into a living person.... and water becoming wine indicates the ordinary becoming extraordinary. Jesus was at a wedding at this first reported miracle and the wedding itself can be made significant.... in so many snowballing ways. Eventually Jesus becomes a god.

Best go back and accept the water stayed water. The reporters exaggerated - as reporters do.

WPG12
Student

Post #5

Post by WPG12 »

[Replying to marco]

So because you don't see anything in it, no one else can either?

That's like saying turtles and rabbits cannot run races, so there is nothing to it.

marco
Savant

Post #6

Post by marco »

WPG12 wrote: [Replying to marco]

That's like saying turtles and rabbits cannot run races, so there is nothing to it.

My blindness does not disqualify others from being sighted. I speak through my own convictions and I do not need to quote Scripture to explain my viewpoint nor indeed agree with Scripture in the hope of post mortem salvation.

Turtles and rabbits do not run races; in fables, tortoises and hares do, and we can extract a meaning from such tales. When we are told Jesus converted water to wine we are not, I believe, in the same category of story telling as tortoises and hares; we are being asked to believe a human being performed a miracle, and we are being asked to believe this by writers who lived in a world where the gods of the great conquerors lived on Olympus or indeed in Rome. We are still gullible today, but then man has walked on the moon and we know Selene does not live there any longer. Such is progress.

Jesus did not turn water into wine, unless in a figurative sense.

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

marco wrote:
WPG12 wrote: [Replying to marco]

My blindness does not disqualify others from being sighted. I speak through my own convictions and I do not need to quote Scripture to explain my viewpoint nor indeed agree with Scripture in the hope of post mortem salvation.

Turtles and rabbits do not run races; in fables, tortoises and hares do, and we can extract a meaning from such tales. When we are told Jesus converted water to wine we are not, I believe, in the same category of story telling as tortoises and hares; we are being asked to believe a human being performed a miracle, and we are being asked to believe this by writers who lived in a world where the gods of the great conquerors lived on Olympus or indeed in Rome. We are still gullible today, but then man has walked on the moon and we know Selene does not live there any longer. Such is progress.

Jesus did not turn water into wine, unless in a figurative sense.
So your opinion is that the story happened but Jesus used a trick or do you think the story was fabricated?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

WPG12
Student

Post #8

Post by WPG12 »

[Replying to Wootah]

Like I said, it's not something I would argue, I honestly don't care. It's the deeper things all of scripture shows, that I care about

Monta
Guru

Post #9

Post by Monta »

WPG12 wrote: [Replying to Wootah]

Like I said, it's not something I would argue
Neither would I.

Those who are seeking truth will find it

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by WPG12]

Yes, Jesus did indeed turn water into literal (alcoholic) wine. It was his first reported miracle.

JW

RELATED POSTS

Are miracles extraordinary claims that require extraordinary evidence?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 870#330870

Why did Jesus perform miracles?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 941#920941

How " probable" are miracles?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 837#880837
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8