Moderator: Moderators

rikuoamero
Under Probation

A Fic to read

Post #1

Post by rikuoamero »

Last night I read through this fanfiction, about 80,000 words long

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10360716/1 ... olitan-Man

It's a Superman fic, placed in the 1930s, and told mainly from Lex Luthor's point of view (with some scenes from Lois Lane's and a few from Supes), with Superman just emerging to fight crime and do good.

It's all about how Lex Luther (correctly from my point of view) recognizes the threat that Supes is: he watches all, hears all, has super strength etc. There's even a scene late in the work where Lois realizes (shortly after realizing who Clark Kent is) that one time she noticed Clark to have been upset was the morning after she had taken a man home for the night, and that Clark, being Superman, would have seen and heard the, ahem, 'activities'.
I won't say much more right now, gotta get back to work, but it did generate some thoughts in my mind, on what I and Lex are similar in mind: that even if someone does good and nothing but good, we would be suspicious, afraid. Lex deduces who Supe's alter-ego is, and thinks that during the time he's walking around as Clark Kent, he's not flying around solving crime or rescuing people from disasters.
Even a being with (close to if not) omniscient powers like Supes can't constantly be doing good, and on his down time, he feels nothing but guilt.

Highly recommend it.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #2

Post by rikuoamero »

Some thoughts on what happen in the fic. The story takes place during several months. Supes is flying around, stopping crime, saving people from disasters.
During this time, the activities of the common people change, to reflect the reality that is Superman. Supes opines at one point that with him now saving people from house fires, that people instead of running downstairs to escape the blaze, now run to the roof and hope he'll pick them up and save them.
Criminals learn that Superman can hear bullets and react to them, even if he's far away: so fire-arms are more or less abandoned and melee combat, especially with knifes, is on the rise.
What struck me about all this is that in this universe, Superman is a real thing, and as a consequence, people change their behaviours in noticeable ways. Arguments are made for the slashing of fire department/police budgets. All this stands to testify to the existence of a super-man, with superpowers.
Compare this to Jesus, and what he was supposed to have done. Let's take the one or two times he conjured food to feed the crowds. Surely if this had happened, if it became known that Jesus is able to conjure food, the common people would have reacted to this. Talk would have spread, of no longer having to hunt or farm. You could just walk up to Jesus and get a loaf of bread & a fish. If Jesus is wandering the area for about 3 years, dispensing miracles, such a thing would have altered the behavior of everyone else.
Instead, I don't see that. I see disciples praising their teacher, sure, and spreading these stories, but where do we see people actually living like they have access to conjured food (or other miracles)?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense