Bible vs History

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Bible vs History

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Noah was supposed to live around 4000 years ago, and his flood.

Which means that the entire population of the globe should have begun repopulating about then.
Why is there no evidence of this?

I mean we have great historic not only evidence, but histories of peoples living before, during and after the flood. Even the Americas.

And though dramatic, this is true of other Biblical events. We have the Sumerians positively ignoring Biblical events as if they didn't occur. The Egyptians not seeming to notice plagues and genocide and so on.

One could go through and notice all manner of things that didn't happen from the Bible, Sodom and Gomorrah, and so on. We can even get good dates for when these things were supposed to occur, by how long people lived for these occurrences.

We can also note that these stories did occur in other people's fairy tales.

How do we rectify these three elements - no one noticed these epic events, the dates they failed to occur and they are other people's fairy tales, together with the truth?

Willum
Savant

Re: Bible vs History

Post #21

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 20 by 1213]

OK, so lets assume the Bible Flood was true.
We would see the populations of the Earth thriving in all corners of the world.

Then the flood hits and removes every one from the four corners of the Earth.
Archeology would show us this.

Then it would also show Noah and his three sons and daughter repopulating the Earth from centers.

Yet, we have no EVIDENCE of this, in fact we see nothing like this in any literature, not even Hebrew.

Can you explain that?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #22

Post by rikuoamero »

Wootah wrote: I'm finding the evidence from Chinese characters interesting.

https://creation.com/cmi-misrepresents- ... e-language

Check out the character for vessel.
Why do you cite those who promise to mislead and/or omit data that contradicts their pre-determined beliefs?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Tcg
Savant

Post #23

Post by Tcg »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 14 by Wootah]

Now where did I get the idea Noah had four sons? Jeeze that makes the inbreeding ugh much worse.
Anyway, point to you.
I wouldn't be too fast to accept eight as the number. Here is part of the passage given to support that claim:

"...together with his wife and the wives of his three sons, entered the ark."

This assumes that each son had only one wife. We know from other characters in the Bible that this wasn't always the case.

If they each had two wives, that'd be eleven human passengers.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by polonius »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 20 by 1213]

OK, so lets assume the Bible Flood was true.

Then it would also show Noah and his three sons and daughter repopulating the Earth from centers.

Yet, we have no EVIDENCE of this, in fact we see nothing like this in any literature, not even Hebrew.

Can you explain that?
RESPONSE: Actually we do. It's called the Legend of Gilgamesh. It's many of thousands or years older then the Bible' flood story was probably copied from it.

Since there are two sets of cruciform writings of the story on stone tablets at different locations., the claim that somebody changed it is not credible.

It's on the web.

Willum
Savant

Post #25

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 24 by polonius]

Hi, the preceding was about the flood reducing the population from people in all four corners of the globe at pre-flood levels, to zero plus Noah & sons. Then re population.

If the flood were were true, this would be found from archeology.
It is not.

Nor is that from Gilgamesh.

Savant

Post #26

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: OK, so lets assume the Bible Flood was true.
Actually, if we assume Bible is correct, before the flood, there was just one continent that collapsed resulting flood. But I don’t really see reason to think people were thriving in all corners of that first continent.

Evidence for the collapsed earth (= dry land) is the edges of continents, orogenic mountains, vast sediment formations. Evidence for death organic material is the oil and gas fields and for example marine fossils on high mountains.

Interesting things is, it was said, all on surface of earth, which means in the Bible dry land, will die. Now, it may be that some were in caves below the surface of dry land. Some native Americans seem to have stories how their ancestors came from caves. Perhaps they were saved in caves and not all people died in the flood.
Willum wrote:Then it would also show Noah and his three sons and daughter repopulating the Earth from centers.
Current scientific idea seems to be that humans have come from single origin. It is also said there has been “genetic bottleneck�, which could be because of the great flood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_bottleneck
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recent_Af ... ern_humans
Willum wrote:Yet, we have no EVIDENCE of this, in fact we see nothing like this in any literature, not even Hebrew.
So, is the Old Testament not Hebrew history?

brunumb
Savant

Post #27

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 26 by 1213]
Actually, if we assume Bible is correct, before the flood, there was just one continent that collapsed resulting flood.
How does the assumption that the Bible is correct establish that there was just one continent at the time? Please explain how a continent is able to collapse.

Willum
Savant

Post #28

Post by Willum »

RE: 1. Cultures and animals all over the world. 2. Extermination via flood 3. Repopulation. 4. This process discovered by archeology and anthropology.

OK, the continents took, and indeed take millions of years to move, but whatever. Just another fairy-tale some people believe.

We have the Native American cultures that did not grow at the Noah-described times. We have no destruction via Flood of Egypt, or China, or etc.. or repopulation.
We find no population growth of animals. Indeed we find migration paths that have been established over centuries, we find niche ecosystems that could not have arisen according to either Biblical or flood myth, and so on.

So that is just one example.

We also have Exodus that has been shown to be false. Wars reversed in outcome, and so on.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #29

Post by rikuoamero »

Evidence for death organic material is the oil and gas fields and for example marine fossils on high mountains.
Here's a challenge for you, 1213. Find me a SINGLE company, based on oil or gas, that is for profit (and thus not ideologically bound) that employs a single creationist who themselves use their creationist beliefs to find oil/gas, instead of old earth science...oh and has struck the black gold.
Where are these successes from the real world that are based on Noah's flood?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Willum
Savant

Post #30

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 29 by rikuoamero]

Well, there you would lose, riku.
It is well recorded in the Bible that Moses stumbled around and around the oil-lands, for forty years.
God had reserved the oil-lands for the Arabs to make up for Jacob stealing Esau's birthright.

For everything stolen must be returned sevenfold.

The oil-lands are a down-payment on the stolen kingdom of God.