No Chick-fil-A

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

bjs
Prodigy

No Chick-fil-A

Post #1

Post by bjs »

"Popular fast food chain Chick-fil-A has reportedly been barred from opening a new location in the San Antonio, Texas, airport.

The San Antonio City Council on Thursday voted 6-4 to pass a new concessions agreement that excludes Chick-fil-A, citing the company’s anti-LGBTQ donations and history."

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... anti-lbgtq

Personally, I am horrified by this. If you don't like what a restaurant chain does then don't eat there. When a government official uses his power to prevent a restaurant from opening then that goes of against fundamental American values of neutrality and the separation of church and state.

For debate: Is banning Chick-fil-A because of the company’s anti-LGBTQ donations and history and acceptable practice?
Last edited by bjs on Sat May 11, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tcg
Savant

Re: No Chick-fil-A

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

bjs wrote:
When a government official uses his power to an a restaurant from opening then that goes of against fundamental American values of neutrality and the separation of church and state.

When did Chick-fil-A become a church? Last I knew it was a chicken joint.

Any business that encourages mindless prejudice and hate deserves to suffer the consequences. It's a small step, but a good one. Hopefully the message will be heard that hate is not an American value.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

More good news.

It's encouraging to see that some Christians are also rejecting discriminatory hate.
  • "The student government of Trinity University, a private liberal arts college in Texas affiliated with the Presbyterian Church, has voted unanimously to ban food from fast-food restaurant chain Chick-fil-A for their record on LGBT issues."

"In a resolution adopted May 1, the student government association of the college cited Chick-fil-A’s donations to the Salvation Army, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the Paul Anderson Youth Home, as well as its score of zero on the Washington-based Human Rights Campaign’s 2015 Corporate Equality Index “for failing to protect their LGBT+ employees from discrimination in the workplace.�"

https://www.christianpost.com/news/stud ... ecord.html
Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

bjs
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by bjs »

[Replying to Tcg]

But are you okay with those consequences coming from the government? If private citizens reject a business that is one thing. If a government official, using his power as a government officials, acts against a business that is something different.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

The good news continues.

Chick-fil-A is banned from another airport. Hopefully, Chic-fil-A will get the message and discontinue it's Un-american promotion of discriminatory hate.
  • "One week after getting banned at a Texas airport, Chick-fil-A has now been blocked from placing its chicken restaurant in the Buffalo Niagara International Airport.

While the fast-food chicken restaurant had already been approved by the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority (NFTA) and hospitality management company Delaware North, a local assemblyman did his part to stop any future plans.

New York Assemblyman Sean Ryan slammed the NFTA on Twitter, saying it was “disappointing� the airport would allow a restaurant that “has a long history of supporting and funding anti-LGBTQ organizations.�"

https://www.newsweek.com/chick-fil-now- ... rt-1380953

Elijah John
Savant

Post #6

Post by Elijah John »

bjs wrote: "Popular fast food chain Chick-fil-A has reportedly been barred from opening a new location in the San Antonio, Texas, airport.

The San Antonio City Council on Thursday voted 6-4 to pass a new concessions agreement that excludes Chick-fil-A, citing the company’s anti-LGBTQ donations and history."

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... anti-lbgtq

Personally, I am horrified by this. If you don't like what a restaurant chain does then don't eat there. When a government official uses his power to prevent a restaurant from opening then that goes of against fundamental American values of neutrality and the separation of church and state.

For debate: Is banning Chick-fil-A because of the company’s anti-LGBTQ donations and history and acceptable practice?
I wonder just what they mean when they say "anti" LGBTQ? Does supporting traditional values now mean something bad? Or evil? Or "anti" anybody?

To the best of my knowledge, Chic-Fil-A" does not refuse service, nor do they discriminate in hiring based on anyone's identity or preferences.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #7

Post by Elijah John »

Tcg wrote:
bjs wrote:
When a government official uses his power to an a restaurant from opening then that goes of against fundamental American values of neutrality and the separation of church and state.

Any business that encourages mindless prejudice and hate deserves to suffer the consequences. It's a small step, but a good one. Hopefully the message will be heard that hate is not an American value.

Tcg
Quite a charge and accusation. Please provide evidence and back it up. Prove it.

As far as I can see, you are simply repeating mindless charges, and mantras of the Left.

-YHVH is LORD

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

Elijah John wrote:
Tcg wrote:
bjs wrote:

Tcg
Quite a charge and accusation. Please provide evidence and back it up. Prove it.

As far as I can see, you are simply repeating mindless charges, and mantras of the Left.

You want me to prove that hate is not an American value? What evidence would you accept that hate is not an American Value?

Or are you asking me to prove that Chick-fil-A is not a church? Is it a leftist mantra to state the fact that Chick-fil-A is a chicken joint?

If you are asking for evidence that Chick-fil-A encourages mindless prejudice and hate, please refer to post 3, perhaps you overlooked it.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Elijah John
Savant

Post #9

Post by Elijah John »

Tcg wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
Tcg wrote:
bjs wrote:

Tcg

You want me to prove that hate is not an American value? What evidence would you accept that hate is not an American Value?

Or are you asking me to prove that Chick-fil-A is not a church? Is it a leftist mantra to state the fact that Chick-fil-A is a chicken joint?

If you are asking for evidence that Chick-fil-A encourages mindless prejudice and hate, please refer to post 3, perhaps you overlooked it.

Tcg
No, I agree that "hate" is not an American value, but the charge of "hate" is leveled way too loosely by the Left against people they disagree with. "You don't agree with me? That's because you are a hater", is one of the mantras of the Left.

I am not addressing he issue of whether Chick-Fil-A is a Church, I never said it was and don't see any relevance to that assertion.

Is supporting traditional values "hate" now in this day and age? How so?

If a person does not accept the newest, most fashionable agenda of the Left, are they too, "haters"? Or if a person does not use the lingo of the Left (LBTQIA+, etc, etc), is that "hate" too? If a person uses terms that reflect biological reality, and centuries of tradition, (across cultural and religious lines, for that matter) is that now considered "hate"? If a person or a group says anything that contradicts the assumptions of the Left, or anything that is taught in the latest college gender studies course, is that "hate"?

Again, the restaurant chain does not discriminate in hiring or in service, so how are they "haters"?

Evidence against CFA in post #3? Is that all you got?. So the FCA and the Salvation Army are "haters" of homosexuals etc. in the minds of the Left? Or because college students say so and vote against CFA?? Really?

-YHVH is LORD

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #10

Post by Bust Nak »

Elijah John wrote: No, I agree that "hate" is not an American value, but the charge of "hate" is leveled way too loosely by the Left against people they disagree with. "You don't agree with me? That's because you are a hater", is one of the mantras of the Left.
Way to reduce the actual grievances against Chick-Fil-A as a mere disagreement.
Is supporting traditional values "hate" now in this day and age? How so?
Yep, the "traditional values" in question is hateful because it discriminate against same sex couples.
If a person does not accept the newest, most fashionable agenda of the Left, are they too, "haters"?
Depends on how they act.
Or if a person does not use the lingo of the Left (LBTQIA+, etc, etc), is that "hate" too?
Depends on the specific lingo they do use.
If a person uses terms that reflect biological reality, and centuries of tradition, (across cultural and religious lines, for that matter) is that now considered "hate"?
In this day and age, yes. That includes the phrase "reflect biological reality," just so you know not to use that phrase again in this particular context.
If a person or a group says anything that contradicts the assumptions of the Left, or anything that is taught in the latest college gender studies course, is that "hate"?
No.
Again, the restaurant chain does not discriminate in hiring or in service, so how are they "haters"?
By discriminating in other ways, funding anti-LGBT groups is particularly hateful.
Evidence against CFA in post #3? Is that all you got?. So the FCA and the Salvation Army are "haters" of homosexuals etc. in the minds of the Left?
Depends if by "the Left," you include all those who supports equality. I understand there are people who identify as "the Right" who still support the LGBT community.