Is your sin "Original"?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Is your sin "Original"?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

Another bible fiction which became rather pervasive in Christianity is the claim of the "stain" of Original Sin (the first sin of Adam) of which we all bear the guilt even though we were born thousand of years after it was committed.

Because we all have this "stain," a "merciful God"(?) damns the unbaptized to spend eternity suffering in hell even infants who die. Or so the story goes.

Later on it was agreed that this was rather harsh, so the unbaptized not guilty of any serious sin were consigned to 'Limbo" a state of "natural happiness" in which, however, the person is denied the beatific vision of God which was important for some reason.

Many Catholics and Protestants haven't kept up so don't realize that Pope Francis abolished it obviously because it was realized that it was a fiction.

However, the full effect of this hasn't been felt yet. The Catholic Church's "doctrine" of Mary's Immaculate Conception is also void if there is no Original Sin to begin with. ;)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Is your sin "Original"?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by polonius]

Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in hell, purgatory, limbo or the immaculate conception of Mary (the mother of Jesus), none of these things are bible teachings.

The bible does however speak of all becoming sinners because of Adam (see Romans 5:12).

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ttruscott »

JehovahsWitness wrote: The bible does however speak of all becoming sinners because of Adam (see Romans 5:12).
Rom 5:12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned—

I disagree.

It is just as easily understood to be telling us that DEATH spread to all men because all men were sinners already... there is no causative necessity between his death spreading to us as the CAUSE for our sin...iow, this verse does NOT deny the possibility that we chose to be sinners by our own free will in the spirit realm pre-earth.

The only reason to accept inherited sin in this verse is the theological pre-assumption that we had no life pre-earth to sin by free will so to be born sinful we must have been created as evil in Adam's genetics.

I know you probably have a thousand essays and nice pictures to deny my belief but I cannot accept that it is loving nor righteously just to create evil or to create evil people by making them human in Adam's line...GOD's love cannot create evil. Light cannot create dark.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

ttruscott wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: The bible does however speak of all becoming sinners because of Adam (see Romans 5:12).
Rom 5:12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned—

I disagree.

It is just as easily understood to be telling us that DEATH spread to all men because all men were sinners already...

Except the word "already" isn't in the scripture.

ADAM -> SIN [ to the world ] -> SIN -> DEATH
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

historia
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by historia »

polonius wrote:
Many Catholics and Protestants haven't kept up so don't realize that Pope Francis abolished it obviously because it was realized that it was a fiction.
Your argument here is unclear. What is "it" that Pope Francis has abolished?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #6

Post by onewithhim »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by polonius]

Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in hell, purgatory, limbo or the immaculate conception of Mary (the mother of Jesus), none of these things are bible teachings.

The bible does however speak of all becoming sinners because of Adam (see Romans 5:12).

JW
Yes, this is what the Bible teaches, and if we throw that out why not just throw out the entire Bible? Some folks here are frequently calling into question the validity of things said there.

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Peds nurse »

[Replying to post 2 by JehovahsWitness]

The immaculate conception of Mary had me for a minute, as I thought it was in the Gospels.....but I looked it up, and I agree, it is not Biblical. I'm not familiar with Catholic theologies...forgive me.
Last edited by Peds nurse on Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Peds nurse »

I believe in original sin. When Adam and Eve ate of the fruit, sin entered the world through them. It is theit original sin that is the downfall of man, and which continues generation after generation.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #9

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 8 by Peds nurse]

I agree.

To reiterate....When Adam and Eve began to die, as God told them they would, their perfection was gone and because they could not pass perfect DNA on to their children, their children inherited imperfection and death. Totally not their children's fault. That is why God made the way out by having Jesus come and sacrifice his perfect human life so that the scales of justice could be evened off---a perfect man (Adam, who caused the death of many) balanced against another perfect man (Jesus, who has provided the way for many to attain to everlasting life). Jesus' sacrifice covered over the results of the rebellion of the first man.

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

onewithhim wrote:
To reiterate....When Adam and Eve began to die, as God told them they would, their perfection was gone and because they could not pass perfect DNA on to their children, their children inherited imperfection and death.

Please provide a reference to scripture that mentions DNA. A connection with any mention of a perfect DNA would be a bonus.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom