According to the tales, Jesus gave up a weekend.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

According to the tales, Jesus gave up a weekend.

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

According to the tales, Jesus gave up a weekend. What’s the big deal?

What is the ‘sacrifice’ in a supposedly eternal being giving up a weekend being ‘dead’?

An 'omnipotent god' (or part thereof, or whatever is claimed) would presumably know that the 'death' was extremely temporary -- just a few hours (less than 48 according to the tale).
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: According to the tales, Jesus gave up a weekend.

Post #2

Post by ttruscott »

Zzyzx wrote: .

What is the ‘sacrifice’ in a supposedly eternal being giving up a weekend being ‘dead’?

An 'omnipotent god' (or part thereof, or whatever is claimed) would presumably know that the 'death' was extremely temporary -- just a few hours (less than 48 according to the tale).
All earthly death is temporary...so what? It is only what is called eternal death that is not temporary. He came only to taste of death, not live in eternal death, Heb 2:9 ...now crowned with glory and honor because He suffered death, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for all.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

marco
Savant

Post #3

Post by marco »

ttruscott wrote:

All earthly death is temporary...so what? It is only what is called eternal death that is not temporary. He came only to taste of death, not live in eternal death, Heb 2:9 ...now crowned with glory and honor because He suffered death, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for all.

You've not answered the point being made. What was great about some divinity leaving off his mortal coil for a day or two, then returning to drink nectar? It signified nothing.

As for "destroying death", humans before him died and after him continued to die. Not an iota was changed by Christ's drama. All the greatness and noise and happy Christmases happened years after Jesus had gone, and it was man made.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

ttruscott wrote:
All earthly death is temporary...so what?

That's a rather bold claim. How could one go about supporting such a claim and how could the soundness of the support be tested?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

I remember when I was a Christian and Good Friday would roll around. I knew I was supposed to feel bad for Jesus, but even as a Christian, it was pretty hard to. Easter was just two days away.

The claimed method of death would be very painful, but it was relatively short lived. I had a family member who suffered with Leukemia and the ravaging effects from chemotherapy, radiation, and other harsh treatments for 22 of her 26 years of life. 22 years versus what, 6 hours of pain and a long nap?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

SallyF
Guru

Post #6

Post by SallyF »

Precisely ….

This consideration is another clue that the supposed "sacrifice for the sins of the world" is a fraudulent cover-up story for a failed messiah.

A public military punishment is NOT a ritual religious human sacrifice to a deity by qualified personnel.

Redemption theology is a fabrication.

And it is now swept under the altar by many who still call themselves "Christian".
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #7

Post by OnceConvinced »

I've heard of people dying much more painful drawn out deaths than Jesus. People who have suffered way more. I like the jokes in Monty Python's Life of Bryan that make out crucifixion was nothing compared to other ways you could be killed. They were downplaying just how horrible it would be, but they made a valid point. There are worse ways to die.

Of course when it comes to answering your question, Z, we have to look at the various different beliefs when it ceoms to what the price is that Jesus paid. Was it just paying a ransom or was it taking our punishment for us?

If it's just a ransom, then no worries. He just paid a small price. A small bit of suffering and a few days death. But if he took our punishment then what was the punishment supposed to be?

Remaining dead?
Being resurrected termporarily and being killed again by fire? Thus going back to being dead.
Eternal suffering?

If our punishment is to remain dead then Jesus didn't take our punishment for us.
If our punishment is eternal suffering, Jesus definitely didn't take our punishment for that.

So it seems no matter what way you look at it, he didn't take a punishment for us.
That only leaves a ransom of some kind. Some kind of reparation maybe.

I'd say what Jesus suffered was more the equivalent of a 5 minute high school detention compared to say being expelled or caned.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Willum
Savant

Post #8

Post by Willum »

This simple topic generated some brilliant responses.
I imagine there are more than a few of us who have experienced pain akin to Jesus’. I’ve experienced surgery without anesthesia, and know there are worse things.
Torture is horrible, and unsettling numbers of people have experienced worse than crucification. It is horrible to think about, but Jesus sacrifice was a flash in the pan.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Zzyzx »

ttruscott wrote: All earthly death is temporary...
That is quite a claim of knowledge. How did you come into such knowledge? Is it from unverified tales in a book? From psychological 'experiences'?

What verifiable evidence supports the contention?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

sorrento
Student

Post #10

Post by sorrento »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

To be beaten and crucified is I am sure a horrible way to go to your death, but the Romans beat and crucified thousands of people who obviously experienced the same pain as Jesus reportedly experienced except, unlike Jesus, they stayed dead, so what was the sacrifice?
To me, a real sacrifice is the sacrifice made by many young men and women who died in the defense of their country. No one came to their family and said that their loved one had been killed in action, but not to worry, give it a couple of days and they will be back with you good as new. Theirs was a real sacrifice.
And anyway, I find the biblical human blood sacrifice story to be quite disgusting!