The Uncremated Jesus

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SallyF
Guru

The Uncremated Jesus

Post #1

Post by SallyF »

In Sunday school, I learned that Jesus came down to Earth from Heaven to die as a sacrifice for my sins.

St. Paul, drawing a parallel with the sacrifice made by Jesus, referred to Christ as the Paschal lamb (I Corinthians 5:7); hence, the Christian view of Christ as the spotless Lamb of God who by his death freed mankind from the bonds of sin. https://www.britannica.com/topic/Paschal-lamb

However - as Member A Voice recently opined - Christians seem to be clueless about the rules of Jewish sacrifice to their mythological Jehovah.

5Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: … 10And ye shall let nothing of it remain until the morning; and that which remaineth of it until the morning ye shall burn with fire. Exodus 12: 5-10

As we know, gods become exceedingly wrathful if human rituals are not followed TO THE LETTER and the magic/miracle can be withheld if it's not JUST RIGHT …!

Should the propagandists have written that the body of the possibly fictional Jesus character was cremated …?

It would have been proper, and made the "Resurrection" SOOOO much more spectacular …

And we may even have had an Urn of Turin to venerate.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Savant

Re: The Uncremated Jesus

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

SallyF wrote: In Sunday school, I learned that Jesus came down to Earth from Heaven to die as a sacrifice for my sins.....
It is interesting why they teach so, when Bible tells that the reason why Jesus came is this:

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, Because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim release to the captives, Recovering of sight to the blind, To deliver those who are crushed, And to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord."
Luke 4:18-19

He said to them, "Let's go elsewhere into the next towns, that I may preach there also, because for this reason I came forth."

Mark 1:38

But he said to them, "I must preach the good news of the Kingdom of God to the other cities also. For this reason I have been sent."

Luke 4:43

…For this reason I have been born, and for this reason I have come into the world, that I should testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice."
John 18:37

And the reason why he died:

For to this end Christ died, rose, and lived again, that he might be Lord of both the dead and the living.
Romans 14:9

It would be much easier for “Christians� (=disciples of Jesus), if they would remain in what the Jesus teaches.

SallyF
Guru

Post #3

Post by SallyF »

One of the initial fraudulences of Christianity - in my view - is the notion of the Jesus character voluntarily and magically appearing on this the planet of his creation, to deliberately make himself a human blood sacrifice to mollify his genocidal father, the mythological Middle East deity, Jehovah.

Jewish sacrifice requires duly authorised personnel.

Jewish sacrifice must be carried out in duly authorised locations.

Jewish sacrifice must follow duly authorised procedures.

None of these were fulfilled in the so-called "sacrifice" of the Jesus character.

Neither the "Annunciation" fantasy nor the donkey-parades mention a pre-planned sacrifice to Jehovah.

I posit the hypothesis - based on the above - that the notion of the "human sacrifice" is a fabrication to falsely explain and excuse the failure of the Jesus character as a "messiah" to his own people in his own time.

SallyF
Guru

Post #4

Post by SallyF »

This, I suggest, is the fraudulent political spin put on the failure of the Jesus character to reclaim the throne of David.

SallyF
Guru

Post #5

Post by SallyF »

THIS is how Jewish sacrifices are SUPPOSED to be performed.

THIS is NOT a Jewish sacrifice to mollify the Lord/Jehovah.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by ttruscott »

Jesus did NOT fulfill the burnt offering, but was the antitype for the Paschal lamb...

From: https://jewsforjudaism.org/knowledge/ar ... icus-1711/
ANOTHER LOOK AT LEVITICUS 17:11 wrote: Obviously, the shedding of blood by pricking my finger or killing my cat won't fulfill the Biblical requirements for atonement. The Torah delineates how sacrifices are to be brought.

Leviticus 17:11 "For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls..."

Clearly, not any spilled blood is accepted by the Torah as a sacrifice. Jesus' crucifixion may qualify as an atonement according to the Greek Testament, but since his blood was not offered on the altar, it is not in line with what the Torah mandates.

There are actually several other factors which would render the crucifixion of Jesus an unacceptable sacrifice. According to the Biblical rules in Leviticus, all sacrifices had to be offered by a Priest who descends from Aaron. This was not the case in the death of Jesus, who was crucified by Roman soldiers. Additionally, Biblical law prohibited any sacrifice which was blemished or maimed (Leviticus 22:19-21). However, prior to his crucifixion, Jesus was whipped and beaten (Matthew 27:26, Mark 15:19, John 19:3) which would render him unfit. Furthermore, Jesus was circumcised in the flesh, which according to Philippians 3:2 and Galatians 5:12 is considered mutilation.

The Gospel of John portrays Jesus as the Paschal lamb which was not supposed to have any of its bones broken (Exodus 12:46, Numbers 9:12).
John 19:33-36 "But coming to Jesus, when they saw that he was already dead, they did not break his legs...in order that the Scripture might be fulfilled: `Not a bone of him shall be broken.'"

His role was explicitly stated in: 1 Corinthians 5:7 Get rid of the old yeast, so that you may be a new unleavened batch--as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.

The word offering in Ephesians 5:2 is not restricted to the Levitical offerings but to any offering made to or accepted by GOD, legally required or not.

Your conclusion misses the mark as being based upon a false premise.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

SallyF
Guru

Post #7

Post by SallyF »

ttruscott wrote: Jesus did NOT fulfill the burnt offering, but was the antitype for the Paschal lamb...

From: https://jewsforjudaism.org/knowledge/ar ... icus-1711/
ANOTHER LOOK AT LEVITICUS 17:11 wrote: Obviously, the shedding of blood by pricking my finger or killing my cat won't fulfill the Biblical requirements for atonement. The Torah delineates how sacrifices are to be brought.

Leviticus 17:11 "For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls..."

Clearly, not any spilled blood is accepted by the Torah as a sacrifice. Jesus' crucifixion may qualify as an atonement according to the Greek Testament, but since his blood was not offered on the altar, it is not in line with what the Torah mandates.

There are actually several other factors which would render the crucifixion of Jesus an unacceptable sacrifice. According to the Biblical rules in Leviticus, all sacrifices had to be offered by a Priest who descends from Aaron. This was not the case in the death of Jesus, who was crucified by Roman soldiers. Additionally, Biblical law prohibited any sacrifice which was blemished or maimed (Leviticus 22:19-21). However, prior to his crucifixion, Jesus was whipped and beaten (Matthew 27:26, Mark 15:19, John 19:3) which would render him unfit. Furthermore, Jesus was circumcised in the flesh, which according to Philippians 3:2 and Galatians 5:12 is considered mutilation.

The Gospel of John portrays Jesus as the Paschal lamb which was not supposed to have any of its bones broken (Exodus 12:46, Numbers 9:12).
John 19:33-36 "But coming to Jesus, when they saw that he was already dead, they did not break his legs...in order that the Scripture might be fulfilled: `Not a bone of him shall be broken.'"

His role was explicitly stated in: 1 Corinthians 5:7 Get rid of the old yeast, so that you may be a new unleavened batch--as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.

The word offering in Ephesians 5:2 is not restricted to the Levitical offerings but to any offering made to or accepted by GOD, legally required or not.

Your conclusion misses the mark as being based upon a false premise.

Jewish sacrifice requires duly authorised:

People

Places

Procedures.

The Roman crucifixion of the donkey-parading, temple-trashing, "King of Israel", "Son of David", possibly fictional Jesus character was NOT a Jewish sacrifice.

Quoting the pro-Jesus biased biographical propaganda does not make the civil prosecution a Jewish human sacrifice the their mythological deity.

Your quotation from Jews for Judaism is EXCELLENT …

This is, after all, their culture and god notion that has been appropriated and distorted by Christianity.

Using terms like "antitype" is an admission the civil prosecution was NOT a legitimate human sacrifice to Jehovah.

The human sacrifice to Jehovah notion smacks of political spin-doctoring.

marco
Savant

Re: The Uncremated Jesus

Post #8

Post by marco »

1213 wrote:
It is interesting why they teach so, when Bible tells that the reason why Jesus came is this:

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, Because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim release to the captives, Recovering of sight to the blind, To deliver those who are crushed, And to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord."

Then he performed very inefficiently. He cured a FEW blind people, if reports are to be believed. The vast majority of blind people did not, of course, meet Jesus. They were left blind and still are.

Christ's good news for the poor was that they would always be with us. Nothing would change for them.

I bet there were many broken-hearted people in Rome, and some 40 years after Christ left, there were many broken-hearted in Pompeii and Herculaneum. Jesus dithered around a few towns, avoid stone throwers, never travelling abroad, so his mission was very limited. As a result we have those Christian messages you think are not his. Had he been less ambiguous and said things as they are instead of talking about seeds, lambs, shepherds, gates and lamps we might be better able to decide what Jesus was all about. In the aims you state for him, he was rather unsuccessful, for a man sent divinely.