Trump's new prosperity gospel evangelist advisor.

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Trump's new prosperity gospel evangelist advisor.

Post #1

Post by 2ndRateMind »

So, it seems one Paula White is to take up a position in Trump's White House as his adviser on religion. Seems further Ms White is an advocate of the prosperity gospel; which broadly runs as follows: 'Be good, give all your spare cash to your pastor, and God will reward you with more cash, later'. The corollary to this doctrine would also be conveniently true for the wealthy parson; if you are poor, it is your own fault, you deserve it, and I need not succour you in your want.

I despise this kind of preaching. It is so obviously corrupt, and so obviously selfishly self-serving for those who preach it, that I wonder why anybody might be taken in by it. But then, Trump isn't the brightest spark amongst individuals. He isn't even intelligent enough to realise he isn't intelligent, as witness his mantra: 'I am a very stable genius'.

From what I can make out, the Christian belief is that God loves us each and all completely and without restraint, saint and sinner alike, and asks of us only that we should love Him, and each other, similarly and similarly freely. Transactions such as: 'I (God) will pay you cash to be good' are just no part of the religion, or the philosophy of the religion. Just as God gives abundantly of His love and His providence, so I think and wish that all humanity should emulate Him in this respect, with no thought of reward. And if the world's wealth may seem somewhat inequitably distributed, that is the result of human failings, rather than a divine one.

It is said that we can tell the character of the man from the company he keeps. I think, in Trump's case, there is a certain degree of truth to this ancient adage.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Menotu
Sage

Re: Trump's new prosperity gospel evangelist advisor.

Post #2

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 1 by 2ndRateMind]

Birds of a feather?
Company begets company?
Trump only cohorts with 'yes men' and the 'yes women' that find him attractive (in what fashion other than power and money I'm not sure).
Shouldn't be surprising.