Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Many 'gods' -- choose one

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

From a current thread:
But have you ever explored any other religion to compare different gods before coming to your decision?
Has anyone here met or corresponded with a person who claimed to have compared gods before choosing one?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Many 'gods' -- choose one

Post #11

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

Compared religions, yes. Gods? Not really. Comparative religions (at least Abrahamic ones, or those derived from Abrahamic religions) all worship the same God.

A question partially rhetorical, and partly because I am wondering. Is there any other God with a code of ethics attached to His name?. The Ten Commandments, is, in effect, the code of Yahweh. Any others?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Zzyzx »

Elijah John wrote: Compared religions, yes.
Comparing three [Abrahamic] religions of the world’s 4000 seems a bit light.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... traditions
Elijah John wrote: Gods? Not really. Comparative religions (at least Abrahamic ones, or those derived from Abrahamic religions) all worship the same God.
One ‘god’ among thousands proposed is equally light.
http://stuffconcerningstuff.blogspot.co ... -gods.html
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

SallyF
Guru

Post #13

Post by SallyF »

I've compared quite few …

And I found this one to be the very WORST of all:

Because:

But I have ended up not choosing any …

For reasons I make as clear as possible here.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

We are taught about the ancient gods in school (Zeus the pedophile, pan the sexual pervert, Molech the baby killer, Cronus the cannabalist...) none of those applealed.

The hindu sex and half human half animal gods seemed just a continuation of such pagan traditions

The Buddhist's god is no God at all and I knew there was no point in worshipping the creation rather than the creator and the shiks nameless God is so vague he is unknowable for all praticle purposes.

It seemed to me only the God of Abraham raised worship to a higher level, above that of creature worship, and invites his worshippers to get to know him by name.

So I did.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS

Two excellent books I can recommend are
Mankind's search for God (pub Jehovahs Witnesses availabe fre online audio/pdf)
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/lv/r1/lp-e/0/56591

and Alexander Hislop's famous : The Two Babylons. (also free - downloadable from the internet)
Go to other posts related to ....

GOD, THE DIVINE NAME and ...THE TRINITY

I wasnt talking about religion I was talking about gods. I dont want a god with ANY sexual perversions, not a single one; one vice is enough for me to reject him/her/it and that is regardless of the religious rites surrounding it. The hindus have literally MILLIONS of gods, I would be dead before I spent any time attempting to get to know them all, my search was for the Supreme God and Creator complete as single individual, that logically shares his position as such with no one. Not even elephants.

This was my personal journey, others may find these gods appealing, I offer no judgement in saying I personally do not
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Willum
Savant

Post #15

Post by Willum »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness]

Interesting, so you hold an unrealistic and contemptuous view of other religions.
You really hold onto your current one because you are familiar with its inanities, and mock others.

Talking snakes and resurrection seem unrealistic to just about everyone else, among many things, as examples.

SallyF
Guru

Post #16

Post by SallyF »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

We are taught about the ancient gods in school (Zeus the pedophile, pan the sexual pervert, Molech the baby killer, Cronus the cannabalist...) none of those applealed.

The hindu sex and half human half animal gods seemed just a continuation of such pagan traditions

The Buddhist's god is no God at all and I knew there was no point in worshipping the creation rather than the creator and the shiks nameless God is so vague he is unknowable for all praticle purposes.

It seemed to me only the God of Abraham raised worship to a higher level, above that of creature worship, and invites his worshippers to get to know him by name.

So I did.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS

Two excellent books I can recommend are
Mankind's search for God (pub Jehovahs Witnesses availabe fre online audio/pdf)
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/lv/r1/lp-e/0/56591

and Alexander Hislop's famous : The Two Babylons. (also free - downloadable from the internet)
Go to other posts related to ....

GOD, THE DIVINE NAME and ...THE TRINITY

I wasnt talking about religion I was talking about gods. I dont want a god with ANY sexual perversions, not a single one; one vice is enough for me to reject him/her/it and that is regardless of the religious rites surrounding it. The hindus have literally MILLIONS of gods, I would be dead before I spent any time attempting to get to know them all, my search was for the Supreme God and Creator that logically shares his position as such with no one. Not even elephants.
The mythological Jehovah is written of in his propaganda as being genocidal.

Is genocide a vice …?

The mythological Jehovah is written of in his propaganda as requiring/receiving human sacrifices.

Is requiring/receiving human sacrifice a vice …?

The mythological Jehovah is written of in his propaganda as impregnating a human virgin.

Is a god impregnating a human virgin a vice …?

Is Jehovah impregnating a virgin so the offspring can become a human sacrifice to himself and then have Son of Jehovah return to this planet to commit mass genocide a vice …?

I certainly wouldn't worship a god with those vices …!

Just as well NOBODY ever demonstrates that Jehovah is any less imaginary than all the gods you don't worship
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Willum
Savant

Post #17

Post by Willum »

SallyF wrote:
Is genocide a vice …?

The mythological Jehovah is written of in his propaganda as requiring/receiving human sacrifices.

Is requiring/receiving human sacrifice a vice …?

The mythological Jehovah is written of in his propaganda as impregnating a human virgin.

Is a god impregnating a human virgin a vice …?

Is Jehovah impregnating a virgin so the offspring can become a human sacrifice to himself and then have Son of Jehovah return to this planet to commit mass genocide a vice …?

I certainly wouldn't worship a god with those vices …!

Just as well NOBODY ever demonstrates that Jehovah is any less imaginary than all the gods you don't worship
Don’t you know an evil, genocidal, rape-promoting, murder-encouraging, paedophile-look-the-other-waying deity is also omnibenevolent if It is also all powerful?

Prove otherwise!

Elijah John
Savant

Post #18

Post by Elijah John »

Zzyzx wrote: .
Elijah John wrote: Gods? Not really. Comparative religions (at least Abrahamic ones, or those derived from Abrahamic religions) all worship the same God.
Who is proposing "thousands" of gods in Western society? That is a straw man argument. Even here on these boards, a sprinkling of pagans and Hindus perhaps, but really no one else here is advocating for such a massive pantheon.

And what exactly are you proposing? That no one can give credible allegiance to a single God without having considered the "thousands" others? Really?

-YHVH is LORD

Elijah John
Savant

Post #19

Post by Elijah John »

Elijah John wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

Compared religions, yes. Gods? Not really. Comparative religions (at least Abrahamic ones, or those derived from Abrahamic religions) all worship the same God.

A question partially rhetorical, and partly because I am wondering. Is there any other God with a code of ethics attached to His name?. The Ten Commandments, is, in effect, the code of Yahweh. Any others?
Also, Z, and anyone else here. I'd really like an answer to the bolded question in my quote. Are there any other proposed "gods" with a code of ethics attached to their name as YHVH has the Ten Commandments attached to His name?

-YHVH is LORD

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by Zzyzx »

Elijah John wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: .
Who is proposing "thousands" of gods in Western society? That is a straw man argument.
OH? Must a ‘god’ be a Western God to be possibly ‘the one true god’?
Elijah John wrote: Even here on these boards, a sprinkling of pagans and Hindus perhaps, but really no one else here is advocating for such a massive pantheon.
I am here ‘on these boards’ stating that thousands of ‘gods’ have been proposed, worshiped, loved, feared, and fought over by humans. I see no reason that any one is any more valid / real than any other. I ask if people consider various ‘gods’ before choosing one.

I trust that most here are aware that people tend to NOT consider alternative ‘gods’ and religions before ‘choosing’ the ones preferred by their family and their society – then defend their choice as though it was the only valid option.
Elijah John wrote: And what exactly are you proposing? That no one can give credible allegiance to a single God without having considered the "thousands" others? Really?
I ask if people consider the other gods available before choosing one to worship.

How does anyone know if they picked the right ‘god’ to worship if they have not considered the competing ‘gods’ – any one of which might be ‘the one true god’ while the one they picked might be just another fraud?

Elijah John wrote:
Elijah John wrote: A question partially rhetorical, and partly because I am wondering. Is there any other God with a code of ethics attached to His name?. The Ten Commandments, is, in effect, the code of Yahweh. Any others?
Also, Z, and anyone else here. I'd really like an answer to the bolded question in my quote. Are there any other proposed "gods" with a code of ethics attached to their name as YHVH has the Ten Commandments attached to His name?
How, exactly, does that relate to the OP?

Does the attachment (by people) of the Ten Commandments to the Jewish ‘god’, assure that the ‘god’ is more than a product of human imagination?
Non-Theist