Why can't women be priests in the Catholic Church?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Why can't women be priests in the Catholic Church?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

The reason for the Catholic Church's prohibition that woman cannot be priests is still found in the church's canon law.

The Church really doesn't want to be accused any longer for teaching that women are inferior to men, although the supplement to Aquinas' writings tells us so.

So the reason given now is that Jesus appointed only men to be priests.

But this claim is incomplete. Jesus only appointed Jewish men to be priests.

But doesn't the Church ordain non- Jewish males? ;)

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Why can't women be priests in the Catholic Church?

Post #2

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 1 by polonius]

The Bible's instruction that women should be submissive to men does not make them "inferior!" Someone has to have the very last word, and it is assigned to men to have it. If women had the last word, men would be arguing that it wasn't fair. So humans and their reasoning can't always win. God says the man is the head of the woman, and if He says it, it is so. (I Corinthians 11:3)

polonius
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by polonius »

onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 1 by polonius]

The Bible's instruction that women should be submissive to men does not make them "inferior!" Someone has to have the very last word, and it is assigned to men to have it. If women had the last word, men would be arguing that it wasn't fair. So humans and their reasoning can't always win. God says the man is the head of the woman, and if He says it, it is so. (I Corinthians 11:3)

Actually, God never said it, Paul wrote Corinthians 1,

Menotu
Sage

Post #4

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 2 by onewithhim]
Someone has to have the very last word, and it is assigned to men to have it.
Who says men have to have it?
If women had the last word, men would be arguing that it wasn't fair.
Why does anyone have to have 'the last word'? Why isn't there a dialog that creates thinking and mutual understanding? Why is it (assuming) 'because I said!"?
So humans and their reasoning can't always win.
Yet God relied on them to write and teach his word? That makes sense.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by polonius »

RESPONSE: Perhaps He didn't. Paul wrote Corinthians!

marco
Savant

Post #6

Post by marco »

The Bible's instruction that women should be submissive to men does indeed make women inferior to men. You cannot use the word submissive and claim otherwise. The ramifications of this absurd advice can be seen in the position of women in some theocracies today. They derive their message from the biblical God as well.

Where women are demonstrably more intelligent than men they should take a lead, not a submissive role. Many of my women students outshone their male counterparts. I didn't suggest they should be submissive.

Occasionally we have to take what we read with a pinch of salt, even if it comes from Paul.

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

Women studied with Jesus, Mary Magdalene calls him Master teacher. They witnessed his ministry, death and resurrection. Jesus even gave them messages to deliver to his Apostles.They were counted as one with Apostles Acts 1:14-15.
God is no respecter of persons - Acts 10:34, Deuteronomy 1:17, 10:17

Jesus is sole teacher - Pastor, Rabbi, Priest but structure is not step up as Jesus instructed. Certainly women can be Assistants under the sole teacher in that structure.

Some are given that message Matthew 19:10-13. We are his witnesses he was flesh is this not considered a union to become as one? He says you will considered as sisters, brothers, mother - Matthew 12:46-50, Luke 8:19-21

onewithhim
Savant

Post #8

Post by onewithhim »

polonius wrote:

I think that it is understood here on this forum that the entire Bible is inspired by God, that He put His thoughts into the minds of the writers of the Bible books. That would include I Corinthians.

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

I think that it is understood here on this forum that the entire Bible is inspired by God, that He put His thoughts into the minds of the writers of the Bible books. That would include I Corinthians.
You must accept as inspired water baptism before you get the holy spirit that is the description Jesus provides Matthew 3:15-17 He says follow him Matthew 16:24

1. There is no record of Paul's water baptism
2. Yahweh had to send 2 witnesses to give him message - Acts 21:4, 10 did not talk to him directly
3. He had thorn of the flesh - 2 Corinthians 12:7-9, Matthew 13:7

He fell to the thorns says Jesus. Who has ears let him hear Matthew 13:9

If Yahweh did not talk directly to him how can you say his words are inspired by Yahweh?

polonius
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by polonius »

onewithhim wrote:
polonius wrote:

RESPONSE:

OK. Lets take a basic question regarding God's authorship of the Bible.

Matt chapter 2 says that Jesus was born during the reign of King Herod who diedin 4 BC.

Luke, on the other hand, tells us that Jesus was born during the 6 AD Judean census.

That's a ten year difference.

Either there are two different Jesus' or this is a divine error. Right?