Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Jesus Says He's The Reason We Are Sinners

Post #1

Post by Miles »

John 15:21-22
21  The world will do all these things to you on account of my name, because it doesn’t know the one who sent me.
22 If I hadn’t come and spoken to the people of this world, they wouldn’t be sinners. But now they have no excuse for their sin.

Which means humanity would have been far better off if god had never dropped Jesus on the world. Right?

Savant

Re: Jesus Says He's The Reason We Are Sinners

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:14 pm .
21  The world will do all these things to you on account of my name, because it doesn’t know the one who sent me.
22 If I hadn’t come and spoken to the people of this world, they wouldn’t be sinners. But now they have no excuse for their sin.
Which means humanity would have been far better off if god had never dropped Jesus on the world. Right?

I don't think so, because eternal life is promised for righteous. Would they have been righteous, if Jesus would not have come on earth?

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

MissKate13
Sage

Post #3

Post by MissKate13 »

Wrong!

I think you are misinterpreting the meaning of Jesus’ words.

The people of the world, whom Jesus speaks of, saw the miracles He performed with their own eyes. They heard His teachings with their own ears. Yet they rejected Him. If they had never seen or heard Him, they wouldn’t have rejected Him, therefore, they wouldn’t have sinned.

Humanity is far better off since the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. Under the law of Moses, sins were never permanently washed away. They were rolled forward year after year, God never forgot their sins. Not so with Jesus. When He cleanses those who obey His gospel, the sins of those people are remembered no more.

John 12:46-48
I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness. If anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world. The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day.

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

Praise YHWH for sending His Son, Jesus, into the world.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:04 am

I don't think so, because eternal life is promised for righteous. Would they have been righteous, if Jesus would not have come on earth?

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
So while all the world would have been without sin had Jesus never entered the picture, you're now saying people would be kept from eternal life because there would have been no one around (Jesus to be specific) to recognize their morality or justified actions (the definition of righteousness---see below) and let them in? That god, who's omnipotent, couldn't do this himself?

right·eous·ness
/ˈrīCHəsnəs/
noun: righteousness
the quality of being morally right or justifiable.

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

MissKate13 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:41 am

Wrong!

I think you are misinterpreting the meaning of Jesus’ words.

The people of the world, whom Jesus speaks of, saw the miracles He performed with their own eyes.
Then you'll need to point out where Jesus redefined the word "world" to mean only those who saw him preform miracles. What ya got?

preaching
preaching
Bible verse
Bible verse
praising

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:07 pm

So while all the world would have been without sin had Jesus never entered the picture, you're now saying people would be kept from eternal life because there would have been no one around (Jesus to be specific) to recognize their morality or justified actions (the definition of righteousness---see below) and let them in? That god, who's omnipotent, couldn't do this himself?
right·eous·ness
/ˈrīCHəsnəs/
God is the one who lets people in, in any case. Jesus doesn't do anything on his own authority, he speaks and acts as God has commanded him to do. But according to the Bible, person must be righteous to get eternal life. If Jesus would not have come on earth, it is possible that many people would not have become righteous, which is why it was good that he came.

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:26 am
Miles wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:07 pm

right·eous·ness
/ˈrīCHəsnəs/
God is the one who lets people in, in any case. Jesus doesn't do anything on his own authority, he speaks and acts as God has commanded him to do. But according to the Bible, person must be righteous to get eternal life. If Jesus would not have come on earth, it is possible that many people would not have become righteous, which is why it was good that he came.
Other than yourself, who says so?

DB
Student

Post #8

Post by DB »

Jesus was talking about the sinners being the unfortunate ones, obviously. And, as Jesus states, they were sinners even before Jesus was born, but now, they have no excuse for their sin. As sinners, they were condemned either way, they just refused to accept the grace that God offered through Christ.
Again, Jesus was talking about those who rejected him as being worse off. But, as far as those who accepted him are concerned, never has a greater gift been given to any of them.

You entirely missed the point of the passage, which is invariable when one simply takes a few verses to make a doctrinal assertion.

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

DB wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:47 pm

Jesus was talking about the sinners being the unfortunate ones, obviously. And, as Jesus states, they were sinners even before Jesus was born, but now, they have no excuse for their sin. As sinners, they were condemned either way, they just refused to accept the grace that God offered through Christ.
Again, Jesus was talking about those who rejected him as being worse off. But, as far as those who accepted him are concerned, never has a greater gift been given to any of them.

You entirely missed the point of the passage, which is invariable when one simply takes a few verses to make a doctrinal assertion.
Excuse me! But If Jesus was talking about the sinners being the unfortunate ones he would have said so, or at least qualified his remark to indicate them, but he doesn't. So his unqualified "the people of the world" stands as written, and can only be read as including everyone.

John 15:22
22If I hadn’t come and spoken to the people of this world, they wouldn’t be sinners. But now they have no excuse for their sin.

That this may conflict with something else he said is too bad, but John 15:21-22 can't be taken on an apologetic carnival ride to get rid of it.

In no uncertain terms Jesus Says He's The Reason We Are Sinners.

DB
Student

Post #10

Post by DB »

Miles wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:55 am
DB wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:47 pm

Excuse me! But If Jesus was talking about the sinners being the unfortunate ones he would have said so, or at least qualified his remark to indicate them, but he doesn't. So his unqualified "the people of the world" stands as written, and can only be read as including everyone.

John 15:22
22If I hadn’t come and spoken to the people of this world, they wouldn’t be sinners. But now they have no excuse for their sin.

That this may conflict with something else he said is too bad, but John 15:21-22 can't be taken on an apologetic carnival ride to get rid of it.

In no uncertain terms Jesus Says He's The Reason We Are Sinners.

Do you not know what 'people of this world' means? Have you failed to recognize the dichotomy that Jesus portrayed in your selected passages?
He was talking to those 'not of this world', as to what 'those of this world' will do to them.

You're way off-base, by several light years.