Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

God May Become An "It"

Post #1

Post by Miles »

From a February 8, Washington Post article

"Is God They/Them? Church of England considers gender-neutral pronouns.

LONDON — The Church of England is exploring whether to use gender-neutral language instead of referring to God solely with masculine pronouns, such as “He” or “Our Father” — which would be a major change after millennia of prayer and teachings.

The church is launching a project on “gendered language” this spring, following a years-long effort to study the ways in which God is referred to and addressed in liturgy and worship.

“Christians have recognised since ancient times that God is neither male nor female,” the Church of England said in an emailed statement. “Yet the variety of ways of addressing and describing God found in scripture has not always been reflected in our worship.”

The British press, which had been following the synod’s discussion over the proposal to allow priests to bless same-sex couples, quickly picked up the comments. Some commentators framed it as a political decision by the church — with one unnamed priest telling the Times of London that some people “think we’re being a bit woke.”

Yet “assigning a gender to God has always been a matter of metaphor, since we are incapable of saying anything that encapsulates divinity effectively in human language,” the Rev. Diarmaid MacCulloch, emeritus professor of the history of the church at Oxford University, said in an email. “It’s therefore only natural that we should explore further how we might speak of God in the liturgy, given the vast shifts in understanding gender and sexuality that are going forward in society.”

So, what do you think, drop the "He/Him/Father" designation and perhaps change it to "She/Her/Mother" for a while----like for a couple thousand years or so----to make up for the somewhat sexist designation god's been saddled with, or go right to "It"? . . Or ? ? ______your suggestion______ .

Savant

Re: God May Become An "It"

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:32 am ...
So, what do you think, drop the "He/Him/Father" designation and perhaps change it to "She/Her/Mother" for a while----like for a couple thousand years or so----to make up for the somewhat sexist designation god's been saddled with, or go right to "It"? . . Or ? ? ______your suggestion______ .
Originally a Christian meant a disciple of Jesus. And a disciple of Jesus is a person who:

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, “If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples.
John 8:31

If they don't do so, they are not Christian. But, obviously they are free to serve what ever god they invent, they just should not in that case call themselves Christian anymore.

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:54 am
Originally a Christian meant a disciple of Jesus. And a disciple of Jesus is a person who:

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, “If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples.

If they don't do so, they are not Christian. But, obviously they are free to serve what ever god they invent, they just should not in that case call themselves Christian anymore.
I assume your argument here is that if Jesus called god "Father" it was incumbent upon his disciples to do the same if they wanted to remain a Christian. Okay, but a little silly don't you think? I would think this would be at the bottom of Jesus's wish list, if anything.

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:20 pm

I assume your argument here is that if Jesus called god "Father" it was incumbent upon his disciples to do the same if they wanted to remain a Christian. Okay, but a little silly don't you think? I would think this would be at the bottom of Jesus's wish list, if anything.

Why would it be silly? Jesus clearly tells, those who remain in his words, are truly his disciples. If person doesn't do so, he obviously is not. And then the question is, if person doesn't do that, why he wants to be called a Christian?

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:27 am
Miles wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:20 pm

Why would it be silly? Jesus clearly tells, those who remain in his words, are truly his disciples. If person doesn't do so, he obviously is not. And then the question is, if person doesn't do that, why he wants to be called a Christian?
Q. Why would Jesus feel it necessary that his followers call god "Father" in order to be a Christian? Did you read this somewhere or is this just your opinion. If it's more than your opinion please cite the relevant book, chapter, and verse.

Thank you

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:49 pm Q. Why would Jesus feel it necessary that his followers call god "Father" in order to be a Christian? Did you read this somewhere or is this just your opinion. If it's more than your opinion please cite the relevant book, chapter, and verse.
I think Jesus thought, if person is his disciple, he remains in word of Jesus.

What do you think that means?

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:38 am
Miles wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:49 pm Q. Why would Jesus feel it necessary that his followers call god "Father" in order to be a Christian? Did you read this somewhere or is this just your opinion. If it's more than your opinion please cite the relevant book, chapter, and verse.
I think Jesus thought, if person is his disciple, he remains in word of Jesus.

What do you think that means?
That if you follow Jesus's teachings then you're one of his disciples. Question is, did Jesus ever teach his followers that it was necessary to call god "father" in order to remain a disciple? If he did then please point out the chapter and verse.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

The God of the bible is presented as an intellegent individual with a unique personality. In English "it" is generally reserved for the inanimate, the mechanical or for animals and unintelligent lifeforms, so I dont think a bible translation that uses the pronoun "it" for GOD would properly reflect the intent of the writers.

To learn more please go to other posts related to ....

GOD, GOD'S PERSONALITY and ... DIVINE GENDER
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:20 pm The God of the bible is presented as an intellegent individual with a unique personality. In English "it" is generally reserved for the inanimate, the mechanical or for animals and unintelligent lifeforms, so I dont think a translation that uses the pronoun "it" for GOD would properly reflect the intent of the writer.
So, what do you suggest? Not drop the "He/Him/Father" designation and perhaps change it to "She/Her/Mother" for a while----like for a couple thousand years or so----to make up for the somewhat sexist designation god's been saddled with, but rather: ________________your suggestion_______________.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:32 amSo, what do you think, drop the "He/Him/Father" designation and perhaps change it to "She/Her/Mother" ...
No, the designation (Father ) is based on scripture (Matthew 6:9)

MATTHEW 28:19

Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit

Bible verses : https://www.openbible.info/topics/god_the_father
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8